Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a custom 29er being built for me early next year. One of the decisions I have to make is which type of bottom bracket I should use. Pressed fit bottom brackets seem to be the future, but I have not seen them so much on MTBs.
No desire to be a guinea pig, but I also don't want to go with a system that outdated in 2 years. Does anyone have made any experiences with BB30 (or whatever the current taste is) or are there clear favourites?

Thanks for your help.

·
meh....
3,588 Posts
zyclopath said:
I am having a custom 29er being built for me early next year. One of the decisions I have to make is which type of bottom bracket I should use. Pressed fit bottom brackets seem to be the future, but I have not seen them so much on MTBs.
No desire to be a guinea pig, but I also don't want to go with a system that outdated in 2 years. Does anyone have made any experiences with BB30 (or whatever the current taste is) or are there clear favourites?

Thanks for your help.
bb30, a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist?

or maybe it's all the ipa i been drinken'.

bb30 looks cool, but if you don't have problems with the standard threaded bb's of the norm, why bother?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,975 Posts
I would stick with standard English threaded 68mm or 73mm BB shell. The only real advantage of BB30 is a little weight savings over standard external bearing BB's. But you are pretty limited to what is out there and if BB30 doesn't stick...your stuck with an expensive frame with an obsolete system. Sure there are adapters but who wants that on a custom frame.

Besides, external BB's provide an extra point of Bling

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.