Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got into the whole video editing thing and am really enjoying it. i have noticed my videos need a bit more and was wondering what kind of editing programs you guys use? thanks

Nick

·
Still learning
876 Posts
I use Final Cut Pro HD, but that's simply because it's what we use at work. There's also an Express version, and iMovie will handle fcp project files with limited features.

Of course, this all assumes you're a Mac user.
When doing stuff on PC the guys here use Adobe Premiere. I typically use VirtualDub (which is free) when I need to do simple stuff on a PC.

For some limited features we need to use Shake - probably way out of your price range.
Other people I know use the whole Flint/Flame/Spark/Inferno etc set, going well into the millions... but they're professionals.

My advice: Start with iMovie or FCE.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Do a search on Editing Software Reviews

I use Ulead Video Studio 10+. But I noticed you are using Windows 98, you could probably find some older software very cheap on Amazon.

·
Weekend Warrior
138 Posts
If you're only using Windows 98 I assume you've got a slow machine. To really get into editing you need at least a 2.0GHz processor and 1 gig of RAM (minimum) if you want to run a program that opens up some new possibilities for you.
I like Sony Vegas 7, but that's mainly because I have a background in music recording and the interface is similar to Acid.
BTW uncompressed video will consume your hard drive. Of the top of my head, I think each hour takes up around 20 gig. So you'll probably need a new HD as well.

·
Weekend Warrior
138 Posts
OK ,well try Sony Vegas Movie Studio, it's only $89.95
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=977
You can download a trial and see how you like it. It's a really stable program, with a great rendering engine ( when you render in imovie, your text will look a little pixelated) to give smooth results. If you want to do some fancy titles, I like Bluff titler, which is a seperate program.

·
Weekend Warrior
138 Posts
Also, making a great video isn't really about great effects. It's just like cooking, you need good quality ingredients (images and footage). Using light and framing your images/video properly will go a long way, as will a quality camera. Music is something that most people don't use properly. Dynamics(loud and soft) should relate to the movement on the screen, and try to use audible cues or beats in the music to change images/frame shots.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
There's lotsa out in the market... Like Bryant said, Sony Vegas hits the top of the charts. Initially, I've also tried one from Pinnacle... Whatchmacallit? Oo0h, Pinnacle Studio. There's also one from Ulead. MediaStudio Pro 8, I guess... And let's not forget Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 I think most of 'em render in real time...

Go0gle is everyone's bestfriend here... So, what are you waiting for?¿? Go0gle away! :cornut:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like Vegas . . . i edited this ( offroading ) with it. It handles the files without any fuss and is pretty easy to work with.

For absolute basics, windows movie maker is alright for stiching clips together with basic transistions between them. The big let down with Movie Maker is that it doesn't seem to handle sound all that well. For example, if i had an MP3 track to the edit and then cut and plsice that MP3 track, it plays in time in movie maker when you are previewing it, but when you render the file, the music jumps out of sync. Very annoying. :madmax:

·
Registered
171 Posts
The best 'decently priced' editing software IMHO is Avid DV Free - cos it's free :p

It's basically a streamlined version of Avid Xpress, and should of course raise your interest in the latter (f'ing expensive) product. The free version, despite its limitations, is still a cool and mighty editing tool compared to, say the Windows movie maker ;) You get basic keyframing, a title editor, online tutorials, dv capture and scene detection, a couple of real-time effects and of course the nice editing concept of Xpress.

http://www.avid.com/freedv/resources.asp

Personally I use Adobe Premiere, but that's only because it was shipped with my Pinnacle editing solution. I wouldn't buy the software only, cos it's stupid expensive (for basic home use at least)

·
Code Monkey
652 Posts
I use Adobe Premiere

Personally, I love Adobe products. Now that Adobe owns Flash (which is what YouTube is built with), and coupled with Audition, they have the best suite for intermediate level media production. Premier has a lot of the Photoshop effects built into their video functions. The only downside is the price ... $1000++ ... :madman:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.