Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster.... I've done a search without success, so here's a question.

On one of my bikes I run a Shimano front hub dynamo. It is for some winter riding and wet weather riding and bar runs and other general riding. But we also do some more serious rides on which these bikes are taken and it's comforting to know that the battery will never be discharged and I never have to recharge it. It's virtually transparent on the bike - meaning I can't feel the resistance and it is hidden from view by the handlebars.

The light I have now is adequate. It's a Lumotec IQ (not sure of the sub-model...) and does OK but not great. It is nice for illuminating right near the front wheel but doesn't really project much.

I know that the current crop of battery lights are winners and I just ordered a Seca 1400 for some of the night rides. But I really like the dynamo concept for commuting and less intense riding.

Do any of you light geeks (I'm one too! :D ) have a suggestion on 'best' generator driven light? I.e. - Brightest and best projection?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I think the IQs have improved over the recent years so do check your model.

I run an IQ Cyo and its plenty of light for fast riding on dry roads. Occasionally I can't see far enough around sharp bends.
For wet black roads its really hard to get good illumination.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been thinking of going the dynamo route, so I've searched the net for anything on the topic.

Read a review that said the B&M IQ CYO RT (with daytime running lights) was the worst headlight tested, despite having good light output. It seems that particular models unusual reflector/lens may not be optimal.

If that's what you have (I can't tell from the pic, but it's possible), you may be able to get the other reflector/lens from B&M, since your housing is shared across some of the model line.

I agree with znomit, the IQ CYO should be all the light you need.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I am getting annoyed by constant battery charging and battery failures, something like this would be pretty cool. Do any of the dynamo hubs offer the ability to convert back and forth to 20mm/15mm/QR? Seems like most of what I've seen is road oriented, thusly QR.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,563 Posts
Jim311 said:
I am getting annoyed by constant battery charging and battery failures, something like this would be pretty cool. Do any of the dynamo hubs offer the ability to convert back and forth to 20mm/15mm/QR? Seems like most of what I've seen is road oriented, thusly QR.
Not that I am aware of. Everything I've seen is 9mm QR.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
ktronik said:
Or you could try a light I make...
What do I get from you compared to the SuperNova triple?

- brightness/beam pattern?
- Low speed brightness?
- standby feature?

E3 triple costs $235 with local USA shipping, yours costs $250 or $280 plus shipping from Oz.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
ktronik said:
In the old days if we wanted it stiffer up front, we would install a 9/1 solid axial w nuts...
Can't swap the axles in the Shimano and SRAM dyno hubs, SRAM claims to have solid axle dynohubs, never saw one in the US. Shimano is QR only from what I've seen.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just had a quick look at the exploded view of the Shimano hub, and part 5 is axial and geny bits, that don't look to come apart, as the above posts state, bummer

When you trade reflector/optic size and weight, so smaller and lighter, you
normaly get less LUX, or punch out the front.

So if your main consern is weight, size I tick the right box, but if it's beam pattern, your after, the bigger lights will win every time

my dynamo light is made for off road 24hr racing, when using xpe it's an ok beam pattern on the road.

On my old website, below on sig, you can see graphs of light vs speed ect for the different power curves I offer

I do offer different size standlite caps

I don't offer a cutoff on the top of the beam so not legal in Germany

hope this help

ktronik

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.