Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden Bent Creek a few times and I have the NG Map of the Pisgah Area. I was wondering what "routes" are the best to ride and what not. I would like more Singletrack and less forest roads. Also, where is 5 Points and what is the best way to include the "NEW" trail in a ride? I am an intermediate rider by the way. Thanks guys!

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
The most direct route to 5 Points is North Boundry 485. It's a long old road bed and a steady climb. The continued climb to Green's Lick is still passable. You might have a some poison ivy contact, but I imagine there isn't much residue on those leaves and you can rinse with creek water at the bottom of the trail.

Sidehill 137A (the upper portion) has a new entry and is rerouted along a ridge. I have run into two people this week who thought it was closed and were coming back down the road. Just go another 20 feet and you'll see the sign. Woohoo - more climbing! The center section is basically unchanged and the bottom has a fun snakey switchback section now. Well worth a trip up 479. Come back up 479 and catch Upper Explorer Loop 337A to Pine Tree 336 - take a break at the lake and plan from there.

These were the trails I had time to take today with a visitor and we had a great time..

Keep in mind that they've been doing alot of work hurrican repairs in BC - so basically, there isn't much single track at this time. It'll come back...

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Gaffney10 said:
I have ridden Bent Creek a few times and I have the NG Map of the Pisgah Area. I was wondering what "routes" are the best to ride and what not. I would like more Singletrack and less forest roads. Also, where is 5 Points and what is the best way to include the "NEW" trail in a ride? I am an intermediate rider by the way. Thanks guys!
Wolf Branch, Ingles Field Gap to five corners, 485 to Greens Lick (new trail). That'll get you the most single track up to the new trail unless you get really creative and basically do a loop before hand.

Also if you have a good tail light and small halogen (you pass through 3 tunnels) you can climb up Bent Creek Road and get to Trace Ridge from the Parkway, from there you can go anywhere in the Pisgah Ranger District. Don't think the map will always be right though... a guide is better and I've learned that the hard way twice now! ;)

It depends on what you think of when you think "best trails" I guess. I really like the older singletrack that's still there but the new fast stuff is really growing on me too. IMO the best legal trails at BC are Sidehill, Lower Sidehill, Ingles Field Gap, Pine Tree, and Explorer... oh I think I just named more than half the trails there! lol... oh and Little Hickory Top is a must too! Basically I love all the northern trails because they're a little more technical and there's a lot more elevation gain. The southern trails are all really fast and fun though. I just love BC as a whole though there's so many great trails there you could ride there forever and still pick a new route. You've got the map, so now just get creative!

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Beware of BEAR. I have spotted a bear twice in the last two weeks in the same place. The cuddly forest creature was spotted on that unchanged center section of section sidehill 137A that MUM is referring to.. The first time, I was in a group and we scared him up into the woods. The second time (yesterday) I was solo and came around the corner and he was about 10' from me. He bounded down the trail to a more respectful distance and peek at me from behind a tree. I just turned around and went back the way I came. It was a black bear, about the size of a very very big dog. I don't think it would attack but you never know.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Maida7 said:
Beware of BEAR. I have spotted a bear twice in the last two weeks in the same place. The cuddly forest creature was spotted on that unchanged center section of section sidehill 137A that MUM is referring to.. The first time, I was in a group and we scared him up into the woods. The second time (yesterday) I was solo and came around the corner and he was about 10' from me. He bounded down the trail to a more respectful distance and peek at me from behind a tree. I just turned around and went back the way I came. It was a black bear, about the size of a very very big dog. I don't think it would attack but you never know.
That's cool! I saw a bear cub a couple years ago in upstate NY no more than 3 miles from the downtown area. I did decide to travel in the opposite direction however as I didn't want to meet his mother! I'm more concerned about seeing a big cat - how common are cougars here?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
plume said:
That's cool! I saw a bear cub a couple years ago in upstate NY no more than 3 miles from the downtown area. I did decide to travel in the opposite direction however as I didn't want to meet his mother! I'm more concerned about seeing a big cat - how common are cougars here?
I have seen bears numerous times at Bent Creek, mostly on Wolf Branch. The only mountain lion I've seen was on Yellow Gap Rd. in North Mills River. MF'er ran right out in front of the truck. It was a pretty amazing sight, jumped right off the bank hauling a$$ and ran off back into the woods.:eek: As far as what trails are good in Bent Creek, I think that they all are pretty good, some better than others.

·
XC Champion
289 Posts
If you ever want to go ride Green's Lick let me know and I'll be glad to show you the way. I usually ride it (pathetically mostly solo) about once a week or so. It's a great 9 mile loop...usually takes about an hour and a half for intermediate.

·
XC Champion
289 Posts
aawww man...

It's too bad I didn't see this last night or this morning because I rode Green's Lick solo again today. This time I accidentally left my headphones at home as well so I was pretty depressing :madman: . Oh well...maybe some other time?

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Not sure if the original notice was posted elsewhere, but here's a followup:

CORRECTION!
Due to the holiday, the contractor has informed us that he will begin work on Wed, July 5th. The repair is expected to be complete and this segment of South Ridge Road reopened by Friday AM.

All,
The Forest Service will be repairing a slide on South Ridge Road near the intersection with Hardtimes Road. This work requires closing a portion of the road for 2-3 days beginning Monday, July 3rd. As shown on the attached map, South Ridge Road (479M) will be closed between Deerfield Connector (Trail 335A) and Hardtimes Road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.