Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a new cycle computer preferably wireless but my LBS says the distance is too great from handlebars to bottom of Lefty, is this true ? I wouldn't want something that isn't accurate, is it best to go with a wire ?

What you guys using, my fork is a Lefty Max TPC (140).

Cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Garmin Edge

This is a rather expensive solution, but I use a Garmin Edge GPS on my bike. This gives you all the benefits of a bike computer plus when you get back you can hook it up to your computer and download all the data.

If you buy some mapping software, you can even see your route overlaid on to an ordinance survey map, although the software provided shows you a very basic map.

It comes with two brackets, so you can use it on two bikes.

Having said that, the Garmin Gecko is cheaper and can be mounted on your handlebars, it just isn't so bike specific, but that might be a good thing if you want to use it for walking etc.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cannondale makes a mounting bracket for the magnetic pickup switch. They are presently out of stock but are expecting a resupply at the end of Feburary. Ask your Cannondale dealer to order it. I spoke to Trvis at Providence cycles about them yesterday and this was the reply he got from the Cannondale rep.

·
bicycleonthebrain
211 Posts
i use a cateye wirelwss.it fits perfectly right at the bottom of the boot above the disk brake mount.i never heard of the distance being to far away.thats new to me.there is an old thread about this same question with lots of pictures of wireless computer mounts you just have to search back abit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A Cateye Micro wireless will work on a lefty as well as most others. The distance between sensor and computer isn't a problem neither is the angle. I really don't like the additional bracket solution. Here are some links to these brackets.

http://www.maliceonline.com/components.asp

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1233

Cannondales
http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC115842

Instead of using an additional bracket to make the sensor fit on the lefty you can just spend about 10 minutes and tool the stock bracket/sensor to make it fit on the lefty without need of an additional bracket. Really easy, less weight and much cleaner looking. So instead of sensor -> stock bracket -> additional bracket -> fork you'll have sensor -> stock bracket -> fork.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=259584

I use custom magnet's which are available on the internet. If interested I'll find the link. Using two magnets works better than one. If you are going 15 MPH and then slow down to 10 MPH it will take one wheel revolution to update the computer display. Using two magnets allows for an update to the computer every half revolution.

So one magnet you'll see 15 MPH then 10 MPH.
Using two magnets the display will show 15 MPH, 12.5 MPH, 10 MPH. Much smoother readouts.

Two magnets would be even better on a 29er where the sensor update takes even more distance for updates due to the larger wheel size.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have the Cateye Micro Wireless on my Rush with the Lefty Speed and it works beautifully, although I agree that the bracket does look pretty hokey. I don't think the extra inch of the Lefty Max will make a difference.

jimbo: I like your two magnet idea, and I'm going to try it out on my Rush once I can get another magnet from my LBS.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use a regular Cateye. I mounted the sensor on the bottom of the Lefty and glued a fat magnet behind the rotor. Works great and looks pretty clean.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I looked at your link and it is a clever way to mount the magnet on the rotor. I'm guessing it is a Neodymium magnet, I was thinking of doing the same thing but was concerned about the heat from the rotor screwing up the magnet as the Neo magnets lose about all there strength above 80 degrees centigrade. I made the mistake of accidently touching the rotor on my bike after going downhill, the sound like a steak hitting a hot grill told me it was at least that hot. I take it you have had no problems.
Anybody looking for a Neodymium magnet can get them from K&J mahnetics. They also have a regular spoke mount with a Neo magnet.
I got a bit of a kick out of your two magnet suggest. I did that many years ago on my road bike simply because I had 2 magnets and wanted to see if it would improve accuracy over the total distance and average speed, no real difference. I could never really tell that it made any difference while changing speeds but to tell the truth I never paid much attention to it. On my mountain bike I don't pay much attention to the instant speed much just the distance and average speed at the end of the ride. I'm too busy looking a the trail to worry about the change in speed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hugh - You got to be an engineer :thumbsup:. I am a technician. You are correct I am using a neodymium magnet. Did not know that they lose their magnet properties at 80 C. Might be back to the drawing board. I have some ideas to overcome the temp. What type of magnet do you suggest?

The two magnet idea is for just the reason you stated. When I get a chance to look down I want to see more of a real time speed. I like instruments to provide as accurate data as I can get them to. The readout is damped quite a bit of course to show a readout between pulses.

magnet link
http://www.amazingmagnets.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25595

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey sheppard. How or where did you fix the polar magnet and what about the sensor? Can you possibly post a picture? I have a Polar 720 and am a bit confused about how to mount it.
Thanx

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am having the same problem on my Prophet with a cateye micro wireless. It only picks up about half the time and I have changed both the sensor and the receiver batteries, and I even have the receiver mounted on the top tube to get it closer to the transmitter. Anybody have ideas on one with longer range?

·
Registered
391 Posts
yes

JimThomas said:
Hey Jimbo and Hugh,

In order to use two magnets, I assume you had to jack with the settings on the computer to compensate? 1/2 the wheel diameter setting?
Yes, you do. I did it once awhile ago, I would be hard pressed to say it was worth it. It works but you have to stare at the computer while you ride to see any difference. It's there but that's not how I or most people ride.

·
Registered
171 Posts
hugh088 said:
Yes, you do. I did it once awhile ago, I would be hard pressed to say it was worth it. It works but you have to stare at the computer while you ride to see any difference. It's there but that's not how I or most people ride.
Well I guess I ride ride different than everyone else :thumbsup: Are two magnets going to make a big difference? It is what it is - just more accurate of a readout because of twice the screen updates for the cost of the second magnet. Don't stare at the computer just know when you do look the indication will be a better indication of your speed.

Cut the length you enter in the CatEye or other cyclocomputer in half. So 26 x 2.10 tires would be 2068/2 magnets = 1034

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.