1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking for ideas about the best SS complete bikes
on the market right now. I think I am between a Gary Fisher Rig
and the Specialized SS build. I get a pretty good deal on th Specialized but it is still a lot more than the Rig. Any other bikes I am overlooking? I would love a Niner but I think it is too expensive and I'm not sure how much I will love SS, so I don't want to go super high end.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
914 Posts
azmtb31 said:
I would like to spend no more than 1500. Any ideas? Oh and a cool paint job...must be 29r
What are your requirements? Suspension fork/rigid, v-brakes/disc brakes, frame material. Does it have to be a single speed only frame or do you want something that can be converted to gears later on if you don't like it? Does it have to be a complete bike or would you go for a frame and build kit? Answering these quetions will narrow down the bike list in the $1500 range. And I am assuming you mean hard tail for that price.

·
3,707 Posts
I'm assuming from the two he listed (Rig and Specialized), that he's looking for a hardtail, disc brakes, and aluminum. Specialized does not offer a SS in your price range. The Stumpjumper SS is at $2,700. Rockhopper only has a frame set. Rig is a good choice with good components. Whether you like the G2 geo, that's up to you to decide.

If you don't care about the frame material, the Redline Monocog Flight is a good choice. Right under $1,000, then you can get a new fork of your chioce with the rest of the cash. Surly Karate Monkey's also sell right at $1,000 (rigid fork). I nixxed Raleigh XXIX, because I'm not fond of belt drives.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For what it's worth, I converted an old FS rig into a SS to test the waters, probably dropped $100 on the conversion. I was hooked so I bought a Niner One 9 and haven't ridden any of my other bikes with any regularity since. FYI I dropped about $1,500 on the One 9, not the best components but it is a great bike and I just figured I could update the components as they break.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Foote30 said:
For what it's worth, I converted an old FS rig into a SS to test the waters, probably dropped $100 on the conversion. I was hooked so I bought a Niner One 9 and haven't ridden any of my other bikes with any regularity since. FYI I dropped about $1,500 on the One 9, not the best components but it is a great bike and I just figured I could update the components as they break.
I am building a one 9 at the moment and just passed the $3000 mark with 95% of the parts ordered. I am guessing you went with a rigid front fork if you are at $1500 for a one 9. I spend $700 on the frame alone.

But I did the same thing, converted my current bike to SS to try it out. That was 5 years ago and now building the one 9 to replace it. It cost me less than $100 to convert the first bike and $30 to convert my second bike.

This is the setup I used on one of my bikes to try it out.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031512_-1___
Alot cheaper than buying a full on SS bike if you don't know if you will like the single speed. That is assuming you have a current bike you can try it out on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Correction, I just went back and looked at my credit card statement from last year and I actually paid $2,000 for my One 9, wow long term memory not so good. I could probably dig up a parts list but as far as the fork I have a lower end Reba. I am not a wealth of knowledge on bike parts but I have BB7 mech discs, the reba fork and a low end wheel set, maybe mavic 917 rims??

hope this helps!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wish more companies were offering completes. I snagged 2 Trek SS 69ers in '08/'09 because they were a great value for a complete SS. I paid $1600 and they came stock with Maverick forks, Bontrager Race X Lite wheels, and Juicy 7s. They are a unique bike for sure, love 'em or hate 'em (love mine and even though they're semi-retired, I'll be hanging on to them). But no question they were a great value for a complete SS.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Genshammer said:
Ibis Tranny with the Onceler build. Best bike you will ever own in your life. Period. 29ers included. Just ride one before you buy anything. You'll be glad you did.
the Ibis Tranny might be a nice bike but its not a 29er and its $4000. OP wanted a 29er under $1500.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a one nine with the niner carbon rigid fork and love it.I dont ride my other bikes very much,A niner air nine geared,cannondale scalpel,Orbea scape 26 inch ss.Mine is 17lbs with no pedals and is lots of fun.The orbea was converted to ss for a trial run and the niner ss was best decesion for me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have the 2011 Spec SS complete and it's a very good bike, but if I were to do it again, I would start with frame and build it up, that way you get what you want.
I've changed bars, grips, seat post, tires, rear break rotor and would consider changing seat, and wheels in the future.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Genshammer said:
Oops. Guess I shoulda read the qualifying info!
no problem, he actually said it later in the thread. But I looked at that bike and thought there is no way you can get that for $1500, haha. I think if you clicked on the sram xx build it was close to $6k. Definitely a nice bike, just not in the $1500 range.

·
Registered
976 Posts
p nut said:
I'm assuming from the two he listed (Rig and Specialized), that he's looking for a hardtail, disc brakes, and aluminum. Specialized does not offer a SS in your price range. The Stumpjumper SS is at $2,700. Rockhopper only has a frame set. Rig is a good choice with good components. Whether you like the G2 geo, that's up to you to decide.

If you don't care about the frame material, the Redline Monocog Flight is a good choice. Right under $1,000, then you can get a new fork of your chioce with the rest of the cash. Surly Karate Monkey's also sell right at $1,000 (rigid fork). I nixxed Raleigh XXIX, because I'm not fond of belt drives.
Pnut.....I see it all the time, the reference to G2 geo being different from other brands, but I am not familiar....can you tell me how the G2 is unique ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
brent878 said:
I am building a one 9 at the moment and just passed the $3000 mark with 95% of the parts ordered. I am guessing you went with a rigid front fork if you are at $1500 for a one 9. I spend $700 on the frame alone.

But I did the same thing, converted my current bike to SS to try it out. That was 5 years ago and now building the one 9 to replace it. It cost me less than $100 to convert the first bike and $30 to convert my second bike.

This is the setup I used on one of my bikes to try it out.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031512_-1___
Alot cheaper than buying a full on SS bike if you don't know if you will like the single speed. That is assuming you have a current bike you can try it out on.
Same here....One9 rigid and about 3K in parts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the comments. I am also looking for preferably hydraulic disk brakes, and a solid suspension fork. yes hard tail all the way.

I run a geared superfly for XC racing and I need to keep it that way. I would love a niner but i think by the time it is said and done it will be way over 1500 with the fork, brakes, wheelset etc..and i'm not ready to drop that much yet. So i don't know...any other companies out there with light complete bikes?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.