Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, I need some tips on where the best park biking in Colorado is, I'm thinking about taking a week and splitting the time between Keystone and Vail, but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was there 3 weeks ago. Skip Vail. I have no idea about Keystone. I spent 10 days in and around CO, and as far as I can tell I missed everything good. Seems like all the good stuff is in Durango/ Crested Butte area. Go there, even if it's out of the way.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I've actually heard great things about Vail. From what people say it's quite different from Keystone and is a lot of fun. They're each within an hour's drive of each other so if you're going to hit a few days at Keystone you ought to try a day or two at least over at Vail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hit both!!!

Hey, I live in CO and go to both places....Keystone has some great shore style riding with a great new dropzone area...Vail has the 97 downhilll course with some very technical riding...if your riding alone on the trip hit me up and we can ride together...i am still new to CO.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Both places are lots of fun.

Vail- smooth, flowy, scenic
Keystone- rough, gnarly, fast

Take your pick! Best to ride them both like people said, as they are far enough apart to have very different environments, trees, dirt etc. I don't really have a favorite. Vail is 20 to 30 minutes past Keystone so it's not too out of the way. Vail has more variety, Keystone has more stuff like in videos. If Vail was closer, I would switch back and forth :)

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
tosis said:
I was there 3 weeks ago. Skip Vail. I have no idea about Keystone. I spent 10 days in and around CO, and as far as I can tell I missed everything good. Seems like all the good stuff is in Durango/ Crested Butte area. Go there, even if it's out of the way.
Vail is worth doing...............very much so.........................Keystone is a blast
they are 1/2 hour from each other (what is wrong w/combiker he should know they are not an hour apart)

I heard great things about Durango in Southern Colo, but have never been there

·
Teton Larry
7 Posts
Winterpark

Keystone does rent bikes. Haven't been there in 3 years, but even back then there was some great freeriding there. Winterpark is the place to ride in Northern Colorado. It's better than Keystone, or Vail by far. Huge variety, from downhill to mellow singletrack. I've ridden all of the frontrange stuff, which is fun If you like cross country. Steamboat runs their lifts for bikes too. Super fast, flowy singletrack. 6 and 6 would be perfect in Steamboat. Telluride has the steepest gnarliest riding I have ever been on anywhere (or even seen in a movie, seriosly). They also run their gondola for free all summer. None of the downhill trails are marked though, and unless you know someone who lives there, you will never find the sickness.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
For future reference, If you really want to know the goods on CO riding, post in the CO Front Range forum. Take it from the folks that actually ride/race the resorts on a regular basis. (not to discredit COmtnbiker12, as he is a front ranger, too).

5.5/6" will get you down the mtn safely, and you will have fun. But the high speed, very rough sections will make you suffer.

I haven't seen any DH specific bikes for rent in Keystone, but then again, I'm not looking for one. I do know for a fact that Vail rents DH bikes.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Most of the guys with big bikes head for keystone. Vail has some really fun stuff - Gotta love Magic Forest. Winter Park has a great deal for season passes ($100), but it is relatively tame (but fun) from what I've seen, but I haven't done mt. goat. WP wants to add a lot of stuff, so we'll see.

·
Registered
662 Posts
umm, tetonlarry, WP isn't so great right now, only about 1/2 of one DH run is open

we just got back from keystone & vail last weekend, and they're both worth riding, while in vail, eat some moe's bbq, mmmmmmmmmm bbq, and say hi to the gondola troll

I prefer keystone, but if you're there, they're def both worth riding

·
Registered
304 Posts
Keystone and Vail for DH, maybe Winter Park depending on what you are looking for. I heard they are going to make some upgrades at WP. If you are looking to some XC and Trail riding, there is a ton at all of the above.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.