Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up new rig which has 140mm PIKE RCT3 fork.

I am 60KG ready to ride.
Running zero tokens and 60psi.
Definitely not getting full use of the travel. I will drop the pressure a bit but if i go to low I think that will generate other negative consequences with the reduced pressure.

Anyone have thoughts on doing the HC97 conversion from PUSH?
Will this help the situation?

Or chuck the Pike and throw on something else. What is the best fork for light riders in the 140mm-150mm range? I’m running fork on Jamis Portal (130mm rear)

I feel like the standard offerings from Rockshox and Fox do not offer enough adjustment for someone of my weight. Cane creek? DVO? MRP?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just picked up new rig which has 140mm PIKE RCT3 fork.

I am 60KG ready to ride.
Running zero tokens and 60psi.
Definitely not getting full use of the travel. I will drop the pressure a bit but if i go to low I think that will generate other negative consequences with the reduced pressure.

Anyone have thoughts on doing the HC97 conversion from PUSH?
Will this help the situation?

Or chuck the Pike and throw on something else. What is the best fork for light riders in the 140mm-150mm range? I'm running fork on Jamis Portal (130mm rear)

I feel like the standard offerings from Rockshox and Fox do not offer enough adjustment for someone of my weight. Cane creek? DVO? MRP?

Thanks for your input!
You'd benefit from a custom tune, reduced HSC and LSC damping, and maybe a lighter weight oil. I've got a light tune Pike, and it's much suppler than a standard one.

Most suspension products are designed for an 80kg rider, so you'll always find the fork overdamped. But you should be able to find a good tune by getting someone to reshim it for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'd benefit from a custom tune, reduced HSC and LSC damping, and maybe a lighter weight oil. I've got a light tune Pike, and it's much suppler than a standard one.

Most suspension products are designed for an 80kg rider, so you'll always find the fork overdamped. But you should be able to find a good tune by getting someone to reshim it for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Which is why i am wondering if HC97 could potentially be an option since it replaces the stock compression assembly...

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Is this a 2019 pike? How is it riding otherwise? You don’t have to be getting full travel if it works well otherwise, but I would suggest 50-55psi as a starting pressure though and see how that helps.

It’s a myth that stock tunes are designed for someone around 80kg, most have a soft base tune and/or wide adjustment range so it will work OK for the most riders. Some rebound tunes are set for around 80kg and could do with altering but the charger 2 pike actually has the best rebound valving out there for light riders. It’s the people over 80 that should retune it!

Fox grip 2 has a wider damping range but the chassis is less sensitive so not ideal for lighter people IMO

Friction is more important for light people IMO and RS tends to be the best out of the box.

DVO is pretty good, same with cane creek, but I see quite a few CC forks that are sticky in the bushes. I still pick RS for light people.

I’m not wild about MRP

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this a 2019 pike? How is it riding otherwise? You don't have to be getting full travel if it works well otherwise, but I would suggest 50-55psi as a starting pressure though and see how that helps.

It's a myth that stock tunes are designed for someone around 80kg, most have a soft base tune and/or wide adjustment range so it will work OK for the most riders. Some rebound tunes are set for around 80kg and could do with altering but the charger 2 pike actually has the best rebound valving out there for light riders. It's the people over 80 that should retune it!

Fox grip 2 has a wider damping range but the chassis is less sensitive so not ideal for lighter people IMO

Friction is more important for light people IMO and RS tends to be the best out of the box.

DVO is pretty good, same with cane creek, but I see quite a few CC forks that are sticky in the bushes. I still pick RS for light people.

I'm not wild about MRP
I am 99% sure it is a 2019 Pike...anyway to confirm using serial #?

I've only done a few rides on this bike so far and it seems to be riding well so I will continue to make changes and catalog some data points to determine what I want to do next. I am in Northern NJ and my local trails have ALOT of roots and rock gardens so I am looking to optimize performance for those conditions...

If I do make a change to a different fork, I am eyeing the CC HELM...I have a CC DBair IL on the rear of the bike and its been fantastic so far...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am 99% sure it is a 2019 Pike...anyway to confirm using serial #?

I've only done a few rides on this bike so far and it seems to be riding well so I will continue to make changes and catalog some data points to determine what I want to do next. I am in Northern NJ and my local trails have ALOT of roots and rock gardens so I am looking to optimize performance for those conditions...

If I do make a change to a different fork, I am eyeing the CC HELM...I have a CC DBair IL on the rear of the bike and its been fantastic so far...
Try this:
https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/search/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.