Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year we hit Whistler and had a blast. This year we'd like to find another awesome bike park. Any suggestions?

I'm checking out Mammoth and Mt Hood...

Btw, we're definitely more cross country than downhill types. The bones are getting mighty old and brittle. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
skihillguy said:
Well if you did the whistler bike park then c'mon on back and hit the real trails all around whistler valley
We actually did that for a few days before doing the bike park. :thumbsup: Met some cool locals that took us up the mountain behind Function Junction - can't remember the trail/loop name.

We also tried another one but bailed...how the hell do you ride all those roots and rocks?!? Not to mention avoiding the carnivorous mosquitos!!:eek:

I've actually made our reservations for Mammoth. Looks like a cool place with a couple bonuses: can just throw the bikes in the back of the truck and drive there - no airfare $$

Thanks for the suggestions...I've never heard of the others, but will be checking them out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mammoth is the best IMHO. Mammoth has long, long trails available. Off the top to Beach Cruiser to Downtown is close to 15 miles. I've been to Whistler and although it has some good XC trails, it seems mainly suited to the "Big Bike North Shore" enthusiasts while I'm more inclined to stay on the ground if I have a choice. Plus their longest trail when I was there in '02 was about 2.5 miles. That's a lot of lift rides! And what's with having to load your own bike on the lift? Even some of the guys had trouble putting their 40+ lb bikes on that little hook. Mammoth uses the gondola and has shuttle busses to bring you back to the top if you go all the way to the village. I think they have added more stunt obstacles and big bike stuff in recent years. You'll have a blast there.
Winter Park in CO and Northstar at Tahoe are good too.

·
mtbr member
20 Posts
Best bike park (Mammoth MTN)

I 2nd the motion for Mammoth MTN Bike Park. I have ridden there once a year every year since 1993. It's a beautiful area with trails for every riding level. Also with the ability to ride the gondola to the top of the mountain and ride all the way into town and shuttle back up to the park, you can rack up some serious single track mileage. One year I rode 50 miles in day at Mammoth and had a blast. My favorite trails are off the top and downtown, highly recommended.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mammoth vs. Whistler

Maddog said:
Mammoth is the best IMHO. Mammoth has long, long trails available. Off the top to Beach Cruiser to Downtown is close to 15 miles. I've been to Whistler and although it has some good XC trails, it seems mainly suited to the "Big Bike North Shore" enthusiasts while I'm more inclined to stay on the ground if I have a choice.
What if you DO like air - does Mammoth have anything smooth and flowy with jumps and drops like at Whistler? What are the trails like?

I like really technical XC (technical as in New England rocky, not necessarily prolonged steep stuff or highly exposed), and on the flip side have learned to love stuff like like A-Line and Dirt Merchant at Whistler.... Just moved to SoCal and I'm wondering if it's worth the drive to Mammoth in the summer, whether I'll like it. I've heard many conflicting reports. Thanks for the input!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Maddog said:
I've been to Whistler and although it has some good XC trails, it seems mainly suited to the "Big Bike North Shore" enthusiasts while I'm more inclined to stay on the ground if I have a choice. Plus their longest trail when I was there in '02 was about 2.5 miles. That's a lot of lift rides! And what's with having to load your own bike on the lift? Even some of the guys had trouble putting their 40+ lb bikes on that little hook.
Winter Park in CO and Northstar at Tahoe are good too.
Maddog, Whistler's changed a bit since 2002. I remember riding there in '01 and '02 and can't believe the changes that have taken place over the last few years. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even recognize the bikepark..... At this point, you can get a lift almost to the very top and get ~3,500 feet of vert in one run. Even if you didn't stop once on the way down, it would take you at least 25 minutes to do a full run top to bottom if you were totally pinnin' it. They have a top to bottom race for Crankworx and guys like Cedric Gracia and Steve Peat take 15+ minutes to do it.

Also, they've designed a new lift setup for bikes that allows you to just roll them onto the lifts. It's as easy as it can get. I think they're going to start selling these to other mountains in the future.

FYI, Northstar is closed to biking this season as they are building a mega resort part way up the hill (a Ritz hotel I believe).

Other good resorts (all Canadian) are Kicking Horse near Calgary, Sunpeaks in Kamloops, Silverstar in Vernon and Apex near Penticton.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you like rocks, Mammoth has them especially on Skid Marks. I think the X-zones they've added and some of the double black diamond trails have jumps like A-line (which I did at Whistler) but I have never ridden them. I believe they keep adding more big drop stunts and jumps each year. Mammoth is definately worth the trip. I've gone their just on a loooong day trip! If you want to go, let me know and see if I can go too. We'll split the gas money!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Those improvements would make the Whistler experience much better. If we ever get up there again, I'll gladly check it out. The gondola at Mammoth does take you up to the very top at over 11,000 feet; well, you do have to walk the last 20 ft to the 11,053 ft. sign. The trails up there can take you back to the village but I don't know the exact elevation change. It is about 15 miles of S.T. via Off the Top. If Whistler has that kind of trail milage for one trip up the lift then they have added a lot of trail in 4 years. Good to see that Whistler is at least trying to catch up to Mammoth!

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Even if you didn't stop once on the way down, it would take you at least 25 minutes to do a full run top to bottom if you were totally pinnin' it. They have a top to bottom race for Crankworx and guys like Cedric Gracia and Steve Peat take 15+ minutes to do it.

Cheers,
EBX
HAH!! I did the Garbanzo race in 19.5 last year and beat Gracia!

Uh ... he flatted on the first jump, rode it out with a flat front tire and still managed to finish in just under 23 minutes.

Kn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.