Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Heckler. Thinking about a Specialized Stumpjumper. But starting to open up to other brands like trek, giant etc. Simply put what is the best bike for climbing, with a good overall package(Fox Shocks front and back) and under 2,500. If that exists please let me know.

Thanks,
S

·
Registered
124 Posts
2009 GT Force 2.0
6" travel
Fox Float 32 R 5.5"/ 140mm
Fox Float R Shock
MSRP: $2299.99
I am not saying this is the BEST bike for the price, but it is certainly one the top CLIMBERS.

PS: Fox is not the only company that makes good shocks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help. Any place where I can read reviews on this bike. What about the sizing factor? I was hoping to get professionally fitted for my new bike. Any ideas as to how I can make sure that is the right fit? Thanks again.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The Trance is a great bike, but my fav is the Rocky mountain SXC50 best all around bike money can buy IMO... Climbs like a bat outta hell!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Another vote for the Trance or Trance X. I was looking at the Rocky Mountain Slayer XC 50 as well when I bought my bike...and while I doubt I would be unhappy if I had gone with the RM I can't say I regret choosing my Trance 1 either. I think the allure of the RM is that it just has a badass name and paintjob. :p

Edit: Also...I got my 2008 Trance 1 for $1200 while the SXC50 was a 2006 and they wanted $1800 for it. The Trance came better specced as well.

Sram X.9 rear
XT Front
Hayes Stroker Trail
Fox RL100
Fox RP2
and the wheels have stood up to my 275+ lbs on just about any terrain I've thrown it at.

The RM has more travel though and would probably be a more appropriate "ALL-Mountain" bike. The Trance is a kickass XC/Trail bike though...and the Trance X even more so I understand.

·
Genius
936 Posts
I'd suggest the Prophet. But Tires also can make a poor climber really good. Although I forget what stock tires my Cannondale came with, they were horrible.... I could spend very little time out of the saddle without loosing traction. So after some research, I settled on some Kenda Excavator 2.3's and the tires have made all the difference in the world.

Perhaps there are some climbing upgrades you could make?

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
I demo'ed Trek Top Fuel 9.8 and I was climbing in 2 gears lower than my XCL.
That thing was so light and fast I felt like I wasn't getting any workout.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts