Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
IMO, all lubes work well for their intended purpose, as long as you apply it properly.

Dry trails, no rain get a dry Teflon lube. Make sure the chain is nice and clean before putting it on though. Putting dry Teflon lube on an oily chain doesn't little more than spitting on it.

Wet trails get a heavy duty wet lube, and a lot of regular cleaning.

road use gets a light duty wet lube applied frequently (every ride) or a heavy duty wet lube applied less often.

I use white lightning Clean Ride on my trail bike with a lot of dry dusty conditions. The dry Teflon/wax thing works OK, but it does need cleaning every now and then. Lot of dirt gets picked up. Huge difference if I don't use the stuff every couple rides though. For my road/hybrid bike, I use the chain-L stuff linked in this post. My LBS turned me onto it, and it's worked great so far. Seriously sticky stuff though. It leaves oily spider webs between your drivetrain parts when you first put it on.
Best Mountain Bike Chain Lube For Wet Or Dry Conditions

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
I use Dumonde Tech but its hard to find local. what are some of the best lubes out there?
You already use the best lube. Nothing I've used (all of them) compares. These threads are almost as redundant as the which wheel size/bike threads

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yep another dumonde tech user. Won't go anywhere else. Their freehub oil is also primo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I've tried several. Haven't found anything that works as well as Dumonde Tech. I ride a rigid singlespeed with an Onyx hub, so my bike is totally silent. Being on a silent bike makes chain noise very noticeable. With Dumonde, I can ride a lot longer before I hear anything.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I have a large and varied collection of chain lubes and after years of experimenting I have reached the conclusion that it doesn't matter, as long as you use something!

Lighter oils will wash off more easily, thicker stuff will last longer, waxy ones last the longest but are hard to get into the rollers in the fist place but all are better than nothing. Or WD40, which is very similar to nothing!

·
Registered
311 Posts
99% of my rides are in dry dusty terrain. I use the white lightning teflon lube. Hose off the bike and reapply after every ride. Wet lubes make me cringe.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Or WD40, which is very similar to nothing!
It is better than nothing though. I've used it with great success on old rusted up chains. Spray and soak, get the links moving, then use a proper oil. It does serve a purpose.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
As long as you lube regularly...I really haven't found much difference between the different brands. I've got sooo many different bottles of lubes in my garage cabinet right now. I won't need to buy another bottle for years.

I avoid the "wet" lubes as I've found that they attract too much grime...and I just have no need for it living in a mostly dry climate. Living in So Cal...I've found that I can get away with using fairly light lubes.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,199 Posts
I have a large and varied collection of lubes after years of experimenting...
Now everyone knows why you're always smiling. :D

[HR][/HR]
Oh, and for the actual answer for OP my vote would be Rock n Roll Gold or White Lightning Clean Ride.

(no WD-40 for the bike - I save that for rusted bolts)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Im with those that say use something rather than nothing. I use rock n roll lube, blue or gold. I'm happy and my drive train stays clean and quiet.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Only lube the rollers. Let oil sit on the chain overnight after working it in for a minute or so then wipe chain completely dry before riding. Chains tend to get more messy from too much oil residue, more so than from actually getting dirt on them. Using this method just about any lube will work.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Squirt is best.

I live in the PNW and after trying everything including Pedros syn, Ice, Phil's, Maxima, Finishline wet, dry, White lightning, ProGold, Boeshield and Squirt, I have decided on Squirt by quite a margin.
Here is my theory on lubes for chains. I think the most important function is keeping grit away with actual lubrication coming second. After all, this is a human powered machine ,its not being put under any real extreme pressure, its number one enemy is dirt. It is dirt that wears the rollers, not metal on metal friction, that and corrosion. Oil, whether thick or thin does a great job at making stuff slippery, great for cables but it also acts as a transport for dirt and does absolutely nothing to prevent contamination. Wax on the other hand does. Squirt is the best wax lube as it sets up semi solid or soft and is more stable in various temps whereas others become brittle and flake off. The Squirt wax packs in the chain and stays there, lasting longer than the others while still "self cleaning" or attaching to dirt on the exterior to the point its more dirt than anything and falls off which I suppose oil does just that oil runs everywhre, not wax, which makes it much cleaner.
Squirt lasts longer than any light oil in the wet and close to many wet oils while not allowing grit inside the chain which makes the chain last a very long time. This is the most noticable improvement.
Squirt is much cleaner than any non wax lube which is huge as I hate cleaning,especially having to clean the chain to reapply new lube as most oil lubes require. Squirt only requires cleaning at the first application then you simply add it.
Progold was pretty good in dry conditions being so light but I would have to carry a bottle as it only lasted in roadie conditions.
I am interested in Dumonde Tech but really unlikely to risk leaving such a known quality product.

·
Registered
260 Posts
+2 for Squirt.....
Having tried many lubes, for me in a dry location( so cal) it just runs clean and quiet for much longer than any other lube I've tried.
Routinely get 150 to 200 miles between lubes and usually re lube to just make sure even though my drivetrain is quiet....

·
Registered
311 Posts
This season I've tried Maxima Chain Wax, and Rock N Roll Gold. Find myself going back to White Lightning Clean ride. Just bought a bottle of Squirt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts