Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to those who answered my last question, Now I have another, my bike came with Hayes HMX 9 Hyd. What is a few steps up from that and the best brand for my somewhat small wallet? I do xc and mild up and down hills. TIA...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have no brakes.............

XSL_WiLL said:
Cheapest way is to upgrade the master cylinders to the HFX Mag MCs. If you've got about 3 hundo, you can get a nice set of Avid Juicy 7 or Shimano XT/Saint brakes.
Thanks for the come back, I have no brakes at this time, I bought the frame off here. I am building the bike to compete in a cancer charity run to get companies to donate dollars per miniute I go under the regular time for this trail, and im 52 yrs young, they will think I am not going to be that fast, ha ha are they wrong. And no I do not take a penny for my self.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I hate to say it but,

my bike mechanic friends tell me that the best inexpensive brakes are Shimano Deore or XT's. The Deore's are apparently much cheaper than the XT's.

I use Formula K24's and I had older Hayes brakes before that. My good friend (Derby) Ray rides Avid mechanicals and you can pick them up for a song. He is a fiddler, but their stopping power is reportedly quite good. I'm riding F180mm/R160mm rotors. The extra diameter on the front gives you more leverage and more heat dissipation.
Good Luck,

Kane

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
The LX and below brakes are good, but not great. The unibody calipers (XT, Saint, XTR) are much better. A little bit of extra [caliper] stiffness goes a long way.
I wouldn't buy Shimano's because they are not repairable.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I would get good old Hayes Mags....

bikaguy said:
Thanks to those who answered my last question, Now I have another, my bike came with Hayes HMX 9 Hyd. What is a few steps up from that and the best brand for my somewhat small wallet? I do xc and mild up and down hills. TIA...:thumbsup:
They may not have as smooth of modulation but they are completely rebuildable, pads last forever, and they ran drag free for me for years. Great brakes! I have Magura Louise FRs now and love the performance but they need lots of love between rides to run drag free. Oh, Mags are simple to bleed and almost every shop has parts for them....and the mechanics know how to work om 'em. Go into a shop with some Maggies and watch the mechanic's eyes cross with confusion....

Jaybo

·
Registered
367 Posts
I heard (from some professional downhillers, some amateur freeriders, and my mechanics --> tip him good so that u get every 'insider' info. Good dog) that Hayes hydros are technically good, but prone to leaking. Even the money-oriented LBS owner does not recommend me Hayes (he knows that I pay good but will complain like hell if the things he sells me give me hassle). Never heard of leaking Avid Juicy, though.

They all recommended Shimano hydros because:
1. They work, and they are reliable
2. They have not had any leaking Shimano brakes
3. Shimano uses earth-friendly mineral oil rather than DOT fluids (Hayes, Avid, Hope)that is disastrous to paint.

Id say:
Option 1: Get the master cylinder upgraded (like XSL_Will said). It shouldnt cost a fortune. And u still get to race
Option 2: If u still want to upgrade: Shimano Deore / LX (dont like the color of the LX, though) should be good for entry level hydros. But then, ur Hayes is on the same level with them. XT should be good if u want to step up.

Shimano products are normally well-designed, nicely built, durable, and wisely priced. But it is a big company, so they lack the 'hey-look-at-me' factor, unless u go for the XTR (is still a Shimano, big 'evil' corporate, but it cost a lot, so money still buy u pride, style, and confidence, eh? Unless u r not pride/style mania..)

Repairable or not: it is 2006. Many things are supposed to be disposable. SPending $150/pair for a year or two should justify the cost (of saving your front teeth & spending much time maintaining / taking care few hundred bucks investment -> not worthy IMO). If they break, get another one.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
MikeDee said:
I wouldn't buy Shimano's because they are not repairable.
Because the calipers are one piece, you cannot service or rebuild them yourself. You have to send them back to Shimano. The Hone, LX, and Deore calipers are bolted together, and can be rebuilt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.