Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time deciding on a crank set for my Pugs. Right now I have a Hussefelt on it now but would like to get away from the proprietary BB. I can get a Mr. Whirly and E*13 for about $260 but I believe the E*13 uses their own bearings as well (I think). Also the Race Face Atlas FR has crossed my mind but the price is higher. A lot of people talk about the Phil Wood BB but that whole system confuses me a bit and still uses proprietary bearings as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks......Bob

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'd say go with Phil Wood and Middleburn cranks. I don't think the bearings are proprietary, I could certainly be wrong though. My old Kleins use standard Phil spindles in the press in bottom brackets and they use a standard cartridge bearing available at any bearing store. Even though square taper bb's are old technology they work at least as well as the first generation of replacements and there are all sorts of crank choices still available on E Bay.

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
sryanak said:
I'd say go with Phil Wood and Middleburn cranks. I don't think the bearings are proprietary, I could certainly be wrong though. My old Kleins use standard Phil spindles in the press in bottom brackets and they use a standard cartridge bearing available at any bearing store. Even though square taper bb's are old technology they work at least as well as the first generation of replacements and there are all sorts of crank choices still available on E Bay.
I went the phil's route. I lov the BB, and that company is awesome. However, i hate the lack of selection for cranks. Middleburn cranks seem to always be out of stock looks to be the way to go. Weight is very nice, and bearings shouldnt be that hard to service or replace.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Can the Mr Whirly cranks be removed without special tools?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
racerxti said:
I went the phil's route. I lov the BB, and that company is awesome. However, i hate the lack of selection for cranks. Middleburn cranks seem to always be out of stock looks to be the way to go. Weight is very nice, and bearings shouldnt be that hard to service or replace.
On E Bay you can get cranks by Race Face, Cook Bros., Kooka, Middleburn, Shimano, FSA, Ritchey, etc.........With even a moderate amount of searching you should be able to come up with something in just about any price/weight range. Just type in square taper crank, or square taper and see what comes up.

·
bicycle dreamer
133 Posts
I picked up e.13 Hive crankset ... it's absolutely amazing. Big fan.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Atlas or Whirly with Chris King BB is the only way IMHO. The CK bb is like spinning on butter and you can repack with light weight grease whenever you feel the need.
I don't like cheap bearings in my bb. I feel the bb is one of the most important moving points on the bike. Cheap bearings may spin nice enough in the stand, but get them under load and they do rob power. I can't say enough about CK's or Phil's outboard bearings.

E13's bearings are the same as BB30, but in a removable cup set...I believe. I think you can get Phil bearings for them if needed.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sevenpedaler said:
Atlas or Whirly with Chris King BB is the only way IMHO. The CK bb is like spinning on butter and you can repack with light weight grease whenever you feel the need.
I don't like cheap bearings in my bb. I feel the bb is one of the most important moving points on the bike. Cheap bearings may spin nice enough in the stand, but get them under load and they do rob power. I can't say enough about CK's or Phil's outboard bearings.

E13's bearings are the same as BB30, but in a removable cup set...I believe. I think you can get Phil bearings for them if needed.
That might be the way I would go (e*13) if I knew for sure replacement bearings would always be available. The set would cost me about $60 more the the Phil BB alone.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Surly

bdundee said:
That might be the way I would go (e*13) if I knew for sure replacement bearings would always be available. The set would cost me about $60 more the the Phil BB alone.
The surly is great for several of reasons. 1) you can get any size and combination of 5 arm chain-rings you desire... the e13... not. 2) BB bearings are standard issue and are easily up-gradeable with Enduro ceramics or hybrid ceramics... which are on par if not better than those found in a CK BB. 3) No proprietary tools necessary / simple pinch bolt design. I have a friend who's having a struggle with is e13 having the non-driveside crank arm coming loose. I've never have this problem with the surly crank.

Regards,

EndUser

·
Registered
846 Posts
racerxti said:
For getting Middleburn's in the US I've had really good luck with MTB Tandems getting replacement parts for mine. I seriously damaged the rings earlier this year, but the cranks held up fine. I also use the Phil Wood BB.

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Another vote for Hive stuff. I bought the Fatback version of Hive/FifteenG's triple crankset for my Pugsley and love it. Sold the Pugs and kept the crankset for the upcoming Fatback frame.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,395 Posts
Running a Mr. Whirly on my Big Dummy, works great. Yes to all that has been said, chainring spider options is the coolest one though.

Running a Race Face on my Pug, just what you'd expect, big beefy, solid, good looks, and modern.

Planning on running a Phil/RF Turbine LP 110/74 on my Form Fatty when it shows. What others have said on this is true too. The Phil will be a long lasting player. It will likely outlast crank sets. The bearings are commonly available as far as size goes, but getting the Phil ones will offer longer life it seems.

You can run any square taper crank you like, so while you may spend for the BB, you have just about infinite options for cranks, just hit eBay. XT, XTR, Race Face, Sugino (they still make one to this day in 110/74 FYI) Kooka, whatever. I just got to the EZ Off oven cleaner party (a bit late.....), but any set of beat up, ano'ed cranks can be freshened up to bright silver with a bit of elbow grease and a can of that stuff....:thumbsup:

Lot's of options, all good, express yourself!

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Surly's are super nice. Stiff. Versatile. You can move them from bike to bike, with a simple spindle change. Problem with them? they're heavy. Granted, the Pugs isn't exactly light, but still. I've also had problems with bending and twisting the spider/rings I ran.

The standard Phil/square taper set up is as bomb proof and simple as they come. As many here know, it ain't cheap though.

Race Face is always good. No problems there.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the e13's. They're light, stiff, and reasonably priced. while the whole chainring issue USED to be an issue when the 104 pattern was release, there are plenty of options out there now. Unless you want freaky gearing that is. But there are guys out there that make nice custom stuff. I've had the e13's for a bit over a year now with no issues. Bearings are just fine, and like has been said, if you want to replace them with something higher quality, that's easy.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I destroyed 2 Phils on my Rando / Long distance road bike. Mud, rain, dirt roads, etc. I know they are 'bomb proof' - I guess I'm just more than a bomb.

I'm got the Whirly on my SS. Will move it to my Pugs when time comes to let the stock crank go... and I feel like buying a spindle.

I like the 94 bcd, matches another bike - so I can use various ring combos throughout...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Okay, Pugs has 100mm BB. E*13 cranks don't work with the BB width. The cranks look beautiful, but won't work on a Pugs. I have Truvativ Holzfeller cranks with the Howitzer BB on mine and I love them!

·
bicycle dreamer
133 Posts
davesauvageau said:
Okay, Pugs has 100mm BB. E*13 cranks don't work with the BB width. The cranks look beautiful, but won't work on a Pugs. I have Truvativ Holzfeller cranks with the Howitzer BB on mine and I love them!
e.13 makes a 100mm wide snowbike crank. Do some searching - it's beautiful!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
davesauvageau said:
Dave, You need to look closer at the E 13 website. They talk about a 145 mm spindle for Snowbikes. Unless that is something they have discontinued while leaving it on the website it should work on a Pugs or any other bike with a 100mm bottom bracket.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts