Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find I launch water bottles from time to time. That's something I can't afford to do at endurance races. I suspect it's due to the rigid bike getting bumped about. I used some Specialized Rib Cages at the Leadville 100 and launched two bottles. :(

Any suggestions for better bottle retention?

(Please, no Camelbak vs. bottle hijacks...)

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
hmmm... bottles...

for starters, the smaller, standard sized (21-22 oz) bottles stay in any cage much better than the larger (28-32 oz) bottles do.
now that carbon is all the rage, more cages are starting to have a wrap around design vs. a single, tubular piece of metal forming the cage. some can be pretty spendy, but i know that they hang on to a bottle better (can be difficult to get your bottle out, esp. until you are used to them) and due to their construction, are some of the lightest cages ever.
Tacx Tao, Profile Design, Elite, Zipp (getting expensive now!), but the deal has to be the Performance Carbon cage. only 30 grams and on sale for 20 bucks right now!
here's the link:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18207
let me now if that helps!
aD-man

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fishtoes2000 said:
I find I launch water bottles from time to time. That's something I can't afford to do at endurance races. I suspect it's due to the rigid bike getting bumped about. I used some Specialized Rib Cages at the Leadville 100 and launched two bottles. :(

There is only one worth having, the Cateye BC-100

I have been using them for more than 15 years. Light, unbreakable, hold great and cheap.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fishtoes2000 said:

The Salsa one works very well...holds the bottle well and I personally don't know of anyone whos thrown a bottle with these

Another good one is made by a guy named King. A rep of mine sold me some and I loved them. Tubular steel...very light weight, guy makes them all by hand. Very cool...but my rep doesn't have them anymore and I don't know anything more than that they were called King Cages...but if you throw a lot of bottles these are the ones to get!!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Iris vs std king cage?

One better than the other for holding the big bottles?

I launched a couple bottles this weekend too... man it's been a while since I went offroad rigid!
Serge

The_Real_Cyclesmith said:
After some searching I found a place that has them...called King Cages. Get this one...it rules!!!!

Cambria Bike has them

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
$$$$

king cages are the true sculptures of the bottle cage scene (maybe everything with "king" in it's name is super sweet!).
the bad news is they will lightnen up your wallet more than your bike (Ti esp.). :eek:

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Just to be different, I'll go with Blackburn (also available on that Cambria page).

But pretty much anything in this sort of a design does the job for me because I bend the cage in for a really tight fit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
logbiter said:
One better than the other for holding the big bottles?

I launched a couple bottles this weekend too... man it's been a while since I went offroad rigid!
Serge
The Iris works better are far as preventing throws...but the standard works awesome as well. Plus the Iris gets more attention, people notice that one on your bike!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Trek Bat Cage

I used this combination on my full rigid SISS and never lost a bottle. I use the same combination on all of my bikes now.

The Bat Cage has a locking lip at the top that will engage with bottles designed with a deep groove. It does not work will when mounted on the bottom of a down tube, or when using bottles with a shallow groove. They are also less than $10 from the local Trek dealer.

Trek Bat Cage + Any bottle with the type of deep groove ring near for locking at the top.:

I don't know how to get an image posted, but I have tried. If there is no image, you can see the bat cage at the Trek website on their acessories pages. www.trekbikes.com. Their regular bottles are also the type that I am talking about.

·
pepito
640 Posts
i'm with wooglin on this one. just bend 'em. i've got a sh!tload of old alloy and steel ones, and i can bend them enough to hold just about anything. and they're damned cheap too. the king cages are nice, but c'mon! who needs expensive bottle cages?!

the_dude

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Ditto, I just get the cheap tektro/delta cage and bend it in a bit. It makes it a pain to get the bottle out, but you don't lose bottles.

I can see why the King and other wrap around cages would work better. The top of the bottle is held in by the portion of the cage closest to the frame (ie the most rigid portion of the cage). Nice idea, but I am not shelling out more than $5 for a h20 cage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.