Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a set of BB7's, generic cable/housing, SD7 levers; pretty basic set up but really no complaints at all. It's now time for new pads and I felt like the stock pads wore pretty quickly and power quickly diminished drastically ONLY when the pads got pretty low. I'm using some Hayes I think V-cut rotors, 160mm, I still have the roundagons rotors too.

What was your 2nd set of pads you bought, and what rotors do you prefer using with them?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
rob.char said:
Well, I have a set of BB7's, generic cable/housing, SD7 levers; pretty basic set up but really no complaints at all. It's now time for new pads and I felt like the stock pads wore pretty quickly and power quickly diminished drastically ONLY when the pads got pretty low. I'm using some Hayes I think V-cut rotors, 160mm, I still have the roundagons rotors too.

What was your 2nd set of pads you bought, and what rotors do you prefer using with them?
How quickly did they wear? I usually get a season to a season and a half out of the Avid sintered pads (coupled with Alligator rotors in sizes of 140/160/180mm).

I also went through one set of brand new pads within 30 minutes in a rain infested torrential downpour, mud infested race. Actually, the race got called after the first lap as everyone lost their brakes. That's the only time that happened to me.

BB

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I got a solid season out of them but I can't even start next season with them. Braking power has drastically diminished once they've worn. I was looking at the EBC pads. Which ones are you running the red or green ones. Right now the v cut rotors were running pretty well in my opinion.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've been using the avid sintered pads, to me they're the best compromise of power, fade resistence, noise, modulation, and longevity. However, when it's wet out I like to use the organics as they really cut down on the noise, but they're life-span is very short when mud enters the picture. I've used EBC green and gold, avid organics, and the avid sintered, all on the standard roundagon rotor.

The roundagon rotor is OK, but it gets choppy from time to time.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
rob.char said:
I guess I got a solid season out of them but I can't even start next season with them. Braking power has drastically diminished once they've worn. I was looking at the EBC pads. Which ones are you running the red or green ones. Right now the v cut rotors were running pretty well in my opinion.
Getting a full season out of a pair of pads is not bad at all. In fact, it's good considering some guys due to their riding conditions or type of riding go through a set of pads every month. Installing new brake pads every now and then is simply part of regular maintenance/ownership. Be it every month. Every few months. Every year, etc... . Read this and look at the paragraphs on brake pad wear labeled "Padding Performance".

The Avid sintered pads are very good and the EBC Gold pads are as well.

The red and greens from EBC are the organics.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I've found the stock Avid pads to be the best......had some aftermarket ones and they squealed badly.
The new Avid G3 rotors seem to be an improvement too. A swap from 2's to 3's on ultimates got me some more power.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
reviving an old thread for new info: I was considering replacing my trusty BB7s with hyrdos and decided not to. What new pads and rotors are available now that might work well?

pads-
Swiss Stop
Jagwire Pro Mnt
Avid (duh)

rotors: i have a 185mm front now, do i need to keep a 185mm, or can I use a more common 180mm front rotor? i can't seem to find many rotors marked 185mm. what's
a reasonably priced, kinda light rotor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just upgraded my front brake from the BB5's to the BB7's and have had issues with squealing. Could this be that they need to be broken in more. I went for a ride today and they would get quite once I did some heavy braking. It seemed that getting some heat into the rotors/pads would quite them up. Should I give it more time or try different pads? Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
The Alligator Windcutters have a nice tall brake track and they are probably the best value. They are light and cheap. They tend to make less noise with organic pads, but sintered pads will last longer. I prefer organic pads in my desert area and I found the Avid organic and EBC green (organic) pads to be about equal, but the EBC pad material looks like it is a little thicker. The EBC green pads last a little longer for me. Plus, the EBC pads are cheaper.

Another good rotor for the BB7's is the Avid Cleansweep X, if you are not worried about stepping up the price. This rotor doesn't have a very tall brake track and it is designed for a smaller pad, but it worked really well for me when I ran BB7's. The Cleansweep X is about equal to the Windcutter in terms of weight. I found the Avid roundagon rotor to be the worst of all the rotors that I tried. They never got close to quiet for me.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
EBC Golds are so much better than the stock Avid pads in every single way. Harder biting, stronger overall, last longer, make about the same amount of noise.

Work great on every rotor I've had them on and cant really tell the difference between rotors except for which ones stay true longer. Avid Roundagons go out of true within the first few rides, Shimano rotors seem to stay true for a really long time, as do the Pyramid rotors on my gfs bike. Also work well with Magura Storm SLs - a really underrated lightweight affordable rotor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.