Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Only One Way
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to upgrade my fork finally and I want a 150 MM Travel Light FR with a Coil Spring rather than air... What is my best option?

Considering

Fox 36 Van
66 Coil??
Posibley a Z1 if I can get a coil in a leg..

Let me know

Thanks C

·
Trail addicted
9 Posts
Go for a Z1 FR1 2005 if you can find one. It's light weight, about 2490 gr (with coil, oil, steer,...). And it's cheaper than the others.

But if you want to go big... well, 66 series are great if you don't care to add 3000 gr to youre bike !

MT Road said:
I am about to upgrade my fork finally and I want a 150 MM Travel Light FR with a Coil Spring rather than air... What is my best option?

Considering

Fox 36 Van
66 Coil??
Posibley a Z1 if I can get a coil in a leg..

Let me know

Thanks C

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
All good choices. I'm using a Van 36 on a Bullit, and it's an awesome fork. I think I'd pass on the Z1 when you have choices for light FR like the Marz 66 series and the Van 36. That sounds odd even to me to dismiss a Z1, but in light of forks in that 66 line and the Van 36, a burlier fork for little extra weight seems logical. The Travis line hasn't been out long enough for me to say one way or another as to how good it might be. My Bullit is under 33lbs. with the Van 36, and without XC parts.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
If you really mean "light FR" then the Z-1 is your best option. Look at the 06 Z-1 Light ETA. 5.7 lbs, and you can actually tune the fork to your riding style with the HS compression adjustment, and oil levels. The 36 Van is a decent choice if you are a lighter rider, but for big boys, they bottom easily without any recourse.

·
Only One Way
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I do really mean Light FR...

I am 145 and about 160 with gear, By light I mean no larger than 8 feet on a drop, and moderate jumps..

I did some more Research and the Z1 light looks good but dang it is white, everything on my bike is black... I guess I could spray paint the legs?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I really dig the 36 Van...eats up the small bumps at speed and can take some good hits. I use it on a Prophet MX and do everything from 5-6' drops to urban to downhill to 20 mile XC rides on it. It does bottom for me on rough or flat landings (I am around 190lbs) but it has the Med Spring in it...gonna put the heavier one in and that should help...I just consider it getting the most out of my fork...

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.