Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Revel Rascal,Scott Spark Rc900 wc
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best chainstay protectors? Chainslap is really annoying and it seems most brands skimp on the protectors on their bikes.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Are you using a clutch rear derailleur (that is working properly)? I find chainslap to be significantly reduced from 10 years ago when clutch derailleurs were not the norm. I lizard skin protector is probably about the best, but other solutions are cheaper that won't look as nice.

·
passed out in your garden
2,750 Posts
Old tube and cable ties has never let me down

·
Registered
586 Posts
Who makes the best chainstay protectors? Chainslap is really annoying and it seems most brands skimp on the protectors on their bikes.
I can recommend the Marsh Guard Slapper Tape.
It is easy to install, thick and does a decent job against chainslap.
Or just an old inner tube with zip ties.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I use silicon tape. Dead simple application, no adhesive and I haven't destroyed it yet. Also...inexpensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm going to second the 3M Scotch 2228 Mastic tape for chainstay. I put a strip of it on the top that wraps a bit around the sides and this works great.I also use the 2242 Rubber Splicing tape for where the cables may rub on my frame and have also wrapped a chainstay with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep 3m 2228 mastic tape is the best! You can cut it to any shape you need and even double it up in small section on the chainstays if you want!

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
4,868 Posts
Old tube and cable ties has never let me down
I still do this as well, though I have used mastic tape alongside it on one frame that had a couple spots that couldn't be wrapped.

·
Magically Delicious
9,255 Posts
This won't really answer the OP's question, but the answer is what ever works best for your chain stay. The fix is pretty easy and there a wide selection of things to choose from.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Self fusing tape. Sometimes called self amalgamating tape. You can get it in a few colors other than its usual black. It has a rubbery feel and bonds to itself. After bonding it is like the chainstay is enclosed in a solid piece of rubber.

·
passed out in your garden
2,750 Posts
Self fusing tape. Sometimes called self amalgamating tape. You can get it in a few colors other than its usual black. It has a rubbery feel and bonds to itself. After bonding it is like the chainstay is enclosed in a solid piece of rubber.
also known as "Vulcanising Tape" I think

1 - 12 of 12 Posts