Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which Fork??

I've ridden both the Vanilla 125 and the Sherman Firefly 130MM. Both sweet forks but IMO the Firefly takes the cake. It just feels more solid and man is it plush. I know a lot of folk really like the Z1 FR's. However, I've don't have any experiance on that fork. I personally have the 03 Firefly and couldn't be happier. I'm not a big fan of the SPV technology in a fork although I like it in the rear that is why I went with the 03 because the 04 firefly has the spv.

my .02

·
Registered
436 Posts
I half to agree with the nut, infact are bikes are twins, I think the 03 Fireflys are great forks. I use the 20mm TA version, I liked the Manitou's carriers better than that of the Z1's QR20. That was the first reason I liked the Firefly.The Marzocchi's are great feeling forks, so you cant go wrong with them, other than they are tall. I think that the new crop of 05 forks are going to be the best though, the RS Pike will have 140mm and a 20mm TA that weighs less than 5 pounds, and is about the same height as the Z1. The new Nixon's look nice with 145mm of travel and a short axle to crown measurement, very light, some dont have the SPV damping, they will have the TPC+. Dont forget the new allmountain line of Marzocchis, though they only have 130mm ot travel, the new Z1's will be 150mm of travel.

Couple more to think about, Maveriks DC fork, plenty of Spot riders use them now, and the new SC 125mm Mav., though I would want more travel.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
I am one of those folks that like the Z1 FR w/ the standard qr dropouts. Yes, it's big and burly for a single crown, but the action is butter smooth and the fork resists a lot of deflection hits/twisting, better I think than the Fox fork. And you can't beat the all black color scheme - it's a scary looking fork.

The only thing I don't like is the travel lock down dial on the top of the left fork leg. I run my front brake on the right, so every time my fork bottoms out, the brake line will flick/activate the lockdown lever. I discovered this in a race [wondering why my cushy 5" travel fork was beating me into a pulp] - I ended up sawing off the offending tab on the dial and don't have this problem.

I also think the spot climbs BETTER when the fork isn't in the locked down [30mm travel] mode! Go figure!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.