Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Caldaw
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested in thoughts of the best bike for this broad range of riding. I currently ride a Specialized Enduro Expert but find it a bit heavy and too slack a head angle for XC riding, but love it at Demo forest. I'm 6'4" and a clydesdale.

Thoughts/opinions?

·
190lbs of climber
1,554 Posts
Heckler! I just built one up for Downieville, and it feels great--like a lighter Nomad. Get the "high volume" rp23. With meaty 2.55 Weirwolf Lt's, Pike Dual Air, and a 1900 gram dt 240/ 5.1D wheelset it sits under 29 lbs for an XL, so you could drop a pound or two with a lighter wheelset and xc tires for racing CCCX.
edit: I'm 6' 5" and 185lbs. 350mm setback seat post, 120mm 10* stem and it fits like a glove

·
Registered
762 Posts
Another vote for the Heckler. Built as a trail bike it can handle everything efficiently, but you could also build it as more of a freeride bike and it would still work really well.

Mine is 27lbs, and the only thing slowing me down is my lack of skill :).

·
Caldaw
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stumpy?

I'm thinking Stumpjumper Carbon. I'm a few lbs heavier than Menso, 55 in fact, so I need a solid bike but don't want to slack a geometry.
Wondering about 4" suspension vs. my 6"/6" Enduro too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yo, dad!

Yeah, he and I were thinking of the '08 Stumpjumper Pro Carbon for a few reasons:
It's about 8 pounds lighter than his '06 Enduro, and far more nimble up the climbs (brain shock and fork, steeper angles, shorter wb, etc). Also, I don't think he's riding places like Demo etc. at the level of aggressiveness that would require a bike as slack and plush as an Enduro. But 120mm of travel would be better for him than say.. the 100mm of an Epic.

Any Clydes out there who're 210-240 lbs who ride a carbon stumpy? I'd think the 1.5" to 1 1/8" headtube would help a lot with stiffness for a big guy, and I'm pretty confident the frame would be fine for someone that size.

·
aka dan51
5,988 Posts
I weigh in at about 220 with gear and ride an aluminum 08 Stumpy Pro. The bike is awesome, but it lacks in travel for jumping of any kind. I bottom it super easy, even with more air than suggested. I have already cracked the rear triangle but that was probably because I was riding it like an Enduro. For 99% of my riding it's the best bike I've had.

If I could go back I'd look at the Blur LT and Mojo. Hecklers seem to have the most loyal following of any bike, although Turner guys would probably dispute that.

The carbon bike is lighter, but I would bet most of that weight savings comes from parts, not the frame. A 220lb guy on light weight stuff just doesn't seem like a good idea IMO. You'd be spending $7k on stuff that might not last as long.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,201 Posts
Heckler, 6'5" 220+lbs

But I have it built up more as an all mountain bike 1X9 with a chain guide, but I ride places a lot rougher than Demo.

If it gets too steep, I either walk or get strong. Lately I've been walking.... whatever.

But it is just so fun to ride.

george

·
Registered
937 Posts
I test rode an aluminum and carbon enduro in a parking lot and the Aluminum version is noticeably stiffer. I'm 215lbs w/o camelbak (as test ridden).

-Sp

dan51 said:
I weigh in at about 220 with gear and ride an aluminum 08 Stumpy Pro. The bike is awesome, but it lacks in travel for jumping of any kind. I bottom it super easy, even with more air than suggested. I have already cracked the rear triangle but that was probably because I was riding it like an Enduro. For 99% of my riding it's the best bike I've had.

If I could go back I'd look at the Blur LT and Mojo. Hecklers seem to have the most loyal following of any bike, although Turner guys would probably dispute that.

The carbon bike is lighter, but I would bet most of that weight savings comes from parts, not the frame. A 220lb guy on light weight stuff just doesn't seem like a good idea IMO. You'd be spending $7k on stuff that might not last as long.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Turner Spot or Ventana El Ciclon. Both are 5" bikes that do great with clydes and superclydes. You may also want to check out the Pivot 5" bike, which has the great DW link set up to feel firmer and racier than most 5" travel bikes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
+1 for the mojo. 5.5 inches of travel in back, and you can put a 6 inch travel fork on the front if you want. Mine has a 32 fox talas 140 in front, mostly xtr, and it is very light -- around 24 pounds. Straddles the XC-AM boundary nicely.

·
190lbs of climber
1,554 Posts
fatdave said:
+1 for the mojo. 5.5 inches of travel in back, and you can put a 6 inch travel fork on the front if you want. Mine has a 32 fox talas 140 in front, mostly xtr, and it is very light -- around 24 pounds. Straddles the XC-AM boundary nicely.
Mojo is a good one. I've never ridden one myself, but a friend of mine rips on one, be it DH, Dual Slalom, or general trail riding. He did manage to crack the frame, but it was the previous generation with a known issue and Ibis replaced it right away with the re-engineered version.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
CDMC said:
Turner Spot or Ventana El Ciclon. Both are 5" bikes that do great with clydes and superclydes. You may also want to check out the Pivot 5" bike, which has the great DW link set up to feel firmer and racier than most 5" travel bikes.
Agree, both of those bikes would certainly get the job done and then some. And you cannot beat Ventana's or Turner's customer service.

·
Registered
315 Posts
lightning may strike me down for saying this (because I have been making fun of them for so long)... but, I would go 29er for sure. You are a big guy and it makes sense. I am due for a new bike soon (i am 6'1" 190) and I am going 29er for sure. The Niner full susp with the fox 100mm fork. You'd do fine in demo and it would be XC machine. The Heckler is no XC racing machine... if you are in love with SC then i'd go Blur. Specialized is always good bang for the buck. Maybe the FSR 29er??

my 2 cents, go ride a 29er before you throw down.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Go with the new Santa Cruz BLT2. Little more XC then Heckler...but still able to handle large range of terrain. Also supposedly climbs better then old BLT.

Read a couple of posts of people who have the new BLT2 in the Santa Cruz forum and it will make you want one in a hurry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.