Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had just about the best experience I have ever had with any bike shop and just had to tell everyone.

I've been trying for over a week to find a bike shop any bike shop that has a reaming tool. I am in the process of installing a deep headset on my Ellsworth Dare because I have sheared off the cups on one and the second one started to creak so I figured it may be in the beginning stages of being ovalized.

I called every bike shop in Tampa and Miami without luck. I brought the frame to a high tech machine shop with CNC machines and they did not feel comfortable doing it, the minimum charge with these guys is $75/hr. So I posted on here a few days ago, asking if anyone knew of any bike shops in Florida that has one. I got a reply to check Orange Cycles in Orlando. gave them a call and yup, they said they did. Although I kind of doubted it. I did ask them to make sure it was a reamer and not a facer. This was a problem a lot of bike shops had made after I brought it in.

Decided to take the kids to see the Shuttle launch and stop by before to have it done. As any family with 2 kids would understand, we ended up being late and I ran into the bike shop and was about to just drop it off and pick it back up on monday. The were UNBELIEVABLY busy and I have never seen such a shop stocked with first rate equipment...Sugoi, Fox, Specialized, the newest and current stuff.

One of the owners ( older lady) asked what I needed done and I told her, she looked at the workorder and noticed I was from Tampa. She calls the head mechanic and asked him to take care of it right away since I drove so far. I told her it was ok, I did not want to bump anyone, but she insisted and said gas was so much these days.

Charged me $20 to face and ream the headtube. I asked the mechinic if he used the tool often and he said every Chris King installation gets it done. Wow !!!!

Every chance I get I am going to stop by this store. They have been open for many years and now I know why.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Orange is a great shop...glad you had a great experience with them. I live just a couple miles away, so if you ever need anything from them, let me know.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did enough already...

BillT said:
Orange is a great shop...glad you had a great experience with them. I live just a couple miles away, so if you ever need anything from them, let me know.
If it wasn't for you, I would not have been able to get this done. Thanks I do appreciate it, and yea the bike shop was top notch. Give me a holler if you are ever over this way riding Alafia.

Wayne.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I was just at Alafia yesterday for a spin. The trails were in pretty good shape, but I wasn't. The heat really got to me and I only rode half of what I normally do.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tomorrow...

BillT said:
I was just at Alafia yesterday for a spin. The trails were in pretty good shape, but I wasn't. The heat really got to me and I only rode half of what I normally do.
I may attempt to go out sometime tomorrow. The bike is still in pieces and hopefully I can squeeze in enough time to get it back to a ridable condition. Every year I completely break down every not and bolt and clean/regrease, we are now at that point. Headset pressed in beautifully last night :thumbsup: .

Thanks Again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts