Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Professional Crastinator
6,122 Posts
I never really compared the snow sports to MTBing. The only carryover for me is the quad workout of snowboarding. It does zero for power, but strength and stamina seem to get a boost from long days riding the snow (as little as I go). I fatbike more than I snowboard, but I can feel the strength gains on the climbs.

-F

·
furker
233 Posts
Probably overthinking it. He'll get the most out of whatever he likes the most. At 13 he will probably be inconsiderate and change his mind a dozen times about which he likes more, without ever consulting any of us here at mtbr first. :D

But if you really want to think the f'ing hell out of this thing, I'll kick in my experience. Back in my road racing days, the coaches banned* us from both skiing and snowboarding. And the strength trainers had us on ice skates once a week when there was snow on the roads, because ice skating works a lot of the same major muscle groups as cycling, plus improves core and range of leg motion. Also helps hip range of motion and hamstrings.

*we weren't very good at obeying the bans. I had both a snowboard and skis, and I'd choose which based on snow conditions. Snowboard for powder, skiing when the conditions were icy. I would ski or snowboard all day, and never get anywhere near the workout as the 2 hour skate sessions the strength trainers would throw at us.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,138 Posts
OP, you’re over thinking it. As long as you / he stays active in the off season with any sport that requires balance and coordination, one will be sharp and ready to go on the bike.
I totally agree with this thinking.

·
High Plains Luddite
163 Posts
Skiing is much more efficient "transportation". I'm a lifelong skier who has skied with snowboarders often (including one member of my immediate family) and I'm always, always, ALWAYS waiting for the boarders to catch up. Got to wait for them to strap in after getting off the lift. Got to try to tow them with a ski pole when they get stopped on flat areas and can't move. Got to wait for them as gravity pulls them down some hills that we skiers can go across instead of down. Got to wait for them to sit down and rest because their legs hurt.

Snowboarding just seems to take too long, whereas skiers can often jump off the lift and not stop moving again until they get back down to a lift.

I'm sure snowboarding is fun but it seems like too much work to me.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,138 Posts
Skiing is much more efficient "transportation". I'm a lifelong skier who has skied with snowboarders often (including one member of my immediate family) and I'm always, always, ALWAYS waiting for the boarders to catch up. Got to wait for them to strap in after getting off the lift. Got to try to tow them with a ski pole when they get stopped on flat areas and can't move. Got to wait for them as gravity pulls them down some hills that we skiiers can go across instead of down. Got to wait for them to sit down and rest because their legs hurt.

Snowboarding just seems to take too long, whereas skiers can often jump off the lift and not stop moving again until they get back down to a lift.

Yep, I’m also a lifelong skier, 50 some years worth and have skied with snow boarders many times. Several in my immediate family and everything you describe is spot on with the experiences I’ve had spending the day with them. At least we get to rest while waiting for them. ;)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Skiing is much more efficient "transportation". I'm a lifelong skier who has skied with snowboarders often (including one member of my immediate family) and I'm always, always, ALWAYS waiting for the boarders to catch up. Got to wait for them to strap in after getting off the lift. Got to try to tow them with a ski pole when they get stopped on flat areas and can't move. Got to wait for them as gravity pulls them down some hills that we skiers can go across instead of down. Got to wait for them to sit down and rest because their legs hurt.

I too always waited for snowboarders. But it's not because it's harder or more work. Quite the opposite. I snowboarded and alpine skied concurrently for 8 years (probably around 20 days per year during that time, snowboarding) before I just lost interest in snowboarding. Snowboarding is considerably less work, they just dawdle a lot, and it's extremely easy to learn. By about day 18, you can pretty much ride anywhere on the mountain except in the park. It's particularly funny to hear it compared to surfing, which I found crazy difficult to get good at, and a completely different skill set.

·
High Plains Luddite
163 Posts
DirtJunkie said:
At least we get to rest while waiting for them. ;)
Yup! That's my secret in keeping up with my kids. One skis and one boards. I'm generally in the middle, looking back for the boarder and hoping the skier will stop and wait before the next "which way" decision so we can stay together.

Meanwhile, I'm catching my breath and grabbing a swig of water. :giggle:

Man, I do love skiing though, and if I have to wait for snowboarders, I'm still happier doing that than just about anything else. In fact, I just bought a new set of skis last week. I need to get up there again sooner than later. I've heard some of the ones near us (I'm near Denver) have extended their seasons.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yup! That's my secret in keeping up with my kids. One skis and one boards. I'm generally in the middle, looking back for the boarder and hoping the skier will stop and wait before the next "which way" decision so we can stay together.

Meanwhile, I'm catching my breath and grabbing a swig of water. :giggle:

Man, I do love skiing though, and if I have to wait for snowboarders, I'm still happier doing that than just about anything else. In fact, I just bought a new set of skis last week. I need to get up there again sooner than later. I've heard some of the ones near us (I'm near Denver) have extended their seasons.
My strategy was always to stay 2 sports ahead of my boys. That way, I could kick their butts longer and acquire more gear in the process. That's what drove me to try telemark.
On that note, today was day 82 this season, just got 6" of snow, and NO ONE was around!
Deer Valley today at 9:45

·
Registered
16,011 Posts

Skiing is definitely more versatile since you can traverse, pole, and skate. Experienced snowboarders can usually get into their binding without sitting down to do it, and now with step-in bindings the process is even quicker. Each activity provides a different sensation. I describe snowboarding as more euphoria and skiing as more of an adrenaline rush. If I want to go fast and hit jumps I'd rather have my skis. If there's a big untouched powder bowl though there's nothing like the feeling of those big, sweeping turns on the board. Why choose? Learn both.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
I board with a group of friends I've known for over thirty years. The ones who dont have a surfing background are always waiting for those of us who do. We carve our way down the hill while they fly straight down. At bigger resorts like Mammoth we end up getting separated

·
Registered
991 Posts
I myself dont surf, good riding buddies used to. Snowboarding is pretty different. You turn with the front edge lot more. It gets a little more surflike when you get into powder. More fluid, lean back and steer witg the rear. I love powder, but dont get it often.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
I myself dont surf, good riding buddies used to. Snowboarding is pretty different. You turn with the front edge lot more. It gets a little more surflike when you get into powder. More fluid, lean back and steer witg the rear. I love powder, but dont get it often.
With a fish board with a narrow rear you turn off the tail. The binding mountings are set to the rear also. I once bought an Arbor board and returned it since everything was way too far forward.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
I probably framed the question poorly. It’s not about cross training, as he will probably ride a max of 10 days a year, if that, until he moves to mountains later in life. It’s more about choosing the one that plays into his existing skills best.

In al honesty, I would probably rather him do the one he’s less comfortable with to avoid injury from overconfidence and a false sense of confidence. He’s really skilled on the bike, so I don’t want him to think he’s similarly skilled in a sport he’s a novice at. I could totally see him on skis just turning them downhill and sending it off a jump then plowing to slow down after. The board (the day he did it over spring break) seemed to keep him humble and entertained, so I’m probably going to encourage him to stick with that.
Seems like a ski bike would translate to MTB skills the closest. Haven’t tried one, but they look like a riot.

Or for an even easier transition, the Sno-Go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 56 of 56 Posts