Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello NMers - I’m planning a road trip through the 4 corners states from mid March to mid-April. Looks like I’ll be in NM toward the end of March. Planning on hitting Taos and Santa Fe, but nothing is off the table. Would love to know what is rideable that time of year and what trails I shouldn’t miss. I’m from Santa Cruz, CA and I’m in to everything from XC to DH. Thx!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Really hard to say, looks like we are finally getting some winter. But it could all be gone by March.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to predict anything about the weather these days I guess. What would you recommend independent of the weather.m? I’m just trying to figure out where to focus my planning. I’m totally unfamiliar with the area and just looking for an idea of what the locals consider to be the “greatest hits” when it comes to NM MTB trails/areas. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
What trails do you like in Santa Cruz?

UCSC, Nisene Marks, Soquel?

Going to be hard to match those rides here, but at least our trails will be very different from your home trails. What bike are bringing with you?

If you make it down to ABQ I'd push you towards the Sandias and Otero.
For Santa Fe I'd say REM, Atalaya and Winsor
Not very familiar with Taos other than South Boundary and if that is rideable in April we are f***ed

Depending on your route you would be passing by some great riding opportunities that you should look into. St. George, Moab, Durango, Flagstaff, Sedona are all en route.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Gallup is on your route, the High Desert Trail System will be likely good unless it's snowing or raining.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Given that winter is finally doing something, I'd be a little surprised if Rio en Medio are open Windsor. Same with South Boundary. La Tierra, Galileo, and Dale Ball should be better in Santa Fe, but snow is always a possibility. Glorieta miiight be a possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's muddy/closed. ABQ/Gallup is probably a better bet. I'm usually thinking of Moab in mid-March.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. This is all great info.

I ride UCSC the most here in SC because it’s right next to my house. I’ll be bringing my Nomad and possibly my Tues if there’s DH options.

Definitely hitting Sedona, Flagstaff and Moab en route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
We are heading out to Santa Fe on March 17 with the family. We went this time last year and had crazy good weather (like 70 degree weather). We rode La Tierra quite a bit, but I'd love to branch out. I'm assuming that Windsor is too snowy/muddy to ride this time of year again? (It was last year, and there had been less snow and more drying then).

Any other suggestions? Hearing a lot of buzz about Glorietta, and I know some of our Arkansas trailbuilding/riding was up there working with Jagged Axe a month or so ago.

Also, does anyone have any info on the Sunday kids ride that the local IMBA group does? We have a crew of young riders and would love to hook them up with other kids in the area.

·
Registered
691 Posts
We are heading out to Santa Fe on March 17 with the family. We went this time last year and had crazy good weather (like 70 degree weather). We rode La Tierra quite a bit, but I'd love to branch out. I'm assuming that Windsor is too snowy/muddy to ride this time of year again? (It was last year, and there had been less snow and more drying then).

Any other suggestions? Hearing a lot of buzz about Glorietta, and I know some of our Arkansas trailbuilding/riding was up there working with Jagged Axe a month or so ago.

Also, does anyone have any info on the Sunday kids ride that the local IMBA group does? We have a crew of young riders and would love to hook them up with other kids in the area.
As you make mention, weather can be great! OR you could get snowed on. Hard to say.

With that said, current conditions on the upper mountain are a no-go. The best you'll do (and still a great ride) is to check out the Chamisa/Sidewinder/Juan loop and possibly explore the Burn trail. Likewise, any major loop in Dale Ball is quite good riding and should be good to go.

Glorieta has a mix of XC to very technical/fast trails. If they're up for it, they are great riding.

The kids rides are open to the public as long as they sign the insurance waiver. I'd imagine they would love to have a group to share a ride with.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you want to take a drive to Abq, our forest are pretty dry below 8k'. I rode all over Otero yesterday, and there is very little moisture to speak of.
Speaking of ABQ, is North Valley worth visiting with more to offer than La Tierra? My son is pretty into bike parks and has both a BMX and a MTB, so he's pushing to hit up North Valley.

Also: we thought it might be kind of fun to take the RailRunner down from Santa Fe with our bikes then hit up North Valley. Not sure if that's feasible or not as i haven't really looked into logistics of riding around or using public transit to ferry our bikes (if it's too far from RailRunner station).

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's been a while, but I don't think our bike park can hold a candle to La Tierra. Those folks are a very dedicated bunch from what I understand. If you add that La Tierra was all hand built by the people who ride it, well that is an even bigger clue. The North Valley Bike Park was designed and built by a contractor, so it's probably a little more beginner friendly if that is what you are looking for.
We loved La Tierra. Hustle and Flow is absolutely awesome. When we were at La Tierra last year, a lot of the jump lines in the "park" area were covered, so it wasn't really rideable. My son is into BMX/DJ stuff, so he's wanting to hit somewhere that he can session some jumps, and it looks like North Valley might have that from the pics, if it's open.

I will say that La Tierra is a stinking maze. My son and I were riding, and my wife and older son were both hiking. I ducked out to ride some longer trail and my younger was supposed to stay with the hikers on his bike. He ended up getting ahead of them and missing a turnoff back to the trailhead. I then caught up with the hikers to find that he was nowhere in sight. He ended up lost for almost an hour. Sherriff's office came. They were about to launch a helicopter when I found him.

It's not a really big area and not that remote, so I wan't panicking too badly... but a 9 year old learned a very valuable lesson about trailforks and staying with the adults that day.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you like La Tierra, also try the Galisteo Basin Preserve.

Similar sort of desert riding, but much nicer vistas and general area. Really feel remote with good signage and a few technical obstacles.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm guessing he meant that the jump lines had carpet on them. That's there to prevent massive erosion during snow/monsoon events.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah, there was carpet, but it also seems like there was visqueen or tarps as well (which is what our local DJ park puts on their jumps during rainy season when the park is closed), but maybe I'm misremembering. We rode a couple of lines in that area, but a lot of it looked like it wasn't really meant to be ridden if I recall correctly.

I just assumed it was "wet" season, and it wasn't really supposed to be ridden at that time (which is why I was asking about the park in ABQ).

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just wanted to jump in as my buddy and I were planning on driving down to NM for a few days at the end of March as well. So far I have gathered that is is all weather dependent, but will Glorieta most likely be open? And can anyone tell me the best way to ride/get access? I emailed the church camp and haven't heard back from them.

What will have better riding at that time SF or ABQ? Or will both be ok and we should hit up both?

Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just wanted to jump in as my buddy and I were planning on driving down to NM for a few days at the end of March as well. So far I have gathered that is is all weather dependent, but will Glorieta most likely be open? And can anyone tell me the best way to ride/get access? I emailed the church camp and haven't heard back from them.

What will have better riding at that time SF or ABQ? Or will both be ok and we should hit up both?

Thanks for the info!!!
On Saturdays they usually have someone at the the gate and you can go in, otherwise use the new 'bypass' trail that gives you acccess. Download trailforks, everything is up to date both in Santa fe and Glorieta Camps.

GC is proper good trails and the stuff around Santa Fe (Dale Ball South, Upper Mountain) is all great as well. Right now I'd say you have a solid chance that all but the highest elevation stuff should be open.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Did you all stay dry? From what I can tell on Accuweather it looks like ABQ is going to stay dry. I don't know how that translates into the trails and mountains.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
519 Posts
We've arrived, and the weather is glorious today. I started driving at 2am and we got here at 1pm. Stopped at grocery then immediately hit La Tierra (10 minute drive from our AirBNB on Canyon Road). Youngest and I did about 10 runs in a slopestyle area right by Frijoles parking lot while wife and eldest had lunch. So much fun!

Looks like weather turns tomorrow and Monday, but the rest of the week looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
We've arrived, and the weather is glorious today. I started driving at 2am and we got here at 1pm. Stopped at grocery then immediately hit La Tierra (10 minute drive from our AirBNB on Canyon Road). Youngest and I did about 10 runs in a slopestyle area right by Frijoles parking lot while wife and eldest had lunch. So much fun!

Looks like weather turns tomorrow and Monday, but the rest of the week looks awesome.
Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 7.22.29 AM.jpg

Trail conditions on the Winsor are still variable. Pack ice on the river crossings down low and snow packed and/or muddy in places up higher. But, it not bad. I recommend riding from Tesuque up to the Borrego down the Bear Wallow and back out the Winsor. I am not sure of the conditions above Borrego and below Big Tesuque on the Winsor/Dead Deer. Might be snowy and muddy in spots up there. I avoid places known for being muddy at this time of the year as its not good for the trail to ride them.

Chamisa/the Juan/Sidewinder is riding great. Careful of the cars driving up the ski basin road on this loop.

All the Dale Ball stuff is good to go. Atalaya up the face is good with one or two spots in the shade that are a little mucky. Atalaya via Picachio is good to go with the last section going up Atalaya on the east slope having a little junkiness, but not too bad. Secret Agent, which includes a good bit of this on the front end, is good to go. There are a couple of smushy spots on SA, but its ready for you.

I haven't ridden anything near Rio en Medio/Discount/Double Discount/Jawbone for months so I have no idea what these conditions are like.

Glorieta Camps is in great condition. Only problem out there is that it can be a little challenging to find the great trails if you don't know the place.

I don't know what Los Alamos is riding like right now, but they are lower elevation (less snow) so it could be good. Reports from ABQ sound good too.

Download Trailforks onto you phone and that way you will know exactly where you are for all the great rides around here. Even Glorieta Camps are on it.

Welcome to town and have fun! See you on the trails (when I pass you! haha!!)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts