Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
mudpuppy said:
I hear shifter cable works good, what about gore-ride on. Any Ideas?
I have used a bunch of combos in the past. What I have found to work well is Top-o-the line Shimano Housings with regular non-coated cables. From my trials and errors I have found coated cables get gummed up after a while. where regular cables can be cleaned and relubed.

More importantly to what type of cables and housings you use, is how you set them up. Getting the housings cut straight and clean is key.

Greg

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
Standard cables and housing from the LBS. All I ever use. I can buy 4 sets of cables and enough housing to setup my bike 4 times for the cost of one complete set of Flak Jackets. The Gore system works awesome.....but it is $$ and increasingly hard to find (atleast around here). Go the cheap route and just replace them often.

jd

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Jagwires

I bought the Jagwire Macs and find them to not be any better than the stock LBS cable that I replaced (thought they look cool and seem to be way more robust). Even with the most efficient rout to the rear I could make, the brakes still feel slugish at the lever- like the cable has molasses in the housing. Yes I've fiddled with the tension spring on the caliper, but to no avail.

Got a set of Juicy 7's ready to be installed so will be by-passing the whole cable thing all together.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mudpuppy said:
Standard housing works fine. I use full length housing (QBP) and QBP or Jagwire Teflon coated cables. Do Not Use Lube with Teflon cables! It increases friction and gums them up.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
mudpuppy said:
Like JD & Shig, another plain-jane housing fan here. I buy bulk -- a file box (100') of QBP 5mm brake housing for about $25, and it's all I use. Smoothness comes from full length runs and proper housing end prep (I use a Dremel to cut and a scribe to open).

I've heard of weight weenies and racers using 1.2mm shifter cable on cantilever and V-brakes (at their own risk, of course), but don't recall anyone preaching the virtues of the stuff for mechanical disc brakes. It's one of those instances where it's probably safe if looked after, but I wouldn't do it.

Crappy prep equals crappy performance, no matter how good (or bad) a cable set you buy, so take the time to do that important first step right and you'll be a happy camper.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Good tip

I did grease up my teflon cables in the Jagwires upon installation. So it sounds like that's the cause of the molasses-like performance?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Was having some trouble with my Avids getting really crunchy in the rear. Ended up going with your plain old generic housing, full, all the way from lever to caliper, with good quality stainless steel cables. Smooth like buttah!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.