Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really close to ordering up some stans crest wheels.

I race xc and ride alot of rocky rooted trails so im looking for a lightweight wheels set but not to weak. Not sure on the weight difference from crest hoops to arch, and if there is any strength difference.

I weigh 175 with out gear. Im a fairly light rider but there have been a few bumpps and rocks ive hit hard.

Bike has inferno 25 on it now and there ok but i read there not great for tubless with the tires I want to run (racing ralphs).

Any athoer wheels I should look in to. Looking around the 500 to 600 range

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Im really close to ordering up some stans crest wheels.

I race xc and ride alot of rocky rooted trails so im looking for a lightweight wheels set but not to weak. Not sure on the weight difference from crest hoops to arch, and if there is any strength difference.

I weigh 175 with out gear. Im a fairly light rider but there have been a few bumpps and rocks ive hit hard.

Bike has inferno 25 on it now and there ok but i read there not great for tubless with the tires I want to run (racing ralphs).

Any athoer wheels I should look in to. Looking around the 500 to 600 range
I dunno... I say avoid the Crest rims. I second the Sun Inferno rims. I got an Inferno 23 29er rim, and it laced up nice and stiff... and feels way stiffer than the Crest rim I had on there. I was too heavy for it, but it really wasy super flexy. The Inferno23 is 465g, which is pretty respectable. I mean, 80g heavier than the Crest, but it is nice and stiff.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have inferno 25 stock on the bike. Im airing them up tubless now. Not sure how its going to work but ive heard the infernos are not that great tubless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could keep the spokes (assuming erd is similar), swap out the rear hub, and buy new rims to keep the cost lower and have a decent wheel. The lefty hub (ESP if you have the sl) is pretty decent to reuse if possible. People seem to be having good experiences with the Chinese carbon hoops, which are ~300.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I ride to work daily and dont want to run on good tires. So having a good wheel set for racing makes sence. Easy to swap out. If the inferno holds up tubless i would just grab a rear hub ( the stock formula is horrid) and have it laced up and keep the stock ones for daily.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the Inferno does well tubeless with a Bontrager rim strip. They are like $10 at any Trek dealer. I guess you just need to figure out the one with the correct width. Bonty rim strips also come symmetrical or asymmetrical (for OSB rims, like Mustangs). So you want the symmetrical one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was running Inferno 25s tubeless with Rapid Robs on my Lefty Flash Alloy 1. No issues at all. Setting up tubeless was a breeze....especially vs the Stans Arch with Racing Ralphs I switched to. Those were a nightmare setting up, I think b/c of the thin walls on the Racing Ralphs. I wanted a lighter wheelset and faster tires so I went with Stans Arch rims with Racing Ralphs in place. Great wheelset, but the Inferno 25s with Rapid Robs are sticking around just incase I need them again, no issues at all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm 190 and have been running Crest rims with RR's for about a year with no issues. I built these wheels with Sapim CX Ray aero spokes which claim to be stronger than similar weight round spokes. They are holding up very well running roots, rock gardens and logs no problem.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the Inferno does well tubeless with a Bontrager rim strip. They are like $10 at any Trek dealer. I guess you just need to figure out the one with the correct width. Bonty rim strips also come symmetrical or asymmetrical (for OSB rims, like Mustangs). So you want the symmetrical one.
The internal shape is all wrong for the Bontrager rim strips. The Inferno does better than the Equalizer it replaced for tubeless, but it still is not a rim designed to be tubeless. I have successfully converted an Inferno 27 with Gorilla Tape and 2Bliss tires. Haven't tried with standard tires, probably won't since that combination would have the worst odds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
advice please... i'm a bit new to the tubeless world
have a 29er lefty. stock wheels are inferno 25 with racing ralphs set up tubeless by lbs. i have read the threads and seen multiple references to the infernos not doing well tubeless (exploding off the rim) or not even being a tubeless rim (is this confirmed on their site anywhere?) i asked my lbs about this issue i had read about when i bought the bike. the guy assured me it worked well and there would be no issues. he said the issues others talked about on the forum were because that shop must have set them up improperly. as it's a very reputable shop in phx so i trusted what he said. since then in 2 weeks my front tire has bursted off the rim 2x. the first time i was just back from a ride and had 35 psi. loud pop, stan's everywhere. the second time was today while riding. thankfully going slowly at the time on flat dirt at 32 psi. again loud pop and stan's everywhere followed by a few mile walk home. i called my lbs and the same guy that assured me this would never happen answered. i explained the bursting off 2x and he said it must be a defective tire which they will warranty. that's all well and good but i have very little trust in him or the set up. (on a side note... the the kicker is he says they are too busy to take care of it today and i will have to wait till monday. kinda irked me as it's happened 2x in 2 weeks after his personal assurance it would be a good set up and it takes all of 5 min for them to put a tire on. so much for customer service, apparently spending 3700 in their store doesn't mean much afterwards) so what am i to do? different wheel set? which one? different tires? any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to update. Running tubless on the infernos. Not a problem to be had.

Running gorilla tape on front wheel with snake skin ralph, stans strip on rear with fastrak lk 2 bliss. Been working great. Run about 25psi front and 28psi rear. Hope to pick up a hadley hub this winter to get rid of this formula hub.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts