Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Evil Following V1 frame that creaks from BB area. I heard this could be a problem with the press fit BB. I currently use the Hope cranket that has a 30mm spindle. What is the best BB choice for me ? (BB is PF92 integrated.)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are you currently using a Hope BB? Sucks if thats the case, as theyre supposed to be excellent.
I'd go wheels manufacturing as well.
Ive also used e.13 and they're quite good as well...actually is what my friend has on his Kona Process111 which is a PF92

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wheels does have a PF92. Its on a different page (or at least it was when i had a Kona Process). Their site is a tad confusing to navigate for some items...

·
since 4/10/2009
34,623 Posts
bb naming is confusing AF, but there's no "PF92" spec.

It's referred to as "BB92" or "PF41" with the 92 referring to the width (92mm) and 41 referring to the diameter (41mm) of the bb shell.

I use the enduro variant of the bb92/30 bb (or 4130). same bb as what wheels sells.

https://www.endurobearingsonline.co...ntain-bike-bottom-brackets/products/bb86-4130

I'll bet the bb is not what's creaking, though. chances are it's the seat/seatpost/seatpost clamp area that needs to be cleaned. This is the source of probably 99% of creaking noises on my bikes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Id agree about the seatpost.
Other thing id check is the preload on your crank. My buddy had creaking from his e.13 and it was because the preload collar had loosened some and would creak under load.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took the cranks off and the L side of the BB fell out of the frame. The frame is an Evil following and supposed to be press fit? I put grease on it and inside BB area and it stopped creaking for a few rides. I assume it is coming from that area.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^NG. If the shell is that loose it will only get looser. I would put a screw together BB (Wheels etc.) in with Loctite retaining compound. Even that needs to go in with at least a little friction. You can leave the new BB shell in and replace only the cartridge bearings in the future. On a few occasions when the frame was really fretted and the BB totally loose I've expoxied in the screw together BB.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I took the cranks off and the L side of the BB fell out of the frame. The frame is an Evil following and supposed to be press fit? I put grease on it and inside BB area and it stopped creaking for a few rides. I assume it is coming from that area.
Your options are kind of limited. I don't think anyone makes a PF92 screw together BB for 30mm spindles. BBinfinite makes this single press in unit but not sure it will help if frame is already loose. Maybe worth a call to them to discuss. https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb9292mm-for-30mm-spindles

Another solution is to get a different crank with 24mm spindle then you could use a screw together BB and permaset it in place as Lone Ranger described. I just built a bike with PF92 and purposely used an older XX1 GXP crank so I could use the screw together BB and never have to worry about having an issue.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When you say fell out, you mean it just popped rught out with no resistance? Or that it came out easily? Reason i ask is that if it truly just fell out without any effort, then it means that more than likely the section of the frame that the BB presses into is buggered...from one of 2 things:
1) could be from incorrect BB shell install...some people will not ensure proper alignment and just power that sucker right in, causing damage to the frame shell in the process. If this is the case, I'd speak to whomever installed crank (be it LBS or other)
Or
2) it was buggered from the factory, in which case I'd contact Evil and see about a warranty repair.
In no way should a PF BB just flop out. That sucks.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,216 Posts
There is no silver bullet IME, I’m on vacation now with my bb92 bike with the hope BB, working great. A few weeks ago one of my threaded BB bikes started creaking horribly, took the BB out and there was a lot of dirt in there. Cleaned interfaces and retorqued and back to being silent.

As others are saying, a bb falling out like that is a frame issue. You could theoretically try to use epoxy, but that will lock it in there forever obviously. You could try finding a bearing with a slightly bigger OD, again, theoretically that is possible. Look into bearings and what the numbers mean and you can find a huge range online on amazon and eBay. None of my press-in BBS have ever done anything similar to that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.