Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hurt my back a few weeks ago and have not been able to ride. Last night I noticed a little sealant leakage where the tire meets the rim. (Stan’s sealant, Bontrager tires and rims). Is this a concern? What’s the best fix? Just wipe it off and ride? Add some sealant? Dismount tire and clean it + new sealant? I’ve seen threads about sealant coming through a tire but not where it comes through the the tire/rim juncture.

I thought I had two photos but guess only one. The other tire shows a bigger leak with it running down the sidewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
If it's not visibly leaking air after you add sealant and pump it up to pressure, it should be fine. While you have it deflated to add sealant, it wouldn't hurt to check that section of the rim/bead for debris. I've also learned (it took me a while) that it's really helpful to have the full bead of the tire well lubed and wet with soapy water to get a better initial bead set when first inflated, some rims/tires it's more important than others, -sometimes the bead will not slip into the rim correctly if not lubed.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Don't sweet it. Sometimes you'll see weeping through the sidewalls too. It's just something that happens randomly with any given tire with stans it seems. You may go a while before you see it again but you'll likely experience some degree of weeping in the future.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Did you check if there is a puncture along the bead?
Any repair tips for this kind of issue? I have a very small tear just above the bead that stans is not sealing well at pressure. The tire is fine and pretty new. I am going to run a tube today as it is my rear. and then swap it for the front so the tubed tire is not under my butt. I would rather be tubeless on both ends and don't really want to buy a new tire.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any repair tips for this kind of issue? I have a very small tear just above the bead that stans is not sealing well at pressure. The tire is fine and pretty new. I am going to run a tube today as it is my rear. and then swap it for the front so the tubed tire is not under my butt. I would rather be tubeless on both ends and don't really want to buy a new tire.
I was in the same situation. My bike was a month old and first time to converted to tubeless when I have that puncture.

I would first try to add the pressure to around 15-20 psi. Hold the wheel so the puncture position is at 6 o'clock and shake the wheel so the sealant can get to the puncture. This got my tire kind of sealed but it was still bubbles a bit with a very very small leak. It should seal completely if you let it sit overnight.

The problem with this kind of puncture is that there is not a way you can orientate the wheel that you can let the sealant "sit" on the hole.

·
Registered
783 Posts
That was my life yesterday, getting my shins nice and Stan-ed while trying to get sealant up by the rim. Under pressure today it is still not holding. I am tubed for now to keep riding. I'll see what I can do with a tire patch over the weekend.

OP, check your sealant levels periodically. My debacle started with a trailside flat a few weeks back that would have sealed if I had not weeped my way dry. I think the little bit of riding flat is what caused the slightly bigger and problematic tear I am dealing with now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.