Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade the fork on my 2004 Kona Kikapu and I have a few in mind. First of all I currently have the factory Marz MZ Coil.
I am looking for a great XC fork as all I ride is mainly cross country in the Southeast. So far I have been looking at the Fox Talus and Vanilla and the Marz Marathon S among others. What are some other good forks for XC riding from these two companies?
My budget is $300 max. If anyone knows where the best deals are I would appreciate it.

Would the $275 Marz Marathon S be an instant improvement over my current MZ? Also, do I want to have Air or Coil? I also assume lockout is a must...

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
You could try ebay...

..I normally don't buy there, but I recently picked up a new '05 Z1FR1 for $525 shipped. Had a buy it now option and I jumped on it. It was $100. less than I could find it at any of the online retailers. You can find good deals there if your patient-just be careful you don't wind up with someones' old junk. You may be able to find some '04 stuff on clearance still. It probably will be fall before the '05 prices start to drop.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
it will be hard to find a fox fork for under $300. sometimes you can find a buy it now on ebay for a 2004 Vanilla R for $299. You can get a 05 Vanilla RLC for about $430 if you look hard enough though...with warranty and all... its hard to get warranties sometimes off ebay purchases... or buying used.

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
Gaffney10 said:
I am looking to upgrade the fork on my 2004 Kona Kikapu and I have a few in mind. First of all I currently have the factory Marz MZ Coil.
I am looking for a great XC fork as all I ride is mainly cross country in the Southeast. So far I have been looking at the Fox Talus and Vanilla and the Marz Marathon S among others. What are some other good forks for XC riding from these two companies?
My budget is $300 max. If anyone knows where the best deals are I would appreciate it.

Would the $275 Marz Marathon S be an instant improvement over my current MZ? Also, do I want to have Air or Coil? I also assume lockout is a must...
Have you looked on the classifieds here on MTBR?

·
Tame the Penguin!
1,082 Posts
Gaffney10 said:

I know your price range is $300 and under, but if you could save a little more money before you buy it would be my opinion that you'd get a much better fork if you could spend $400-$450. here is a great deal on a new '04 Fox Talas RLC that would work well on that Kona:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=87818&query=retrieval

Keep in mind that new '05 Fox Talas RLCs are well over $600 now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a Big difference between the Marz Marathon S and the SL??
Also, how would this compare to a Fox model? The deal on the S is a pretty good deal and I was wondering if I will notice an instant difference.

Also, what do you guys recommend from Fox? As far as Marz is concerned I guess the Marathon S and SL fit into my XC category.....Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Differences between Marathon S & SL

Gaffney10 said:
Is there a Big difference between the Marz Marathon S and the SL??
Also, how would this compare to a Fox model? The deal on the S is a pretty good deal and I was wondering if I will notice an instant difference.

Also, what do you guys recommend from Fox? As far as Marz is concerned I guess the Marathon S and SL fit into my XC category.....Thanks for the help guys!!

The difference between the '04 Marathon S and SL is quite simple. The S uses springs with and air assist preload, whereas the SL is an air shock. As for a Fox recommendation in the under $300 category, you can get an OEM Fox Vanilla from Bobs Bicycles (betterbikes) on ebay for $299.

Will you notice a difference over your current fork if you replace it with one of these? yes, the damping on any of these forks is more desirable than what you are riding, so you will notice a difference in performance.

FWIW, I was in a similar dilemma a few months back and was considering the Marathon S and Vanilla. I stuck with the Marzocchi product and am very satisfied.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mountain High Cyclery

Try Larry at MHC, he had some 2004 Marathon SL 105mm for $310, great fork, got one on my Turner Burner.

·
Upgrade Addict
239 Posts
Another option

esenkay said:
Try Larry at MHC, he had some 2004 Marathon SL 105mm for $310, great fork, got one on my Turner Burner.
I spent under $300 deliverd for a Reba SL 100mm for my Turner Burner. It is under 3.5 lbs and is buttery smooth and no flexing at all. I just got back from Pisgah and rode it HARD for 3 days loving every minute of it. The lockout with floodgate is awesome for long climbs. I have about 200 miles on the fork now and have nothing but good things to say about this fork. It is the dual air one, not the U-turn. 100mm is perfect for my Burner so I don't need the UTurn. Go here: http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FK4873

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Gaffney10 said:
Anybody know of any new, cheap '04/'05 Fox Vanilla Forks??
You can check ebay. There is a guy usually selling 04 Vanilla Rs for $299 and you can also talk to Chad @ Redbarn cycles... he gave me a great price on a 05 Vanilla.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet! I would like to get a 2005 model if I can and I would like to pay $350 or less. Was your deal that good or? Thanks so much!

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Gaffney10 said:
Sweet! I would like to get a 2005 model if I can and I would like to pay $350 or less. Was your deal that good or? Thanks so much!
No my deal was not that good. I'd be suprised if you could find a brand new 2005 for that price. Maybe look for something slightly used off MTBR or ebay. Or go for a 2004 model.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
http://comparisonpricing.com/ Then click on the zoke logo. The website compare betweeen 12-18 fairly cheap online dealers and lets you know who offers the cheapest deal.

You can do the same for Fox, Manitou, RS, and Stratos.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
anyone else know of any deals on the Vanilla Fork? $350 is the best I have found thus far....does Pricepoint have any coupons??

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts