Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
GOT ME A 29ER!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to look for a new bike. It will be used for mainly XC and a bit of AM. I will buy from anywhere and used is preffered as long as it is in good condition. I am leaning towards a full suspension but would go for a HT if it had more bike for my money. Any ideas are helpful, Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally, I try to stay away from Trek bikes. They're good, but you get a better value with Giant and Specialized. You first need to decide if you want full suspension or a hardtail. Then decide if you want 26" or 29" tires. Once you know that, consider the Trance and Anthem from Giant and the Stumpjumper and Epic from Specialized.

Good luck!

·
Registered
593 Posts
No such thing as a best bike. Start by figuring out what features you are looking for, 29er? Full Suspension? Hardtail? Carbon Frame? Once you narrow it down by features then make a list of the brands that have what you want at your price point. Then ride them and see which fits you the best.

·
Registered
861 Posts
hardtail will get more out of that 2k. get a fork between 120-140mm. check out the Santa Cruz Chameleon.

if you go more AM than XC (130-150mm fork) and like steel frames, check out Transition Trans Am, Evil Soverign, Ragley Blue Pig.

·
GOT ME A 29ER!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've made a bit more money for my new bike fund since posting this and have almost made up my mind on a Salsa Spearfish. I was looking at Motobecanes for awhile but there were just too many parts I would want to switch out

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
GOT ME A 29ER!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that Fs moto is compaable, but I would want wider bars, different saddle, upgraded wheels, probably new tires, nothing is really a big deal (maybe wheels) but I prefer the Salsa overall. I do not really want top of the line components, I don't want to have to panic about a possible $150 messup every time my RD hits a rock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
advice on first bike

hey everyone! I just got my first bike so I am excited but at the same time uninformed. I just got a trek 4300d. There is no going back now but was wondering first, is it a good started bike, and what upgrades should I consider. If I should upgrade something, what brand of part and about how much it costs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't upgrade a single thing, just enjoy the bike and when you are ready to make the jump to a new bike, just sell it. The worst thing you can do is thrown hundreds of dollars on a $600 bike and end up spending over $1K when you could have just got a great lightly used bike that is way better.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
hey everyone! I just got my first bike so I am excited but at the same time uninformed. I just got a trek 4300d. There is no going back now but was wondering first, is it a good started bike, and what upgrades should I consider. If I should upgrade something, what brand of part and about how much it costs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Ride it and see how you feels maybe you will find stuff you dont like. I did not like my pedals or bars or grips so i changed them. Over time as you get better you will learn to work on the bike you will see what parts are hindering you if any. Just upgrade as needed for performance. Wider bars gives more control better pedals gives more traction for the feet and good tires can give you more acceleration and traction.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Avoid the Trek. In my experience (which, admittedly, is limited) their stuff is pretty fragile. I have a Navigator 2.0 and it breaks something just about every time I go off the pavement. Shifters, Derailleur, screws coming lose, bent seat post,etc. Just not ready for anything but dirt that happens to be on top of pavement.

·
Banned
773 Posts
Its your lucky day BD just came out with a sweet looking line with great parts for 2000 and under. Have a look they look really nice and the frames have a lifetime warranty. If I had the cash I would get one for sure.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29er_bikes.htm
You mean the line that has a rediculously short top tube? BWAAAHHHAAAA. You just keep pimping these, proves how little some people really know about bikes. Still it doesn't keep them from posting recomendations about bikes they have not even seen much less ridden. God I hope no one takes advice from you, if they do they are going to be very angry. You have got to work for BD, comeon admit it. No one would pimp BD as much as you do unless they worked for them, especially pimping rides with effed up geo like these.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Avoid the Trek. In my experience (which, admittedly, is limited) their stuff is pretty fragile. I have a Navigator 2.0 and it breaks something just about every time I go off the pavement. Shifters, Derailleur, screws coming lose, bent seat post,etc. Just not ready for anything but dirt that happens to be on top of pavement.
Greg, the Trek Navigator is a comfort/hybrid bike, not a mountain bike. It is design for pavement not mountain/trail riding. I don't think its fair to criticize a manufacturer when you break something by using outside of what it was built for.

·
you never can tell
65 Posts
You mean the line that has a rediculously short top tube? BWAAAHHHAAAA. You just keep pimping these, proves how little some people really know about bikes. Still it doesn't keep them from posting recomendations about bikes they have not even seen much less ridden. God I hope no one takes advice from you, if they do they are going to be very angry. You have got to work for BD, comeon admit it. No one would pimp BD as much as you do unless they worked for them, especially pimping rides with effed up geo like these.
Are Giant's and Trek's ETT's too short as well?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_29_ds_geochart.html
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er/7508/44088/
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...ntain/singletrack_trail/rumblefish/rumblefish

While I do see differences, they don't seem to be very large. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't work for BD have a look at my location GERMANY!. I have however looked over all of the BD bikes and know as far as the parts go they are the best bang for the buck. The guy asked about a fs 29er for under 2000 I knew of some so I told him. If you read my posts you will see when people have a higher budget I recommend other bikes such as Giant BMC Cannondale ext. When new guys ask for a budget bike I recommend BD because I don't want to see some new guy with some pos trek 3500 with single walled rims and some pos suntour pogo stick. You are entitled to your opinion and so am I but you don't need to be a little prick when you give your opinion. I sure as hell am never a little prick when I give my opinion. If you want to disagree with me just say I don't agree don't act like a little child. I don't know maybe you are a kid if you are I can understand how you are acting if not grow up :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.