Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can let you know next week about the Extralite. I have a set shipping right now.
I think Middleburn is the most versatile, because you can swap axles and spiders. But have had a lot of problem with creaking spider/crank assembly... Also a normal axle isn't the stiffest also.
FRM is good, and light, Also their rings are great, but they use a rather soft alloy... not really durable I guess, and I don't know if it's possible to adjust the bearings...
Extralite Is the lightest of them all, at 500 gram for a crankset including axle and bearings, without rings. Big axle, Big bearings, I think the best combination of all above...

·
Banned
5,764 Posts
Ninko said:
Extralite Is the lightest of them all, at 500 gram for a crankset including axle and bearings, without rings. Big axle, Big bearings, I think the best combination of all above...
I think the most versatile and also lighter might be the Lightning carbones which i miss in the list above. With Extralite you get either 68 or 73mm width and just one spider option. No double !

·
Registered
410 Posts
nino said:
I think the most versatile and also lighter might be the Lightning carbones which i miss in the list above. With Extralite you get either 68 or 73mm width and just one spider option. No double !
I know you like the Lightnings! But they don't have much more than Extralite... I was doubting between those 2 but the Extralite looked better for me. 1. it's just alloy instead of fancy carbon, nothing wrong with that, but I trust alloy more for a crankset.
Second, 64/104 is just a good spider size, every possible ring is there in that size, so why should I want something different? Extralite makes super light double chainrings also.
And you don't only get 68 or 73 BSA... you also get E-type, BB30 68 and 73, Specialized OSBB, BB91...They also have a lot more parts for adjusting bearings, and special adapters to gain the right bottom bracket width... I don't like that, those are only chances they go creaking. So tell me again, why should I buy Lighthing? The only thing I can imagine is to lose another 40 grams... Just for the cost of over €300....

·
I'm gonna have to kill ya
321 Posts
Can't comment on the ones you mentioned but I have had good luck with KCNC even on a SS bike

I am running the chainset with the BB not the ISIS one, the new 2009 one has 1.5" big diameter bolts that strengthen the scandium BB axle up so no issues with snapped BB like the old versions.

Lightweight, relatively cheap, stiff (to me anyway) and lovely cnc work

Attachments

·
Banned
5,764 Posts
Ninko said:
I know you like the Lightnings! But they don't have much more than Extralite... I was doubting between those 2 but the Extralite looked better for me. 1. it's just alloy instead of fancy carbon, nothing wrong with that, but I trust alloy more for a crankset.
Second, 64/104 is just a good spider size, every possible ring is there in that size, so why should I want something different? Extralite makes super light double chainrings also.
And you don't only get 68 or 73 BSA... you also get E-type, BB30 68 and 73, Specialized OSBB, BB91...They also have a lot more parts for adjusting bearings, and special adapters to gain the right bottom bracket width... I don't like that, those are only chances they go creaking. So tell me again, why should I buy Lighthing? The only thing I can imagine is to lose another 40 grams... Just for the cost of over €300....
Sorry for the offtopic but i have to get a few things straight:

-Lightnings are lighter,one crank fits all bikes and allows all chainrings , double or triple....that's a lot more i'd say.
-With Extralite you have to buy the exact cranks for your bike.There's 5 different versions to fit all those various BB standards (it does NOT fit 73 + E-Type as well!)....Lightning does that all with just ONE crank.That's why i say it is more versatile
-Extralite comes with just one spider (64/104 Triple). No way to run double other than putting their "Gara" rings which again are just 28/42 size...Lightning offers various , interchangeable spiders so you are free to run whatever chainring combo you would like (double or triple)...more versatile again
-Extralites are 60g heavier than my Lightnings
-Extralites are just over 100 Euro cheaper, not 300.

If i had to choose between the initially mentioned cranks i'd probably go with the Middleburns. I see they still have ISIS or square BB which tells me they are one of the most versatile and easily longest lasting cranks out there (using square BB only!).Square BBs come in various sizes and all sorts of qualities/weights.You are free to choose your desired lenght and still have the option to play around with the chainline once installed in the frame. I don't like their weird 3-bolt double spider as this again limits chainring sizes and options.But i see it comes with a 64/104 triple spider as well so it can be made to run double with the correct BB size. Square BBs are definitely less stiff than all those integrated ones so if stiffness is really that important the Middleburns are out. ISIS is definitely siffer but we all know ISIS has durability issues. I am pretty lucky with my own ISIS crankset but you have to live with the fact that the bearings might die sooner than others. On the other hand square BBs definitely last longer than the integrated bearings of those italian cranks which both have a pretty bad reputation regarding their bearings. The FRM is also just a little too heavy for my likings.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The middleburn is by far the most versatile of the cranks mentioned in this thread. It offers 7(8 if you count the uno ring) different spiders even though only 3 of them would be useful for what you're trying to do. I personally have the RS-8 duo and think it's about perfect for most anything someone is going to be doing on a cross country bike and the weight is pretty good. Cost against performance it's easily your best option.

That being said, I have to agree with Nino that the Lightning is better than all of the options. The price isn't bad for what you get, it's more versatile than the other options(besides middleburn) and according to the tests it's a lot stiffer as well. My personal opinion is that it's the best crank out right now. It doesn't seem to have any downside besides being a little pricey and a stupid logo(which you can get it without). So it seems to me it's just a cost issue, if you can afford it, get the lightning, if not get the middleburn, or buy my middleburn so I can get a lightning :) j/k

Also keep in mind that you can theoretically get the specialized spider and run the XX rings if that interests you. That is something none of the others can say. Though I don't know why you would buy such a light crank and then slap heavy rings like that on it.

And to address the worry about using carbon on a crank, if you look at the failures the carbon cranks have had most of the ones I have seen have the failure in the spider area (Storcks, Clavicula's,etc). The lightnings don't have this issue, so if the carbon fails it has to be just in the arms themselves, which I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it

·
Banned
5,764 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
This season I've run Rotor Q-rings double 33/44 on my Extralite crank. Next season I may be switching to some Specialites TA 28/40 in the technical courses for better gearing options. The only real advantage the lightning has over the Extralite is the option of using Rotor 27/40! If it hasn't been so damn expencive I'd got one of those too..

Nino, do you use a e-type fd? Someone who is wondering about getting a extralite or ligning, do you think he/she cares about e-type?! :)

·
Banned
5,764 Posts
Buoyen said:
The only real advantage the lightning has over the Extralite is the option of using Rotor 27/40...

Nino, do you use a e-type fd? Someone who is wondering about getting a extralite or ligning, do you think he/she cares about e-type?! :)
yes - my Scott Scale usually has E-Type but i use different derailleurs anyway.

See all the advantages the Lighting has over the Extralites above...there's not much left other than the lower price tag of the Extralites.In all the other aspects the Lightning is superior.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's my point. 'We' use different fd anyway.

And I agree with you that the specs on the lightning are very good. And like I said, if it would have been a little cheaper I'd have got one allready. But can I ask you one thing. Have you tried crashing with your lightning? You haven't smashed any crankarms yet?

·
Registered
194 Posts
roybatty666

Those KCNC cranks are BEAUTIFUL! Best crank-arm design I've seen yet.

This is the first time I've heard of that company. They make some other really nice stuff too.

1) I'm curious how the double or triple would shift using Shimano stuff- cassette, chain etc.?
2) Could I retrofit Shimano rings on there if I wanted, just so I could use those cranks?

I personally don't think carbon cranks are a good idea. I like light stuff too, but I feel durability is far more important...more important than saving some 100-200 gms.

roybatty please give any feedback on those cranks as time goes on.

I don't feel like waiting til (late) 2010 for the new XTR crankset (10 spd? -YUK! NO THANKS).

·
Registered
105 Posts
nino said:
ouh-where is the advantage?

heavier,expensive,less versatile and still not available as well.
I don't say it has any advantages above other cranks, 500 euro including rings/weight around 650 gram including rings/ compatibel with a lot off brackets.

So I just say it sounds like a good crank, not beeing better then.

For me I can get it a lot cheaper from my sponser then the Lightning crankset.

·
I'm gonna have to kill ya
321 Posts
Shredr said:
Those KCNC cranks are BEAUTIFUL! Best crank-arm design I've seen yet.

This is the first time I've heard of that company. They make some other really nice stuff too.

1) I'm curious how the double or triple would shift using Shimano stuff- cassette, chain etc.?
2) Could I retrofit Shimano rings on there if I wanted, just so I could use those cranks?

I personally don't think carbon cranks are a good idea. I like light stuff too, but I feel durability is far more important...more important than saving some 100-200 gms.

roybatty please give any feedback on those cranks as time goes on.

I don't feel like waiting til (late) 2010 for the new XTR crankset (10 spd? -YUK! NO THANKS).
My chum has a double chainset on his scott spark running XTR groupset with a Durace 12-27 cassette and it is shifts perfectly

We both also run KCNC stems (84g) and seat posts (135g) ( he also has the straight bars and bar ends), quality of all these parts seem top draw, they are all up their with lightest in their respective class but far from the most expensive.

I have put maybe 240 miles on my bike so far and all has been well and with no noticeable flex in the cranks even mashing on them being a SS.

I did have one moment when the non-driveside came undone, but that was from a torquing issue, correctly tightened with some threadlock and they have been flawless ever since.

The 2009 onwards model is the ones to go for, slightly lighter than the the earlier ones, better adjustable
on the BB lateral play and longer bolts

They use standard ring sized so you can use whatever you fancy, the rings are pretty light but you can save a small bit using Extralight rings

weights
345g Cranks
203g Bottom Bracket
27g crank bolts
40g 32t middle ring

114g inner and outer ring and inner bolts (not sure of what the breakdown is)
6g Chairing bolts

·
Registered
410 Posts
So received the crankset... Really impressive weight. I think the price is very reasonable considering the weight! Quality looks good, have to look how it will hold up during the season! Oh, and it fits the S-works BB without any trouble, plug and play! 160mm Q-factor and very small chainline! Really great

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.