Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the burliest lock/chahin combo that won't hurt the bike. My bike travels on a 1UP rear rack. I want be able to run a chain through both wheels, the frame, and into the bike back (single bike only).
I read that anything less than 15mm links can be snipped with a big bold cutter. I know an angle grinder will cut through anything, but I'd like to feel secure about stopping in a market or restroom on the road. Would never leave the ride unattended for long. And I don't want the lock to be the weak link.
Abus, Kryptonite, and a few others make excellent options, but it's not easy evaluating the options, or even specs from the websites. I also see wildly different prices for the same products online.
Recs appreciated!

·
I get knocked down...
293 Posts
Personally the 10mm-12mm Kryptonite hardened chain is perfect for this, but see if possible to lock to the hitch instead as the rack is still easily stolen or cut through.

The other big reason is the Kryptonite payout if you register and your bike is stolen, DON'T FORGET PICS!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I read that anything less than 15mm links can be snipped with a big bold cutter. I know an angle grinder will cut through anything, but I'd like to feel secure about stopping in a market or restroom on the road. Would never leave the ride unattended for long. And I don't want the lock to be the weak link.
I use a 7ft, 12mm OnGuard Beast chain, but have always shied away from driving with it in place because it's HEAVY.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think at some point it would be easier to break or unscrew the rack apart to steal the bike...I know the rack has a propriety-ish nut but the rest of the thing is regular bolts. I'd just get another one of the locks they have so both wheels are locked in place. Maybe even a cover so no one sees what kind of bike is under it rather than a bulky chain bouncing around on my frame...just my 2¢

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.