Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new wheelset. 32-36h, 135mm rear x 10mm qr axle, 20mm front, wide enough to run a 2.5 and burly enough for freeride.

What would be my best bang for the buck? I'd like a compromise between light weight and strength (yeah, who doesn't :rolleyes: ). In other words, I don't want another AtomLab DHR, that thing weighs a ton.

I'm not opposed to building my own either if that would save money and allow more options.

I've never really shopped for wheels before I've always just got whatever was available or settled with the Transition wheelset; but those can be a bit heavy too.

Lets keep it under 375$ please

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
FlippinSweet said:
I'm looking for a new wheelset. 32-36h, 135mm rear x 10mm qr axle, 20mm front, wide enough to run a 2.5 and burly enough for freeride.

What would be my best bang for the buck? I'd like a compromise between light weight and strength (yeah, who doesn't :rolleyes: ). In other words, I don't want another AtomLab DHR, that thing weighs a ton.

I'm not opposed to building my own either if that would save money and allow more options.

I've never really shopped for wheels before I've always just got whatever was available or settled with the Transition wheelset; but those can be a bit heavy too.

Lets keep it under 375$ please
Pre-builts are usually a better value but you may not be able to get exactly what you want.

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse allows some customization and still holds the price below what you could build yourself.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,333 Posts
Shiggy's dead on. Bang for the buck wise, it'll be very hard to beat a place like BWW if they have what you want.
However, you can get a set of Hope Pro II's at CRC for ~$235 (free shipping), Sapim Race spokes & brass nips from Dan's Comp for $0.40 a piece, and a pair of Sun MTX33s for $~80. That'll put you you at ~$340 (+ shipping for the spokes and rims) for a bombproof wheelset at ~2000g.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts