Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feelin the need to get back on a bike. Been like 10 years! I rode BMX from childhood into high school then had a Trek 930 way back in 96. I see this is somewhat a new category (All Mountain), but seems to fit what I'd be interested in. What's the best deal on a bike with a budget of around $800 here? Best value? I'm only 5' 6" & 200lbs. I remember my last bike having a 16.5" frame.

EDIT: I CAN SPEND $1000 ON MY BIKE NOW!

·
Registered
454 Posts
First things first...

For your budget you need to decide whether you want a nicely equiped hard tail or a low end Full Suspension. 800 is generally the entry point for a decent FS rig. All Mountain generally equals FS but what exactly are you going to do with it? How much of each type of riding etc. Some sales should start popping up on 06 stock as the 07 stock should be coming out soon. What brands are carried at the shops in your area? And of course there is the internet purchase route. You take a bit of a gamble on fit and feel going that route but some deals can be had.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to do a lot of trail riding hopefully with some jumps here & there. I don't mind buying online at all. Just lookin to get the most bang for the buck. I was lookin at the Ibex site just now. Looks like a good online company??? Any other recomendations?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Test ride some bikes

I would go to a couple of bike shops and test ride some bikes, then come back for opinions on a few that you like. In the $800 range, your best bet is to buy a hardtail. Unless you find a deal on a leftover '05 full suspension rig, the $800 will be better spent on a hardtail. The exception would be if you wre buying online direct from the manufacturer. Ibex, Woodstock and Kinley are 3 companies that sell directly to the public. If you are willing to take the risk, you can get a bike with a much better component spec for that same $800.00.

I'd answer the questions that LD posed to you and we'll have a better chance of pointing you in the right direction.

Bob

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Hard to say

STREETFIGHTER50 said:
What's the best deals on clearance '05 FS bikes that yall have seen? I'd take that route if much hasn't changed with the newest models.
Deals come and go. You see a post where someone found a great buy on a bike at their LBS. There's a guy in the All Mountain Forum who found a $4000 Scott F/S rig for $1500. Unfortunately these deals are gone. You'll have to do some searching on your own because the deals we read about are no longer available to you.

A good place to start is here:

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6890/.f?sc=13&category=-113

Randall Scott is constantly running good deals on Iron Horse bikes. Keep your eyes on this vendor and soon enough you'll find a bargain. The Warrior Pro is nice for $700.00.

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good used bike ?

I have had good luck on the used front. My kids all sport FS bikes that I found on the
Internet cheap. We currently have the following rigs and what I paid

2003 Jamis Dakar Comp Lx Hayes $800 never riden!
2002 GT I drive LX w/disks $500
2000 Schwinn 4 Banger Xt Hayes $800
2001 Gaint NRS1 Xt Hayes $800
2000 Cannondale Mt3000 Tandem JrT Hayes XTR $2000

I would look for a Jamis XLT2.0 used for myself if my current bike got lost. I bought one of these a couple years ago New and really love it for all mountain work. You would take a medium. A used Kona, KHS, Rockymountain or Santacruz could be a find. The older Heckers and Super lights are some times pretty cheap. A friend got a real nice Santacruz Super light Xtr and Hayes equiped for 1000 last year. A good used machine will have very little wear on the bottom bracket cup and down tube area. An all mountain bike gets whacked in that area so ask for a close picture up of that area to determine how much the bike has been beat upon.

Good luck

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
The differences:

Sinister Pro is a more race oriented bike. The geometry will be different (stretched out over the bars more) less travel on the fork (fork is inferior to the one on the Warrior Pro, IMO), and it has a coil rear shock. The Warrior pro is more of a trail bike (better suited for the XC/AM riding you said you would be doing) so the geometry will have you sitting more upright, it has a better fork with more travel, and has an air shock in the rear. Those are the major differences, IMO and the reason I steered you towards the Warrior rather than the Sinister.

I hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
254 Posts
You will not get a good FS bike from a local bike shop at $800 unless it's an '05 they want to get rid of. You don't want to compromise on an FS: it'll more than likely be heavy, other components will be sacrificed, AND you'll more than likely get the dreaded pedal bob. If you're near LA, Wheel World is clearing out the '05 Giant Reign 3 for $999, which is a tremendous deal. You won't find anything better for that price new, anywhere. I was going to buy it before I found my Scott bike.

You could get away with something like this for full suspension: http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-3-Details.html

Or this for hardtail: http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html

But if you went full suspension, this would do well: http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-COMP-Details.html

The great thing about the Ibex bikes is not only the great value, but they're light bikes. Unless you're doing big jumps and really bombing it down the trail, they'd work out great.

$800 is a really tough price for a full suspension, I think the good ones start at $1000+, but that's new/retail.

Iron Horse does make some nice cheaper bikes. Just be sure to ask about the weight. Some of them can be heavy. You really want to stick to low-mid 30's for all mountain. Anything above that is getting into freeride IMO.

Either that or try and find a good deal on eBay. Like someone said, I just found a new $4000 '05 bike for $1500 on there. Pure luck that no one else bid on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd say go with the warrior pro. I bought my 2006 one about a month ago for about 750 with shipping from preformance. They had a 10% off thing going and the bike was already marked down. I really love the bike. Everything on it is working awesome, and I definitely like the sram drivetrain a lot better than my other shimano ones.

The warrior SE that they have here is a really awesome deal. Everything like the pro except different brakes, better pedals, and a better price. They also have a 10% off deal now too: code 575001.

I would go with this one.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21285&subcategory_ID=3050

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Mjor differences between Pro and SE

kmandevi said:
The warrior SE that they have here is a really awesome deal. Everything like the pro except different brakes, better pedals, and a better price. They also have a 10% off deal now too: code 575001.

Both bikes are very good choices, but you should know that the differences in specs are more than kmandev states.

Pro has Manitou Splice fork and Rock Shox Bar rear shock. The SE has a Rock Shock J3 fork and a Fox Vanilla rear shock. Both the Splice and J series forks are lower end, and neither has a stellar reputation. I don't know about the Rock Shox Bar, but I have personal experience with the Vanilla. While the Vanilla is very basic, I like it. I'd personally give the edge to the J3/Vanilla combination if you are a larger rider, as they are both coil sprung. If you are a lighter rider and want the asdjustability of an air sprung fork and shock, then the Splice/Bar combo works well. The drivetrain on the Pro is Shimano Deore and LX. The SE is SRAM X-7. To me the advantage goes to the SARM drievtrain (I won both and prefer SRAM X.7, but it's a personal preference). Both bikes use Hayes MX 2 discs, contrary to kmandev's assertion that they have different brakes. Both bikes have clipless pedals, and I won't split hairs by comparing the Shimano to Wellgo. They both have different cranks, but I can't speak as to any difference in quality.

In the end, both bikes are great buys. You should know that there are indeed pretty significant differences between the two bikes mentioned before you buy.

Best wishes in finding that right bike.

Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Woops i was comparing all those things to the 2006 warrior pro not the 2005.
I really think you can't go wrong with the warrior SE at that price.
Even if you upgraded to the pro you would be replacing the fork at some point.

The J3 isn't too bad, the reviews are ok on this site and it has a rebound adjust which is very helpful.

If I had $800 to spend i would buy the Warrior SE and save the extra for a better fork, brakes or shoes if you don't have any.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, everyone seems to hate the Manitou Splice. Even my LBS has had a lot of problems with them. so it's not just a matter of a select few going on the Internet to complain.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the responses yall! I'm really diggin the Iron Horse's frame design. That thing just looks really sturdy compared to all of em. I just got to sell a few things so I'm upping my budget to $1000 for my bike. Hopefuilly I can really get into it & loose some weight since I'm only 5' 6" & weigh 200:eek: Please let me know more options now since I have $200 more to spend. Also, what exactly is Free Ride? I see all the FR FS bikes have more travel. Are they specifically for only down hill & jumping? I mean will they be OK for trail riding too?

So thi is probably the best deal?

Really like this Aniki too(frame is so beefy lookin, makin me lean towards Iron Horse), but can it still climb?
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22318&subcategory_ID=3050

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kmandevi said:
I'd say go with the warrior pro. I bought my 2006 one about a month ago for about 750 with shipping from preformance. They had a 10% off thing going and the bike was already marked down. I really love the bike. Everything on it is working awesome, and I definitely like the sram drivetrain a lot better than my other shimano ones.

Just wonderin, is it brown or orange? Says brown on the site, but looks more orange to me (like my Ninja ZX-10R):D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.