Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey endurance bikers...

Im moose8500 and live in the dominican republic, where there is like only one or two real endurance races per year... Mostly what I do here is just XC racing...

In between these dates I have a trip planned to the states, and am wondering what interesting bike events are going on between these dates. Preferably, since I don't have so much experience in endurance races, I would try a 12 hour or 8 hour or something like that, but i guess I could try and do a 24 too...

I hope you guys can give me some info on any events, as well as what kind of atmosphere there is for out of state/country riders at these events and where I could stay for the night before, etc... Just in case it's an issue, I'm 16 and planning to go to conquistadores in costa rica next year...

Thanks for any info,
nick

·
Registered
528 Posts
12 Hours of Humboldt - Of Course!

12 Hours of Humboldt in Arcata, CA on July 9th, ran by Team Bigfoot is one of my all-time favorite endurance races (another being the 12 Hours of Weaverville, by the same peeps.. but that's on May 28th).

Very homey/grassroots feel to the races, very friendly and personal. Great atmosphere and sweet race course. Nearby camping or hotels. Last year we grabbed a room in Redding and drove in to the race that morning. Lots of others people camped around the corner from the race.

http://www.teambigfoot.net/

I believe it's also a WSC qualifier.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Check www.ride424.com for a list of endurance races. I don't see too many on the east coast between July 18 and August 14.

You could do the Wilderness 101 in Coburn, Pensylvania on July 30. 101 mile race that takes ~8 hours to complete. Pretty big list of racers including some good pros.

There's the Wild 100 in Slatyfork, West Virginia on August 13th. It's only 100K, but it sounds like a pretty popular event.

I haven't done either of these events so I don't know where to stay. I usually camp in a tent for larger race venues. If you're looking for a hotel, just type in the City, State and date before the race into www.expedia.com or www.travelocity.com or something like that. They should find a hotel nearby with low rates.

Hmm... Looking at my race calendar, I don't have a race on July 30. Just a small, local race on Aug. 2. The Wilderness 101 is only 4 hours from me. Maybe I'll add it to my schedule.

- Jeremy -

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
It's a big country ....where are you going to be?

Here's two in the southeast:
Off Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell: 65 miles and 12,000 ft. of climbing in the rugged Pisgah National Forest (Old Fort, NC) surrounding the tallest mountain of the east coast. Usually held at the end of July. Contact Todd Branham of Blue Ridge Adventures at 828-606-5107. http://wncmountaingoatepics.com/offroadassaultmt_mitchell.htm

The "Trail to Trail" race is a combination of mountain bike racing and road racing, pushing solo and team riders to their limits on and off the trail. Usaully in early August http://redtrailracing.com/

Eddie O

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wilderness 101

I second that you should do the Wilderness 101, which is near State College, Pennsylvania. The riding is real good. The event is first class all the way. If you finish, you will not be disappointed! Check here for details:

www.mtntouring.com

It's a significant undertaking, though, and is something that you need to be training for. It's not the 100 miles that will get you, it's all the climbing.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The only reason I'm considering the Wilderness 101 is because the Shenandoah 100, the other event that the organizer promotes, is just the best organized and supported (and the hardest!) event you can imagine. I've heard the 101 is the same, so it's the one I'd recommend w/o experience in the others. Wild 100 is a lot of fun with a great venue and atmosphere, but smaller and includes needing the ability to do some serious orientation- a lot of the people that finished well this last year went off trail/fireroad and forged their way up a dry river bed instead. That's just not how my little mountain biking brain works (I look at the map and say "how can I get the most trail riding out of this?"), but the adventure racers love that stuff...Peace, Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I know the wilderness 101 that someone mentioned looks pretty sweet, but that other event of Mt. Mitchell in N.C. is just much closer to where I'll be and fits better date-wise... I hope it turns out to be a good event, we'll see...

Once again thanks for all the suggestions, I will be posting later on when I begin to prepare for a trip I have planned out to Moab or Colorado...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Go to the NC thread

and do a search on the Off-Road Assault, Mount Mitchell. There was a lot of discussion about it last year. I haven't done that race due to schedule conflicts, but it's within a 1/2 hour of my front door and I ride those trails a lot. Fantastic, epic mountain biking in and of itself. Add a race feeling and what do you get...FUN! Peace, Mike

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm sure the Mt Mitchel race will be good... just be ready for the climbing!!! It's about the same total elevation gain as the Wilderness101/SM100, but you get it in 65 miles instead of 100. Must be pretty brutal and steep! I have been wanting to try it, too, so maybe I'll se e you there this year.

·
Dirt Whore
297 Posts
Mike Brown said:
The only reason I'm considering the Wilderness 101 is because the Shenandoah 100, the other event that the organizer promotes, is just the best organized and supported (and the hardest!) event you can imagine. I've heard the 101 is the same, so it's the one I'd recommend w/o experience in the others. Wild 100 is a lot of fun with a great venue and atmosphere, but smaller and includes needing the ability to do some serious orientation- a lot of the people that finished well this last year went off trail/fireroad and forged their way up a dry river bed instead. That's just not how my little mountain biking brain works (I look at the map and say "how can I get the most trail riding out of this?"), but the adventure racers love that stuff...Peace, Mike
I have never done an endurance even, I was considering the 101 but the I want to do the Jay Challenge and it is on the same weekend. The Jay Challenge looks way more bad ass. I think it will be a good time.

·
The Riddler
1,054 Posts
Pedro K said:
I have never done an endurance even, I was considering the 101 but the I want to do the Jay Challenge and it is on the same weekend. The Jay Challenge looks way more bad ass. I think it will be a good time.
Indeed it is! I have talked to people who have done both and apparently the wilderness/shendonah are, while long and hilly, nowhere near the kick ass nature of Jay. It's an amazing race with everything: technical singletrack, bombing descents, long climbs, steep climbs, long steep climbs, its awesome. I seriously suggest it.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
I've done Mitchell,

moose8500 said:
thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I know the wilderness 101 that someone mentioned looks pretty sweet, but that other event of Mt. Mitchell in N.C. is just much closer to where I'll be and fits better date-wise... I hope it turns out to be a good event, we'll see...

Great race, free beer and a burrito. Lots of fireroad climbing, tons of sweet singletrack descending. I plan on going back if I can fit it in. Two hours from my house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.