Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a new Trek 4300, I need help!!! Everytime I ride it seems like by the end of the ride I lose all back brake pressure and I have to adjust it every time I get home.

1. Is there anything to do to prevent this from happening with the stock v-brake setup?
if so what do i need to do? I can adjust it to get it almost back to normal, i just didnt know what I need to do to make it STAY solid.

2. What would be the most practical, remember this word in your reply, PRACTICAL, brake upgrade for this bike? Disc?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
217 Posts
it has to do with tension in the return spings. cable disc are nice, but they have the same problems as v brakes as far as the spring tension. get a cheap hayes setup, try to find somethin for like 100-150 per wheel. best choice youll ever make.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
yes, disc. even a mechanical disc will beat the pants of your rim brakes. and good hydros like Hope M4's will beat the pants off of mechanical discs. Its mainly a matter of cost, Hydros, I recommend Hope mini or M4. for mech just try and find a "two piston" brake. Most of the mechs only push in the pad to the rotor from one side but I've heard of mechs that have two.

I personally do not recommend hayes. Many times they need adjustment after or during every ride. I have used shimanos (pretty good), Hayes (would be good if it wasn't for theat one adjustment screw) and Hope (the best in my opinion) A good pair of Hope minis or Shimano XTs sound just perfect for your bike. I had a pair of Shimano XT's on my Trek 8500 for a year and a half now and I still haven't adjusted the brakes. Avid juicy's are supposed to be good too but I can't testify for or against them. I did ride Avid mechanicals for 2 years and they were great for XC and worked just fine for agressive trail riding but a pair of hydros is a lot more modular.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hayes brake's are fine

dochall22
Everytime I ride it seems like by the end of the ride I lose all back brake pressure and I have to adjust it every time I get home.
riding in a lot of mud and eating up brake pads? The stock pads on that bike may be junk...try some dual compound pads...WTB used to make some great ones back when i used V's a couple years back.

RobsterCraw
I personally do not recommend hayes. Many times they need adjustment after or during every ride. I have used shimanos (pretty good), Hayes (would be good if it wasn't for theat one adjustment screw) and Hope (the best in my opinion) A good pair of Hope minis or Shimano XTs sound just perfect for your bike. I had a pair of Shimano XT's on my Trek 8500 for a year and a half now and I still haven't adjusted the brakes. Avid juicy's are supposed to be good too but I can't testify for or against them. I did ride Avid mechanicals for 2 years and they were great for XC and worked just fine for agressive trail riding but a pair of hydros is a lot more modular.
they fixed the reach adjustment screw in the hfx-9 2004-5 models. It was a simple problem really the hole and the bolt were mis-sized...a drop of your fav permanent loc-tite/superglue fixed the problem.

a more serious issue they had with earlier nine models was a piston bore that was cut in a factory somewhere in china with low accuracy levels. Some would be too tight and the piston would eventually freeze up or too big leading to piston blow-out. Hayes has always been great about warranty's though..

But they are strong, modulate well and work well in all conditions. The new Hayes Sole are OEM only, although you can find them new on ebay, i would steer clear and go for the nines they are around online for $100 wheel.

Shimano's and Hopes are top of the shelf great brakes that you will pay a lot of money for but are worth every penny if you have the dough.

dochall22
2. What would be the most practical, remember this word in your reply, PRACTICAL, brake upgrade for this bike? Disc?
Going from V's to disc's will require that you have disc tabs (for the calipers) on your frame and fork and disc hubs on your wheels (to attach the rotors)
Going for mechs may be cheaper as you will only need to buy calipers and rotors as the brake levers you have now will work...this could factor big into your equation if you need a wheelset as well.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
the 4300 had a disc option

DISC OPTION:
BRAKESET: Shimano Alivio mechanical disc w/alloy levers
WHEELS: Shimano Alivio disc hubs; WTB Speed Disc rims

looks like the other option isn't disc ready, so you need new hubs/wheels to accommodate the rotors. Long story short, it'll be cheaper to get a whole new bike, as the 4300 MSRP list is $359.00. New wheels and a set of discs will set you back more than that.

If you bike is new, I'd be back at the LBS seeing if I could swap it out.

For more info, shoot over to the BRAKES forum and read the FAQ in the upper right of that page.

Jim

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
if you get Hayes (which i recommend), simply dont get the HFX-9s. People that generally refer to Hayes being problematic are referring to the 9's.

Get the base cheapo model for just about anything and you obviously wont get performance.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
zedro said:
if you get Hayes (which i recommend), simply dont get the HFX-9s. People that generally refer to Hayes being problematic are referring to the 9's.

Get the base cheapo model for just about anything and you obviously wont get performance.
Although I think that with the hfx9s it's sort of a 50/50 chance of them sucking. Mine have never sucked and I know a lot of peoples that haven't but I also know a lot of people that have completely lost all braking power during the middle of a ride.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
dochall22 said:
I'm riding a new Trek 4300, I need help!!! Everytime I ride it seems like by the end of the ride I lose all back brake pressure and I have to adjust it every time I get home.

1. Is there anything to do to prevent this from happening with the stock v-brake setup?
if so what do i need to do? I can adjust it to get it almost back to normal, i just didnt know what I need to do to make it STAY solid.

thanks guys.
How old are your cables????... because if they are new they will strech for a little while.....if old, then you might want to replace the cables.

How do you define the word practical??? Because new hubs and disc brakes will cost you some dollars. If you are not riding anything too steep, then I would replace the pads in the V-brakes and get some new cables

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i've had the bike for about a month, and i know the cables are stretching a little bit and i've adjusted them on the brake. I will get new pads and try them out and see how that goes first, but i was quoted 125 for disc brakes for the back at my LBS,

BUT i seen a bike there, a 4300 that was an 18 i'm riding a 16 and it was only $100 more than what i paid for mine. i wonder what they would let me trade mine in for? i dont know if that would be the best way to go about it financially

i'm looking to pay around 100 to 150 per wheel, i'm just wanting to do the back wheel right now, the front is fine, we are going down some pretty steep stuff and i have to have some sort of brake in the back just to attempt to slow me down

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Although I think that with the hfx9s it's sort of a 50/50 chance of them sucking. Mine have never sucked and I know a lot of peoples that haven't but I also know a lot of people that have completely lost all braking power during the middle of a ride.
Mine work fine after reapplying locktite the the lever adjusters

·
Registered
467 Posts
if you can only afford to change one wheel at a time, definitly change the front wheel first. your front brake it much more important than the rear. the reason the rear brake feels more "squishy" is because the cable is soo much longer and that it will stretch more. your font brake is naturally goign to "feel" stronger, because you naturally will get more stopping power from yoru front brake. also, with such a cheap bike, i wouldnt put much money into it. i bought a cheap bike, and slowly upgaded everything. i now have about two grand in my bike, and not much to show for it. had i simply saved up 2 grand and bought something, i would have a much nicer bike. good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
other than the brakes, there is nothing else i really need, i like the gears, i like everything, maybe some bar ends, and i thought about different handly bars, but thats about it, i'm not getting to deep into it, just something to ride

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Well if you are not just lost on the forum and are infact into freeride and downhill you may want to save up for a more capable bike. the 4300 works for XC but the geometry isn't prime for DH. You may be one of those hard core hard tail fans or you may want something with at least medium travel full suspension.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
dochall22 said:
other than the brakes, there is nothing else i really need, i like the gears, i like everything, maybe some bar ends, and i thought about different handly bars, but thats about it, i'm not getting to deep into it, just something to ride
If you want bar ends your in the wrong forum!!!

"thats a guy who buys his salsa from New York City"
GET A ROPE :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
oh ya he's lost

but wanting to upgrade a 4300....we already knew that and he needed some good advice bad... :p These guys would have him putting $500 discs on a $400 bike... :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.