Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
So I got the Deity T-Mac flats and mostly love them. They are BEYOND grippy. They're like tiger/bear claws digging into your shoes, but then also your legs, haha. I've already cut myself up real good with these bad boys. Love the insane grip, love the concave shape, but don't like how sharp and tall the pins are.

So I'm looking for good suggestions for a similar pedal, but with pins that can be lowered, and/or much shorter pins, but still have a large platform AND a concave shape.

When I bought these, I was also considering the: Anvl Tilt's, the Nuke Proof Horizon Pro, OneUp's, Hope F20 and DMR Vaults. Do any of those have a concave shape AND have pins that can be lowered into the pedal or have really short pins put in?

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
I use pedals with stubby pins. Short without any sharpness. They work great with trailrunners or running shoes with an open tread pattern. You put weight on them with heels low when you go over rocky/rooty terrain segments. You can't be bounced off. They don't cut up my shins. Wellgo makes some at low prices. Out of stock at CRC Link. You can find similar on ebay or Amazon.

Long sharp pins are needed if you stay seated when running through everything because you have little weight on your pedals.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The spank oozy is dead flat and grips fine, the DMR vault is concave and super grippy. Deftrap is like a plastic TMac with little bit less grip, you can buy a pin kit with shorter pins. It was too grippy for me, so I lowered some of the pins. Great pedal. Atlas is nice, slightly less grippy than the last two but it's actually a good balance. The Deftrap especially is way too grippy with the original pins (with shorter pins its fine).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the T-Macs and loved the insane grip. But, I started clipping too many rocks and had to be selective on when to pedal too often. I went with the OneUp composites and really like them. Pins are 4mm instead of 5mm like the T-Macs. Also, the composite pedals seem to glide over rocks easier where the T-Macs would almost buck me off the bike.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Buy a pack of DMR vault flip pins and run them on the short round side. I believe the t mac and vaults use the same thread size. Double check that. There are also pin spacers that can be used to shorten the pin height of your stock pins.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So I got the Deity T-Mac flats and mostly love them. They are BEYOND grippy. They're like tiger/bear claws digging into your shoes, but then also your legs, haha. I've already cut myself up real good with these bad boys. Love the insane grip, love the concave shape, but don't like how sharp and tall the pins are.

So I'm looking for good suggestions for a similar pedal, but with pins that can be lowered, and/or much shorter pins, but still have a large platform AND a concave shape.

When I bought these, I was also considering the: Anvl Tilt's, the Nuke Proof Horizon Pro, OneUp's, Hope F20 and DMR Vaults. Do any of those have a concave shape AND have pins that can be lowered into the pedal or have really short pins put in?
Looks like your pedals using standard pins, so you can replace them with shorter pins (like Crankbrothers Mallet and 5050 Pin Kit), or you can also screw your pins couple mm inside the pedals.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
I am sad to say that my favorite pedals are no longer the more expensive options that I used to have but are now the kona wah wah 2 . Initially grabbed a set for my pub crawl bike and they felt so good I tried them on my mountain bike(s). Now my tmacs are on my pub crawl bike......
This is my favorite as well, only in composite. I am also running OneUp composites and RaceFace Chesters and prefer the Kona Wah Wah 2 composites over them all.

·
Registered
Beers. Bikes. Battlestar Galactica.
322 Posts
Crankbrothers Stamp Large if you need a similar size to T-Macs. They're slightly wider but also thinner, with a less concave platform and shorter pins. Not quite as grippy, but still a really good pedal. Might be just what you're looking for. I ran mine for two years and got on well with them before swapping to T-Macs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To anyone that knows, do the DMR Vaults allow you to swap in shorter pins, or lower them with spacers? That was the pedal I WAS going to get, but the T-Macs just looked so big and read they had such insane grip. Which they do, haha. And I love them for that, but not for regular trail riding days. For DH or Park, for sure.

Also, what length are the T-Mac pins?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the same problem with my T-macs swapped out the pins and life is good. If my memory is correct they are an m4 thread I think I put in 6mm long grub screws

Other pedals on other bikes are Crank Bros Stamp 7, HT ME03T, and Specialized Boomslang. With the smaller pins on the T macs they all have about the same level of grip. Except for the boomslangs have away more, and I don't get cut every time they brush my calf.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Nobody's asking the most important question: what color do you want? For example, my next pedals have to be OneUp composites, because they're the only pedals with a deep blue that matches my Ergon grips' Midsummer Blue. Every other company only offers light blue. Ew. 😜

·
Registered
957 Posts
Crankbrothers Stamp Large if you need a similar size to T-Macs. They're slightly wider but also thinner, with a less concave platform and shorter pins. Not quite as grippy, but still a really good pedal. Might be just what you're looking for. I ran mine for two years and got on well with them before swapping to T-Macs.
I have these mostly because they are orange, but they seem great from a functional point of view too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like your pedals using standard pins, so you can replace them with shorter pins (like Crankbrothers Mallet and 5050 Pin Kit), or you can also screw your pins couple mm inside the pedals.
Do you know how long the pins that come with the T-Macs are? And you can't screw them in a few mm. You can't screw them down at all. I tried already and Deity said you can't. At this point, I'm looking for shorter pins that are M4 thread, that way I can keep the amazing pedal platform, just put in shorter less aggressive pins. Those pedals would be grippy as sh*t even with short pins, haha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.