Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

OK I know this comes up frequently but times changes, 2011 products get testet and so on.

So I'm planning my first AM build for foreign adventures (I live in flat Denmark) and I really don't want to go wrong.
I have a really good offer on hand with a Norco Range 1 2011 and I thought this was the to go but I have an urge to build a different and personal bike. The Norco isn't forgotten, but it's put on the sideline as a go to 'if other fails'.

I'm primarily looking for frame advice and I need:
Roomy toptube
1.5 or tapered headtube
Some kind of thru axel rear
Slack HA and steep-ish ST

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Nicolai Helius AM.... Cant go wrong, decends like a weapon..... And if a 29er floats your boat, go with a Helius AM29er...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whafe said:
Nicolai Helius AM.... Cant go wrong, decends like a weapon..... And if a 29er floats your boat, go with a Helius AM29er...
Yeah. Super cool frame.

I'm rocking 29'ers for XC racing but I don't feel there's enough options in AM parts just yet.

I'll have an ekstra look on the Helius.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The Norco is a good bike. But I'm curious why you need a 160mm bike if it's mostly flat where you live? I ride my AM bike like it's a mini-DH rig and use it for some freeride too. Do you really need, better yet, are you really going to use all 150 - 160mm of travel? Mostly flat terrain + slack head angle do not compute for me...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Haus Boss said:
The Norco is a good bike. But I'm curious why you need a 160mm bike if it's mostly flat where you live? I ride my AM bike like it's a mini-DH rig and use it for some freeride too. Do you really need, better yet, are you really going to use all 150 - 160mm of travel? Mostly flat terrain + slack head angle do not compute for me...
The OP wants to travel beyond Denmark.

Consider the new Rocky Mountain Slayer?

Then there's the Giant Reign X

And of course the Specialized Enduro.

Santa Cruz Nomad

As you can see there are a ton of choices, you can't really go wrong with either one, do your research, test ride a few and find out what you like the best.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Haus Boss said:
But I'm curious why you need a 160mm bike if it's mostly flat where you live? .
Drea said:
So I'm planning my first AM build for foreign adventures
Drea said:
I'm primarily looking for frame advice and I need:
Roomy toptube
1.5 or tapered headtube
Some kind of thru axel rear
Slack HA and steep-ish ST

+1 for the Nicolai Helius AM, in its own right its a fantastic bike,

with the added benefit in that you can custom build it to your exact spec and they will actively engage with you to ensure it is spot on

Head over to the Nicolai forum, the AM thread and Slack Head Angle thread are currently being posted in.

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
You might want to consider the Cannondale Jekyll or the Claymore. I have the Jekyll and am loving the dual personality of the shock it is really what I felt has been missing in all mountain bikes of the past. A bike that climbs like a goat, but descends with easy and floats over rocks.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,190 Posts
add the Knolly Chilcotin to your list.
Checks all the boxes and has an adjustable headangle.

michael

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I still wish we had a little more information to make some solid recommendations other than the Specialized Enduro is a great bike!

Anyways, here's my weekly input since this question comes up at least this often on the board.

If money is not an issue and you want a bike with build quality second to none:

Knolly Chilcotin - hands down.

If you're looking for an aggressive AM bike that will handle the rigors of DH, some freeride, and park riding, try these:

Banshee Rune
Santa Cruz Nomad
Rocky Mountain Slayer
Turner RFX (if can wait...)
(I would have added more but some of those other manufacturers don't have the best record when it comes to build quality and broken frames- not naming names right now!)

And here are some more recommendations for good all around AM-trail bikes:
Santa Cruz Butcher
Santa Cruz Blur LT
Norco Range
Specialized Enduro
Giant Reign
Yeti 575

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
My first choice is the Nicolai Helius AM, then followed oh so close by Knolly DT or Chilcotin..

If I didnt ride Nicolai's I would be all over Noels Knolly's like flies on a *****....

·
Registered
750 Posts
2011 reign x or reign if you want it more pedal friendly, specialized enduro evo, ibis mojo hd, pivot firebird, turner rfx, bang for the buck 6" frame mythic/banshee rune with 1.5 degree angle set and 160mm fox float rp2 fit. There are lot's of other great bikes out there, the one I listed are the ones that come to mind.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts