Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i'll be applying to college in the next couple of months, i was wondering if anyone knew of any colleges that had a killer mtb community and/or sweet trails nearby. i dont really care where in the US it is either. after all, i need an excuse to skip class once in awhile...:D

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Priorities?

HotBlack said:
Fort Lewis.
I know a lot of people that went to Fort Lewis and vanished into a black hole of hanging out, trails, easy classes, and drugs, never to be heard from again.

I don't doubt the riding is great, but the school is not equal to its surroundings.

By contrast, you could go to C.S.U., which has lots of close trails and is a far better school. (I can't believe I'm saying this as a CU alum.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone know how far away are the trails from umass amherst? i was considering looking into a college in the co/wy/mt area since i have a lot of family out there (im on the east coast). im guessing pretty much any school has trails around it out there right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check out SE Pennsylvania. I go to Drexel in Philly, and there are several great places to ride within 2 hours any direction. Great trails are within 10 minutes of the city as well. Here are some great schools that are around Philly.

U of Penn
Drexel
Temple
La Salle
Villanova
St Joe's
U of Delaware
Philadlephia University
Thomas Jefferson University
Pierce College
Chestnut Hill College
University of the Arts

Or, if you want a good education, good party scene, and great trails, go to Penn State in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
depends what you want to be when you grow up

Pabs said:
I know a lot of people that went to Fort Lewis and vanished into a black hole of hanging out, trails, easy classes, and drugs, never to be heard from again.

I don't doubt the riding is great, but the school is not equal to its surroundings.

By contrast, you could go to C.S.U., which has lots of close trails and is a far better school. (I can't believe I'm saying this as a CU alum.)
With apologies in advance for slightly off-topic unsolicited advice, perhaps the question you should be asking is:

"what good (insert your favorite major here) colleges have decent mountain biking nearby"

I think you would be happy in the front range of Colorado (Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins/Colorado Springs). Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Black Hills State University! Nestled in Spearfish, SD in the northern black hills. Minutes away from the trails in the summer. There is seriously unlimited riding here. For the winter im about about twenty minutes away from Terry Peak and Deer Mountain Ski resorts!

·
since 4/10/2009
35,256 Posts
Any number of schools in the Pittsburgh area offer great biking and a good education.

University of Pittsburgh
Duquesne University
Carnegie Mellon University

are all right in the city with just about everything you need (even trails) a short bike ride away.

There are TONS of smaller schools in the surrounding areas. I once counted about 2 dozen colleges in the general region. Can't begin to remember all of them, though.

If you're into racing, Ohio University in Athens, OH has a good program with trails nearby.

Southern Utah is another choice in Cedar City, UT. Close to Brian Head & Red Canyon, not too far from Hurricane/St. George. It's also very close to Zion & Bryce Canyon for hiking.

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
Pabs said:
Haha, yeah, I do too. But I'm nto sure it's the place that does it. I think it just attracts people prone to that lifestyle. Once they get there, it's sort of like, "I've made it". Seven years later they turn up working construction in Aspen.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
EricD4 said:
Glad to see that you've finally come to your senses! :D

-E
CSU Alum
Now you're sounding like my fiancee.

I'm from FoCo, so I've got nothing but love for the green and gold as long as it's not game day.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.