Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a cross country rider in the Southeast with a 2004 Kona Kikapu and I looking to buy my FIRST set of clipless pedals. I have heard that the pedals WILL make a BIG difference! I want a pedal that is easy to get in and out of and that is pretty decent performance wise. My choices thus far are the Crank Brothers Candy SL and Eggbeater SL, the Time Atac XS, and the Shimano M-540's. At first I was really high on the Time Atac's but I think I am leaning towards the Eggbeater SL's. Some have pointed out that there are four clips (2 sides to clip in), etc....Is there a big difference between the Eggbeaters and the Candy's? I know the platform/guard is the main difference. Are the Crank Brothers Pedals fairly easy to learn on? I am a XC rider in the Southeast so the terrain varies.

Also, I just purchased a pair of 661 Stingers (shoes) tonight to go with my pedals. It was between some Answers and the 661's. Anyone had any experience with 661 shoes?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
shimano 959 or Xpedo

I use shimano 959 pedal. It is excellent pedal. It's shimano top of the line XC pedal. I don'tknow time, ATAC or egg beater. If you use egg beater , you have to get egg beater cleats. Why don't you consider Xpedo pedal.

http://xpedo.com/pedals/mf.htm

Xpedo petal suppose to be clone of shimano 959. Xpedo has Ti version.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
I would recommend finding a bike shop that might let you try one of the pedals you are considering. I can tell you this, you are going to get alot of different answers on this subject. I doubt there will be a landslide of people leaning towards one pedal or another. I would personally recommend some crank bros pedals. Either models are fine. I tried shimanos when I first started out and after a month I just did not like the feel. I now consider them death traps. The eggs are super easy to get in and out of. They quickly became second nature. I don't know much about float or release angles and stuff, I just know the eggs work.

Try this link, good stuff. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=86389&highlight=candy

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Been there and done that with pedals...

I loved the idea of getting my hands on a Pair of Twin Ti Egg beaters. I had been using shimano 959's and they were flawless though mud shedding was not perfect or what I really desired. Got a pair of Twin Tis and they were good for a while but then they went down hill and my experience was less than desirable. The cleats wear often enough, the pedals never feel tight, too much float, bushings seem to wear out a good bit too and you seem to be forever thinking of pedal performance. After many sets of cleats one or two accidents because of bushing issues, after replacing the bushings etc I decided to move back to my 959s/540s...

Lesson here is stick with the old reliable Shimano pedal - they seem to offer a better feel, more positive click and don't require much TLC and they don't have too much float either. Just the right amount...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The Mallets were my first set of clipless. I liked the simple design of the eggbeaters and the Mallets provided a nice platform and clipless in the same package. Being new to clipless, I fell numerous times because I couldn't get out of the pedal quick enough. After some breaking in, unclipping is like second nature.

From the research I did:
- Shimano is a good design with adjustability but beware of mud
- Time Atacs have platform and clipless but some report a hump in the pedal when riding with standard shoes.
- Speedplay Frogs just didn't have enough positive or negative comments to convince me to go with them.
- Eggbeaters are simple and work well. These are not designed for those new to clipless but after break-in they are a joy to ride with.

·
255 Posts
I have been beating up a pair of Shimano 959 in the Southeast for a few years now. Although past Shimano pedals may have had mud problems, I have never been unable to clip in with the 959s, despite dealing with copious amounts of red clay mud and other gunk. The body is also very solid. They have withstood repeated bashings into rocks. The bearings are still very smooth as well.

·
Only dead people are old
709 Posts
I canned the Shimano pedals long ago because they would plug up so easily with mud, wet forrest soil, and snow/ice in the winter were really a problem. I used Time for quite some time and still think they are an awesome pedal, but not as good as the Crank Bros. For the last few years I have run Crank Brothers - currently have 4 bikes with Candy pedals - and love them. The Crank Bros. pedal is perfect for me and their customer service is way above that of either Time or Shimano (Shimano customer service=none).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shimano Pedals

The M959 or the M540 (less costly, just slightly weighs more) are what I would recommend. The 959s are the best ones I've used so far, and the 540's are just as good for considerably less.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the info. It is now between the Eggbeater SL's and the Time Atac XS...I can get them both for around the same price ($80 w/shipping). Now the hard part is deciding which is best and which will be better for me, an XC rider who has not used clipless pedals before.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yea, you can definitely tell the difference between platforms and clipless. Candy SL's all the way!!!!!!!! Low profile, but not too small. I still feel as though there is a little something there under my feet, makes me feel a little more stable.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Bike Nazi said:
their next level down 545's? something like that are just as good.
One thing i think is real great about the shimano 540's (as well as 52, 959) is the adjustable tension. You can set it nice and loose while you are learning, and therefore they are much more forgiving. Then, you can tighten them up when you feel confident. I know the times are not adjustable, not sure about eggs.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
I'm gonna put a vote in for Times. i've been using them for 5 years or so. never had any sort of failure. abused them severely. Nearly always can clip in in mud, ALWAYS can get out no problem.

·
Banned
683 Posts
I have some Times...if anyone needs some.

I have some Times in good shape. I paid 50 bucks for them and never used them...because I couldnt get the screws out of my shoes...and gave up. I will sell them for 50 bucks if anyone needs some. They come with extra shafts (titanium). Pm or email me.

bigdrunk said:
Tough question, but I will never use anything other than Times again. They have just the right amount of float, they are bombproof and mud can't stop them.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Shimanos are OK, but you may find yourself getting tired of them. They can sometimes release too easily (even after adjustment), and I always had to scrabble around a little before I could click in (that probably had more to do with me than the pedal :rolleyes: ).

I posted a "Time vs. Crank bros" thread a couple of weeks ago, which got some good opinions - do a search. I ended up throwing on a pair of Times I had lying around and wish I'd done it a year ago!

From what I understand, you can't go wrong with Eggbeaters either, but they can be fragile.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Go with the TIME

I have been using Time pedals for almost 12 years without problems. I now have Time pedals on my trail and road bike. I use them because of knee problems and the issue of float. They are durable as hell and do not need a lot of maintenance. The Eggbeaters have the nickname of Leggbeater due to the ejection problem when hitting rocks. The new Time ATAC are even better due to adjustable float and less weight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.