Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get new cranks and am looking for some opinions.
I would like the WI or Pauls, but I need something that I can put a BashGuard on.

I was checking out the Raceface evolve SS, but dont know much about how these hold up.
What about the LX-580's ?

I am 225 and ride hilly, wet, snowy east coast ST.

Which cranks should I check out??

Thanks
Jim

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
burtondogs said:
I need to get new cranks and am looking for some opinions.
I would like the WI or Pauls, but I need something that I can put a BashGuard on.

I was checking out the Raceface evolve SS, but dont know much about how these hold up.
What about the LX-580's ?

I am 225 and ride hilly, wet, snowy east coast ST.

Which cranks should I check out??

Thanks
Jim
Drevil has a good suggestion, I'd also look at scoring some older Shimano XTR 950-952's off eBay and outfitting with a 5 arm spider and then you can do what you want with the bashguard

·
donkey
263 Posts
I'm an east-coaster too. I really like my evolve-xc single speed cranks. I'm happy with the bb cup life, and they are very stiff (out-board bearing :thumbsup:) and easy to work with (no more crank puller!) They can be run as a standard mtb triple, so the resale value stays high and they are pretty modular. I bought mine set up as a ss cranks. The 34t ss ring that came with the crank is perfectly round and is wearing very slowly. The only downside i can think of is the fact that they are only available in 175mm and black. Oh, and they come with a bash gaurd.

·
IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
242 Posts
$110 for the Boone Ring and $30 for the XTR 952 cranks/bb = $10 to spare...

BShow said:
Do you know where I can find some more info about doing this?
I'll post some pics in a bit. Pictures are on the other computer. Just removed the paint from the gray crank arms. Then I sanded them with 140grit sandpaper. Then with 2000 grit. Then polished them off with rubbing compound. Beautiful results!!! :thumbsup:

·
242 Posts
XTR 952 polished cranks/bb and Boone rings - pics as promised

Spidey-Lag said:
I'll post some pics in a bit. Pictures are on the other computer. Just removed the paint from the gray crank arms. Then I sanded them with 140grit sandpaper. Then with 2000 grit. Then polished them off with rubbing compound. Beautiful results!!! :thumbsup:
The Boone titanium chainring replaces the entire spider from the old 952 crank set. This new crank/chainring/bb setup weights somewhere in 600 gram territory. :eek:

Attachments

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
The Race Face Cranks have worked great for me so far and they are at your price point. They are very easy to install/ set up.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I got a deal on RF Deus and my only complain is the BB life, don't know why but those external bb's don't last.

My former set was a Deore crankset with ES71 bb, the bb lasted for over a year, the new RF bb on the mtb and the FSA on the roadie only last months.

The deal that Drevil mentions seems to be the best out there.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
"Standard" or compact? Take your pick. Below are some perfectly fine cranks, and only marginally heavier than the boutique $200+ cranks everyone else is buying. Don't get scared away by the Sugino's weight by the way: that includes 3 steel rings which you'll be recycling and replacing with an SS ring anyway (for comparison, the nearly identical XD600 weighs 170g less with 3 aluminum rings).

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPCRNKMTNSETSG/CR1032
http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPCRNKMTNSETSHIMSQR/CR8129

So here's the breakdown for a complete system including BB and bashring for right about $150:
Sugino XD300 (standard) or Shimano M460 (compact) crankset: $55.
Surly stainless ring: $35.
Short chainring bolts: $5.
UN-73 BB: $20.
Bashring: $35.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
l84biking said:
Spidey-Lag, what did you use to strip the XTR cranks? I'm looking at getting a set anodized but need to get the finish removed.

Thanks!
Do a search, OneStrongOne and I have both given how to's on this

·
242 Posts
Couple of ways to strip the paint off the 952's

l84biking said:
Spidey-Lag, what did you use to strip the XTR cranks? I'm looking at getting a set anodized but need to get the finish removed.

Thanks!
The long and tedious way to do it would be to sand off the paint using 140grit sandpaper 'til all the paint comes off and you're left with a nice "brushed stainless steel finish.

The quicker less tedious way to do it is to use automotive grade paint remover and brush it onto the crank arms. Leave the coating on for about 15 to 20 minutes and wipe it off with a damp cloth. Then take the 140 grit sandpaper and sand off what's left on the arms until you're left with the "brushed" finish.

You can then take 200 grit sandpaper and shine it up. Use water with the 2000 grit. To finish off the cranks with a nice polish, you use rubbing compound. Apply it like you would apply car wax on a car. Then buff it off and you'll have crank arms as shiny as Mr Clean's bald head.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Pricepoint had the Truvativ SS cranks for $109 and I bought a set. That includes the bottom bracket, a 32 tooth ring, and the CNC bash ring. 848gr for the set. The things work great, look hot, and you can choose between 175mm or 180mm crank arms. the chainline is 49mm, but you can run both spacers on the non-drive side to get a 46.5mm cl which works great on my Monocog. It seesm like the deal has since ended, but the price now is still $149 which meets your price parameter.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later