Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

Yes I started by doing a search, but still wanted your opinions based on what's open and rippable.

Headed up to the Boat this weekend with the family and I'm going to sneak a short ride in Thursday night (2-3 hours?) and then hoping to do an epic ride on Saturday. What does everyone recommend?

Thursday: Accessible 10-15 miler that can be ridden at dusk or night w/ lights.

Saturday: Looking for an epic ride. Steamboat's version of Monarch Crest, Kenosha with endless single track ripping through aspen groves, and plenty of technical challenges in the 20-30ish miles range. THANKS for the recommendations!

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
There is a GREAT ride that starts at the top of Rabbit Ears pass and finishes at the base of the ski mountain. SUPEr epic and just what you're looking for, and has the option of riding Fish Creek Falls as well. I can't exactly remember the name of this ride, but a quick Google search turned up some info that might be helpful:

http://www.single-serving.com/USA/CO/steamboat-trails.php

·
Registered
286 Posts
Full Trucker said:
There is a GREAT ride that starts at the top of Rabbit Ears pass and finishes at the base of the ski mountain. SUPEr epic and just what you're looking for, and has the option of riding Fish Creek Falls as well. I can't exactly remember the name of this ride, but a quick Google search turned up some info that might be helpful:

http://www.single-serving.com/USA/CO/steamboat-trails.php
Much snow still up on the divide. I can guarantee it is not rideable without having to hike over snowdrifts, through bogs and over loads of dead fall. In fact the cover of the paper today had a pic of a hiker walking atop some 20 foot drift up there. At least it looked to be 20 foot.

For a "short" two or three hours I would ride Hot Springs from town then up Mad Creek over and up to Red Dirt then back and over the Hot Springs to town.

For an epic I would suggest MRP from town. I suspect it's good to go but I don't know for sure. I am going to head up there tonight if it doesn't storm.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I heard Hot Springs, Mad Creek, Red Dirt is good to go for your Thurs ride. The one from Rabbit Ears over to the ski area might still be snowed in; look at Rabbit Ears Pass when you drive in and gauge it. Emerald is 100% - fun loops right in town! Spring Creek might also be do-able, altho I've always felt it a waste of sweat!
FYI, most of the rides in the 'Boat is on par w/ Centennial Cone, with the exception of Fish Creek. But FC is most likely still snowed in - Buffalo Mtn typically gets 2x the snow of the ski area and FC is the drainage between the two areas.
Hope this helps. You might also want to PM MarcoInTheBoat.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
The ride we did on the last day of the RMH gathering last year would most definitely qualify. That was an epic with beautiful variety. Unfortunately I didn't keep a record of what that ride actually was, maybe ibmkidIII or ignazjr could chime in.

_MK

·
Semper Ardens
83 Posts
Pau11y said:
I heard Hot Springs, Mad Creek, Red Dirt is good to go for your Thurs ride.
Rode that exact loop + lower part of Bear Creek Trail last week. Dry as a bone. Best part: Finishing the ride with a dip in the hot springs ($10 per person)

Pau11y said:
Emerald is 100% - fun loops right in town!
Fun for sure! Tried to find a map of the area, but were not successful. Ended up just going out and taking random trails. All good.

The wild flowers in Steamboat are amazing right now.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
MK_ said:
The ride we did on the last day of the RMH gathering last year would most definitely qualify. That was an epic with beautiful variety. Unfortunately I didn't keep a record of what that ride actually was, maybe ibmkidIII or ignazjr could chime in.

_MK
Hah, I saw a bunch of you RMH ppl going across Rabbit Ears to Fish Creek. That's a sweet ride! We headed over to the ski area. Maybe some of you remember...long hair Asian dude?
The Emerald thing... if you climb to the top (Stairway to Heaven or Lane of Pain), head south -towards the ski area, and drop off the back side, you can come down the power line right-of-way into a development call Tree Haus. Then, you can come back to Emerald via a lower trail right on top of River Road.
I never found it, but supposedly, you can con't after the drop off the top to another development on the back side and come back even further down the road (Dakota Ridge or the Pines) via Cow Creek? That should be all dry and blooming right now.
North Routt might also be good to go...North/South Fork. The river crossings might be a bit high (and WAY COLD) at the moment.
Woo.. the Hot Springs ride might be worked even longer if you do Elk Park and then climb back up to do Red Dirt...

Edit: By the looks of ssperl's pics, Rabbit Ears to FC/ski area might be pretty close! I wanna go down FC on the Nomad! :D

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
The divide is wet....Probably cant make have too much real "epic" without including it

MRP is nice...only done the lower so far though

Done a few trails off of parts of buff pass as well

North routt is in good shape....done most all of it...might could link up a bunch out there for "epic"

Some stuff off of lynx pass south of town is also an option

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.