Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride mainly technical XC and some AM. Lots of rocky, rooty singletrack with a lot of climbing - both techinal and not-so-technical stuff . The bike right now weights 27.0 lbs with the F-series 120mm fork. In the 2005 owners manual, Yeti specs out a 130mm fork. When shopping for Fox Float fork, they stopped making a 130mm version in 2007. All of them from 2008 to 2011 are either 140mm or 150mm.

I bought a Fox Float 140mm RLC fork for it and my question is - did I buy the right fork for my type of riding? I didn't mount it yet and didn't sell the 120mm yet either. Is it better to keep the 140mm float and get 10mm spacers to lower the travel to 130mm? Is the 140mm noticibly worst than the 130mm for XC steep climbing?

·
Mr. Knowitall
869 Posts
If the rear travel is the same as for the 2008+ model, I do not think you did something wrong - you did something right! I have the 140 TALAS on mine (08) and this fits the bike perfect. Do not need the travel adjuster, though. Or - I probably need it, but always forget to stretch it out for the decents.

If you want a 130mm fork, and are a bit crazy, you can go for an 09 Lefty. They are 130mm. If you also want your fork to have 130mm travel, I guess a good Fox service centre (or the occational Fox-internals nerd) should be able to lower the travel by 10mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rear travel is the same on both models- 5.75". On your Talas 140mm fork - is the 140mm the full extension or is it the lower or middle setting?

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
I'm running a Float RLC 140 on my 06, same as your bike. Traded out a 130 Vanilla that came with the bike. Seems to fit the bike well, no complaints here. I use every bit of the travel riding terrain similar to what you describe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts