Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
nov0798 said:
Dont mean to cross post, but I need an answer.

OK so someone in another thread suggested that I find a recommended bike fitter for the Northern VA area, to fit my mountain bike. Any suggestions?

Original Thread
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=690862
I would be hesitant to pay $150 for a mountain bike fitting.

I got a professional road bike fitting from a Serrota certified guy here in Blacksburg, and it was dead on. I had been messing around with my setup over the years, and he came up with something rather different, and it was a real improvement. He did it as a favor/trade for me, but after seeing how well it worked, I would say it would be worth every penny of the normal $175 price tag if you spend a lot of time on the road bike. The fitting actually took several hours.

However, he came out and said that he is not comfortable doing that sort of fitting for mtb's. There are just too many variables beyond your physical attributes that go into the seat and bar positions, such as your personal riding style/preferences, the type of bike, etc.

IMO, the best thing to do is make sure you have the right sized frame, and from there go with their best guess for bar and stem setup. You will need to tinker with it yourself to find the best setup for you.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kapusta said:
I would be hesitant to pay $150 for a mountain bike fitting.
However, he came out and said that he is not comfortable doing that sort of fitting for mtb's. There are just too many variables beyond your physical attributes that go into the seat and bar positions, such as your personal riding style/preferences, the type of bike, etc.
How would a mountain bike be any different than a road bike? The same variables you listed are the same for both bikes.

·
Recogonize.
106 Posts
somewhat same variables, completely different fit.

if you are buying from a shop they should fit it for you for free. no way would i pay for a fit and then for the bike.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
nov0798 said:
How would a mountain bike be any different than a road bike? The same variables you listed are the same for both bikes.
Well then, pay the $150. It's your money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
nov0798 said:
Well for one a lot of people change their seat height for various types of riding. More down hill have the seat lower, more up hill have the seat higher. There is a reason they have "adjustable" seatposts...

Stem length is another thing that can be based of riding on different terrain, also can be based on just your preference.

Not really worth it IMO to get a mtn bike fitted for $150. Too many other variables come into account for it to be worth it. A lot of having a mtn bike fit "right" is personal preference. Road biking you are going to be in more or less a fixed position, occasionally going into your drops or hammering it for a sprint. With mtn biking you are constantly changing your riding position based on what the trail throws at you.

As JohnByrd said, if you are buying the bike from the shop you should be given a fit for free. Hell, even if you are just looking at bikes and test riding them you should get a quick basic fit to make sure you are looking at the right size. As Kapusta said, find the right size bike and go from there.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
Duff Man said:
Well for one a lot of people change their seat height for various types of riding. More down hill have the seat lower, more up hill have the seat higher. There is a reason they have "adjustable" seatposts...

Stem length is another thing that can be based of riding on different terrain, also can be based on just your preference.

Not really worth it IMO to get a mtn bike fitted for $150. Too many other variables come into account for it to be worth it. A lot of having a mtn bike fit "right" is personal preference. Road biking you are going to be in more or less a fixed position, occasionally going into your drops or hammering it for a sprint. With mtn biking you are constantly changing your riding position based on what the trail throws at you.
Thanks, I was too lazy try to explain this myself.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
JohnByrd said:
if you are buying from a shop they should fit it for you for free. no way would i pay for a fit and then for the bike.
As I said, I would not pay for a professional fitting for a mt bike. However, I would not expect a true professional fitting for free.

I can't say if this is what the Specialized fitting consists of (though it sounds similar), but the the professional Serrota fitting I had done took several hours, and involved some special equipment (the fitting bike, video equipment, and some software) and quite a bit of training. This was not a matter of the guys at the shop having me ride around the lot making tweaks, and asking how if felt. I would NOT expect this to be free with a bike, though perhaps discounted (that is how it works where I had it done). Part of the reason is that once this is done, you use the same numbers for other bikes. You don't get fitted to a particular road bike, you are finding what your optimum fit is, and you use these numbers to set up any road bike (if it is for the same purpose, e.g., racing, touring..). The info that I got from the fitting done was used to change the setup on the bike I had at the time, but I also used it myself to set up my current ride. It also helped me in looking for the best fit in a frame when looking around.

On the other hand, having someone who knows what they are doing spending a some time getting you in to right ballpark (certainly the right sized frame) should be free, and this is all you really need for a mountain bike at first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mt fit

As a professional fitter, I do believe a bike fit is important on all bikes. There is a level of personal preference in all fits, but a good professional fitter will put you in the most optimal position for YOUR FLEXIBILITY, RIDING STYLE, ABILITY, TERRAIN, AND GOALS. If your fitter doesn't check flexibility and ask various questions about terrain, goals and riding style, then move on and find someone who will. Computers are nice fit fitting, but typically cause more problems than good. An experienced fitter is just as accurate as any computer because the points of measure are still placed by humans and will never account for every point observed by the human eye. (Computers just let fitters charge more by boosting credibility)

In general,
-A xc fit will be similar to a road fit with exceptions made for newer riders, more technical terrain, and those not as comfortable with bike handling.
-All mountain and DH fits will be lower and farther back.

I mainly focus on triathlon and road fits but also fit many people on mt bikes (despite only selling tri and road bikes at my store). I competed in Duathlon worlds this year, but also own and ride 3 mountain bikes including a 7" travel free ride bike.

I'm not mentioning the shop I work for to show I'm not out to sell fits, but to show I truly believe they're important.

Adam

·
Registered
2 Posts
store fits

One more thing,

Most stores do not include fits with there bikes. Typically you will get whats called a "sizing" where they adjust the saddle height and make sure the bike size is correct.

A true fit involves moving the saddle up or down, forward or backward, adjusting the tilt of the saddle, changing the stem, and possibly trimming the handlebar down (or adding a larger one).

Good Luck,

Adam

·
Registered
386 Posts
litespeed83 said:
One more thing,

Most stores do not include fits with there bikes. Typically you will get whats called a "sizing" where they adjust the saddle height and make sure the bike size is correct.

A true fit involves moving the saddle up or down, forward or backward, adjusting the tilt of the saddle, changing the stem, and possibly trimming the handlebar down (or adding a larger one).

Good Luck,

Adam
I bought a bike, a Gary Fischer Ferrous from Joe's Bike Shop in Baltimore City. The guy who sold me the bike did what you call a "true fit" and didn't charge me a dime. The sales guy swapped the handlebars for wider ones He said my shoulders are crazy wide. He talked about how the stem that was on the bike didn't need to be changed. The guy also was messing with the seat and post. I see from these posts above why.

That Ferrous is my most comfortable bike to ride on longer rides.. well execept for my a$$ afterwards cause it's hardtail.

Maybe you check that shop out nov.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can give Chris Richardson at Bike Doctor Waldorf a call (3019329980). He is very well know for his fitting services and can offer you a few different price levels for fitting. He has been doing it for a long time and has worked with some of the top pro mountain bike athletes in the mid-atlantic area. He is able to use a video capture software and measure optimal pedaling angles without you having to stop pedaling (the software lets hims pause the video and draw angles then play those angles in slow motion throughout your pedal stroke). Your suspension sag will also be taken into consideration, which can alter your setup a little bit. Just let him know what you want to improve on, and he can cater his fitting methodology to your riding style.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts