Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what the best fork is for a RIP.9? I am thinking about the following:

2012 Fox 34 TALAS

Two questions. Would it be good to have 140mm of travel up front on a RIP.9? And how much is travel adjust needed on a RIP? I used it all the time on my old 26er. I really like to shorten the fork on the big climbs.

Thanks for any info.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Rock Shox

I have a Fox F29 FIT and it is a huge pile of dog dung! It doesn't get full travel and the travel it has is harsh. I have gotten it rebuilt twice hoping to fix it to no avail. I would go Rock Shox!!! I have ridden a Rock Shox Reba and it is really a nice fork.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does everyone feel about travel adjust? Is it needed for a RIP to go between 140 and 110 (like it is on a Fox)?

I know Rock Shox is coming out with a new 29er travel adjustable fork, but it is still to be released. Not sure if I can wait that long.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I'm on a new RIP09 (slacker HA) with a 140 Reba RLT. It certainly is smooth and plush. I run it a bit softer than the suggested settings on the stanchion out of personal preference. I don't do drops or big hits, rather, lots of rapid smaller hits. I climb steep stuff fine, but I guess it might be easier if able to drop the fork on the fly. I suspect it's like a lot of things: you're fine without it, then you get it, then you wonder how you could possibly get by without it. My guess is, if you feel it was great to have on your 26er, it'll be great to have on your 29er.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I liked the 140 RLT Ti on my Rip9 & I had no more trouble climbing with it than I did with the Reba XX 120.

I have had quite a bit of riding on a 2012 Revalation 110/140 & its a nice fork & the travel adjust is nice to have but I think on the Rip9 you wouldn't use the travel adjust that much because the 110 is a bit to low for the Rip9 & it just doesn't need it.

The guy that brought my Rip9 liked how it rode with the 140mm on it but I sold the bike with the 120 Fox RL fork & he just didn't like that as much, He is putting a Fox 34 Talas on it this week so I will ride it & see what I think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I liked the 140 RLT Ti on my Rip9 & I had no more trouble climbing with it than I did with the Reba XX 120.

I have had quite a bit of riding on a 2012 Revalation 110/140 & its a nice fork & the travel adjust is nice to have but I think on the Rip9 you wouldn't use the travel adjust that much because the 110 is a bit to low for the Rip9 & it just doesn't need it.

The guy that brought my Rip9 liked how it rode with the 140mm on it but I sold the bike with the 120 Fox RL fork & he just didn't like that as much, He is putting a Fox 34 Talas on it this week so I will ride it & see what I think.
I'd love to hear an update on your RDO vs. RIP comparison after spending a lot of time on the RDO.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I'd love to hear an update on your RDO vs. RIP comparison after spending a lot of time on the RDO.
Yes I have been meaning to wright something but have been trying to work out how to word it.

So I will start with the Jet9, Well the RDO feels lighter,stiffer,faster & smoother than the Jet9 & pedals very well also, I'm not knocking the Jet9 but I cant think of a single place were the Jet9 would work better than the Jet9 Rdo.

Now with the Rip9, the RDO is alot lighter feeling, jumps out of corners alot better, feels as stiff or stiffer than the Rip9.
The RDO is alot better if you have to stand & stomp on the pedals on a pinch climb ( feels like no bob )

Now the bit that will get people saying I don't know what I'm talking about.
The RDO doesn't feel as plush as the Rip9 ( not moving through it's travel on small/med bumps ) but it does feel as smooth & looks after your body the same way/ better.
( I did a 12h event & did more laps than ever before & my last 2 laps were almost my fastest, I just didn't feel beat up at all )

I do think on the very ruff stuff the Rip9 will be a little bit quicker but only a little bit quicker,
However on pretty much everything else the RDO would eat the Rip9. It climbs steps,tree roots & ruts just like the Rip9.

Seated climbing on steep stuff the RDO keeps its front wheel planted better than the Rip9 ( as good as the Jet9 ) but then standing when it really gets steep it transitions better better than the Rip9 but with more grip than the Jet9.

When I had the Rip9 & the Jet9 the Rip9 was always my go to bike, but I would choose the Jet9 when I went riding with people that were fitter & stronger than me to help keep up on climbs ( I don't have any problems keeping up on the down hills on the Jet9 ) I did however have to back off the pace on the Jet9 on the down hill & would have alot more oh $hit moments.

There really isn't much ( in the way of track ) that I would choose the Rip9 over the RDO if I still had it.

I do for the 1st time feel like I'm riding the right bike for me all the time now, sure there will always be a drop or part of a track that for that little part of the track could be better but over all its very good.

On fast down hill I found that with chatter bumps before a corner the Rip9's braking was much better than the Jet9, The RDO feels much the same as the Rip9 for grip in this area.

The Rip9 had much more grip in the rain than the Jet9 ( same wheels & tyres ) I have not had a chance to take the RDO out in the rain yet but plan to do some shuttle runs with the bike this weekend & it looks like it might be raining so we will see.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes I have been meaning to wright something but have been trying to work out how to word it.

So I will start with the Jet9, Well the RDO feels lighter,stiffer,faster & smoother than the Jet9 & pedals very well also, I'm not knocking the Jet9 but I cant think of a single place were the Jet9 would work better than the Jet9 Rdo.

Now with the Rip9, the RDO is alot lighter feeling, jumps out of corners alot better, feels as stiff or stiffer than the Rip9.
The RDO is alot better if you have to stand & stomp on the pedals on a pinch climb ( feels like no bob )

The RDO doesn't feel as plush as the Rip9 ( not moving through it's travel on small/med bumps ) but it does feel as smooth & looks after your body the same way/ better.
( I did a 12h event & did more laps than ever before & my last 2 laps were almost my fastest, I just didn't feel beat up at all )

I do think on the very ruff stuff the Rip9 will be a little bit quicker but only a little bit quicker,
However on pretty much everything else the RDO would eat the Rip9. It climbs steps,tree roots & ruts just like the Rip9.

Seated climbing on steep stuff the RDO keeps its front wheel planted better than the Rip9 ( as good as the Jet9 ) but then standing when it really gets steep it transitions better better than the Rip9 but with more grip than the Jet9.

When I had the Rip9 & the Jet9 the Rip9 was always my go to bike, but I would choose the Jet9 when I went riding with people that were fitter & stronger than me to help keep up on climbs ( I don't have any problems keeping up on the down hills on the Jet9 ) I did however have to back off the pace on the Jet9 on the down hill & would have alot more oh $hit moments.

There really isn't much ( in the way of track ) that I would choose the Rip9 over the RDO if I still had it.

I do for the 1st time feel like I'm riding the right bike for me all the time now, sure there will always be a drop or part of a track that for that little part of the track could be better but over all its very good.

On fast down hill I found that with chatter bumps before a corner the Rip9's braking was much better than the Jet9, The RDO feels much the same as the Rip9 for grip in this area.

The Rip9 had much more grip in the rain than the Jet9 ( same wheels & tyres ) I have not had a chance to take the RDO out in the rain yet but plan to do some shuttle runs with the bike this weekend & it looks like it might be raining so we will see.

I hope this helps.
Very helpful thank you for taking the time. One more question if you get a chance. You say that the RDO feels better than the Jet9 in every situation and better than the RIP in almost every situation. Would you say that the few sections of trail you might prefer the RIP on are due to the RIP9's ability to take the bumps better because it feels more plush/stable, or because it's a very steep down and you miss the slacker head tube angle of the RIP9? Where you ride is headtube angle even an issue in comparison between these two? Thanks again.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Very helpful thank you for taking the time. One more question if you get a chance. You say that the RDO feels better than the Jet9 in every situation and better than the RIP in almost every situation. Would you say that the few sections of trail you might prefer the RIP on are due to the RIP9's ability to take the bumps better because it feels more plush/stable, or because it's a very steep down and you miss the slacker head tube angle of the RIP9? Where you ride is headtube angle even an issue in comparison between these two? Thanks again.
HA is not really a problem for me, It's more about when you get air & landing on a none flat surface, But still not alot in it.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Hmm

I hope this helps.
The RIP 9 is a great bike but feels like a 29er while the Jet 9 feels like a 26er so many ways: climbs awesome, turns fast, and is a heck of a lot of fun. But, sure, it is rougher riding in the rough and will never feels as stable. I want a Jet 9 RDO but the price tag is silly. A 20% after Thanksgiving would help :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im buying a used rip9 tang. The problem is all I have is my RST m29 100mm fork.

The rip9 was built for a 120mm fork right?

I researched about my fork and from crown to dropout the measurement is 510mm white the fox 120 is 520mm.

Will there be there be a big change when I just use my RST?

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
All this Rockshox love makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I'm building a Canfield Yelli Screamy 29er and first bought a 2011 Fox F29 Float FIT RLC OE for it and was content on the purchase, but an opportunity fell into my lap and I was able to get my hands on the new 2012 Rockshox Revelation RLT 140 29 (a model not available for aftermarket sale for 2012) and so stoked to be running that. It's great to hear people loving their Rebas 140. :thumbsup:

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Has anyone tried the Revelation XX on their RIP? I have a REBA XX on my SIR, and freaking love it! I'm curious how this performs in comparison to the REBA. The X-Loc is awesome, and it looks like this fork has it as well.

Revelation XX | SRAM
It is a nice fork on a rip9, It uses all of it's travel very well & the Pop Loc remote is very good for the out of the seat pinch climbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just installed a 140mm White Brothers Loop TCR on my RIP9. The TCR features are pretty awesome, and I love the fork. It's got pretty good small bump compliance, and it handles drops really well too, so far. I think I am liking it more than my Rockshox revelation.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a Revelation XX (set to 120mm) on my 2011-2012 RIP, and it works great! I also recently switched to a Monarch XX in the rear, and love being able to lock both the front and rear out with the push of a button. The bar is a little full due to have two brake levers, two shifters, and two remotes, but it's not a huge deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Revelation XX (set to 120mm) on my 2011-2012 RIP, and it works great! I also recently switched to a Monarch XX in the rear, and love being able to lock both the front and rear out with the push of a button. The bar is a little full due to have two brake levers, two shifters, and two remotes, but it's not a huge deal.
now all you need is a drop post and an ejection seat and tour cockpit will be complete! Just saying ... ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.