Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at pulling the trigger on either the salsa spearfish or canyon neuron (aluminum models).
Most of my rides will be light trail or gravel and possibly the true grit race next year..any suggestions.
thanks.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Downcountry is of course an excellent term that puts a name to a type of bike that many people are interested in. Salsa use the term at the top of the page for the Spearfish.

I can't tell you what components you like or what geo you like, and I can't compare the suspension of the bikes because the manufacturers don't publish it and linkagedesign.blogspot hasn't analyzed them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
So you want an XC bike?

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Wait.

There's already "Frontcountry","Backcountry", "Sidecountry" "Downcountry" and now "Upcountry". When are we getting just "Country"? With rhinestones and Merican flags maybe?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
In a BigCountry, dream to stay with you, live a lover's voice, across the mountain side.

Reactions: shekky

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I’m ok with the term Downcountry. It’s an xc bike that can still rip downhill. The Giant Trance 29 and the Santa Cruz Tallboy both do that.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
I'm ok with the term Downcountry. It's an xc bike that can still rip downhill. The Giant Trance 29 and the Santa Cruz Tallboy both do that.
It's a stupid term. Some magazine writer came up with it and now marketing morons are falling over themselves to make sure they label their bikes with it, even though lots of bikes have been xc-capable, but also rip downhill, for many years without the stupid label.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
I'm ok with the term Downcountry. It's an xc bike that can still rip downhill. The Giant Trance 29 and the Santa Cruz Tallboy both do that.
So basically, an XC bike?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
It's a stupid term. Some magazine writer came up with it and now marketing morons are falling over themselves to make sure they label their bikes with it, even though lots of bikes have been xc-capable, but also rip downhill, for many years without the stupid label.
I hope one day in the future we see through this Injustice and can just answer OPs question about bikes. Until then, I think this is a great and worthwhile discussion.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
OP, if most of your riding is gravel and light trail I'm not sure why you wouldn't go with a more xc oriented bike.

I don't know much about the canyon, but check the max chain ring on both. Many bikes can only fit a 32, and you may find yourself spinning out a lot on non technical trail/road.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
Neither the tallboy or Trance 29er are really XC bikes.
I think what you mean to say is that they are not XC race bikes. An XC bike goes up and down. The Tallboy and Trance 29er are most definitely XC bikes. Makes more sense to reserve the term "XC race" for just that...

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.