Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a TALAS on my Tracer - I think that it's the perfect fork for the bike. I run mine at 100mm for normal trail riding - down for long climbs, all the way up for downhill. I really like being able to change the HA for different riding conditions. I think a 125 would be great for descending, but I prefer the shorter travel options for climbing or tight trails.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
the 2007 fox talas looks promising with the 3 suspension travel settings at 100, 120 and 140mm increments.. you can always reuse it again if you ever decide to go to a bigger travel bike also..

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've got a talas on mine too; it's a good way to go. You might also consider one of the rock shox travel-adjustable forks. A reba or a recon might work well. The only bummer with the talas is that it has to be sent in for service every year or two. It's a good idea to have a travel-adjustable fork to match all of the travel/geometry options of the tracer. It would be pretty cool if the 5.5 had similar adjustments. Maybe you should get on the stick, intense_eng? Heh, heh.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
i like what i ride...

happy camper here w/ my fox 100 RLC.
:thumbsup:

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
tkblazer said:
now that i think about it, if you don't mind changing out to a 20mm front hub... the RS pike would be a sweet fork for the tracer

http://sram.com/en/rockshox/mountainforks/pike/454.php
Second on the Pike or Recon! I have Fox Float 100 RLC and TALAS on my Tracer. I am generally happy with Fox except it's not as resposive (suppleness) as 03 Psylo when I swap it out from time to time. Psylo's pure damping is so responsive on the trail, low or high speed, and their compression adj actually works! Except the lateral and fore-aft flex kills my confidence so I usually end up installing the Fox back. Pike/Recon both have pure damping sytem and RS have beefed their stiffness & durability issue on their 05/06 line forks, I would choose them. I am not saying Fox is bad, I just prefer RS's pure damping as long as it is equiped on their newer line of forks that came out after SRAM has taken charge.

Sorry about the two previous responses. I have no idea how that happened. Seems like while I was typing, my reply got posted twice unintensionally before I was finished.

STH

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Let me go take a look...

Fat Elvis said:
Hey STH, what fork do you have on your tracer again? :p
I know my ramble sounds confusing, what can I say...Talas on the bike, Float 100 & Psylo SL gets swapped time to time. Wish had a Pike...

·
Registered
616 Posts
pike would be too much fork....

....I have a reba aqnd love it but it maxes out at 115mm. The Revelation would be a sweet fork for the Tracer for those taht want a 5 inch fork

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
[]D[][]v[][]D said:
....I have a reba aqnd love it but it maxes out at 115mm. The Revelation would be a sweet fork for the Tracer for those taht want a 5 inch fork
Pike would be a bit much for Tracer up front... However, I don't mine extra pound up front but gain stiffness and plushness! My ideal setup would be to run X-mas XL with Pike up front using 20mm axle then set the travel to anywhere between 95-140mm. PUSH the rear shock and that Tracer becomes one nice trail bike that can climb and drop! It should weigh 29lbs since Fox setup runs tad under 28lbs.

STH

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would stay under 130. I had a Zoke Z1 and it ripped downhill, but was just too much travel for climbing and general trail riding. I believe the tracer was designed for a 100mm fork. 100 is perfect for racing. Anything in the 115-125 is ideal for trail riding. These are my opinions...

·
Registered
939 Posts
i love the vanilla 130 on my small tracer. great clearance, good trail riding set up. also got rear shock pushed. i personally have no problems climbing with the 130 vanilla and it's plush as hell

1 - 17 of 17 Posts