Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need a new bottom bracket for an ISIS race face crank. I have heard that the race face evolve series is junk. I have heard mixed reviews about the Truactiv gigapipe. I want something that will be durable enough for freeride, even though I will primarily be using it for XC. What suggestions do you guys have? Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The outboard bearings do last a lot longer. They are much larger bearings. That is the problem with ISIS, small bearings, fast wear. They went with small bearings to increase the spindle size. That is what the integrated stuff with outboard bearings is doing as well, but without the down falls.

The new standard coming out is BB30 which has a bigger spindle, bigger bearings, but allows different Q (distance pedals are out from BB shell), instead of being limited due to having stuff outside the BB shell.

Frankly for everything but DH it seems silly to me. The best BB's on the planet are old cup and cone style you find on track bikes. They do not wear out, are as stiff as it will ever get... They just cost too much to make so people are going away from them, not enough profit, no new sales. I have never used one for DH or jumping, but due to tight tolerances I assume unless yours is setup right (faced and chased BB shell) they would develop problems. Road biking though, hell no.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Been running 4 bikes with Race face evolve DH bottom bracket. My old bike and both my sons bikes. My new ride is Truvative, same stuff. We get 2 years out of them on XC, AM and a yearly trip to Mammoth. Ive read the trashing reports but have had good experience with them, the DH has dbl bearings on the drive side. My oldest son, 23yrs old 6'3 and 270lbs has had the outer drive bearings race crack and the balls fall out of the race after about 2 years of use, and rode it out on the bearing that was left. The other failuers were play that developed after about 2 years use. Got nothin bad to say about the product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.