Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up my first MTB in a long time for another forum member and wanted some advice on good upgrades that wont hurt the wallet too much :D

2007 Rockhopper with stock Shimano components, alivio & acera DR's, shimano 8spd cassette & FCM341-8 crankset

Upgrades so far:

Wheels: Sun rims Rhynolites
Hubs: Shimano Deore M525 Disc Hubs
Seat: WTB Speed V
Bars: Titec Hellbent
Stem: Titec Pluto
Tires: Panaracer Fire XC
Brakes: Avid BB7 Front only (just ordered)

What other upgrades do you guys suggest? In the short amount of time I've ridden it I've come to dislike the shifters! My possible plans were to do a 9spd conversion with X7 components.

Any advice is appreciated thanks!! :thumbsup:

Aaron

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
Markku said:
Hello Aaron!

What's your target? A lighter bike? A stronger Bike?
What's the way you drive your Rockhopper? Do you use it for XC, freeride, ...?

Tell me more :)
it's a rockhopper

if you do a 9spd setup, go with an X.9 RD, pg980 cassette, KMC X9SL chain, and X.5 shifters are identical to X.7 internally. Also, your wheels are very heavy and overbuilt for that frame.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
how about an upgraded fork? anything over $150 will likely be better than the low end fork you have on that rockhopper (dart 3, i suppose?)

you will gain lots of performance + lose around 1lb of weight with an upgraded fork such as a Recon

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are you tubeless? That's one of the best and cheapest upgrades around. Another good lighter weight upgrade would be 1X9/8. If you don't use the first and third chainrings then you can loose probably over a pound by just removing some parts and it simplifies stuff. The only thing you would need would be a N-Gear Jumpstop or the like and maybe a bash guard. I'll chime in if I remember anything else.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
PSpuza said:
Are you tubeless? That's one of the best and cheapest upgrades around. Another good lighter weight upgrade would be 1X9/8. If you don't use the first and third chainrings then you can loose probably over a pound by just removing some parts and it simplifies stuff. The only thing you would need would be a N-Gear Jumpstop or the like and maybe a bash guard. I'll chime in if I remember anything else.
moving to a 1x9 is a good way to lighten up the bike. but i think he will need more than just that, i remember someone telling me i'd need a chain tensioner, a bashguard and a chainguide or something like that, and some bolts (not sure what size and which ones)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well you may need some shorter bolts (or file down the ones on the cranks) and the only other thing would be a Chain Jump stop. Some can be had for $10 and others for $40 or more. Just depends on what you want. You can add a bashguard but it isn't really necessary. Still a pretty cheep way to loose a pound if it works for you.

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
louisssss said:
moving to a 1x9 is a good way to lighten up the bike. but i think he will need more than just that, i remember someone telling me i'd need a chain tensioner, a bashguard and a chainguide or something like that, and some bolts (not sure what size and which ones)
you do not need a chain tensioner up front unless you are doing super DH or something. A bashguard is optional. The two popular setups are a chian-guide such as a MRP 1.X, or a chian-keeper+bash, which is heavier but gives you the protection of a bashguard.
see my setup:

there are now also seattube-mount versions

I agree on tubeless, one of the best upgrades you can do regardless of price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Markku said:
Hello Aaron!

What's your target? A lighter bike? A stronger Bike?
What's the way you drive your Rockhopper? Do you use it for XC, freeride, ...?

Tell me more :)
Thanks guys!

Target, a somewhat reliable smooth shifting bike. Casual trail riding likely, who knows what all I'll do with it tho. :D I plan on using it for conditioning also.

Forgot to add, I'm about a steady 140lbs. And wow I really like the price of upgrades, relatively speaking of course, coming from roadracing motorcycles everything seems so cheap! :eek:

Aaron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.