Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a XC rider and I am looking for the best baggy shorts with padding. I would like shorts that are comfortable and that look half way decent. I have been looking at the Fox High Frequency and Mid Ranger as well as other models from Zoic and Nema to name a few. Also, if you happen to know where the best deals are for the clothing that would help...I wear a size 36 so I guess they would be Large...Thanks!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oakley

I really like the Oakley shorts. I know your asking why a sunglass company, but whoever they have making them for them they are doing a great job. I have their mid-level short and their top of line and like em both, top of line has a little better pad though. Next I would pick Pearl I have had theirs going on 3 years now great short just a little to short in the legs. I had some Nemas for a 6 month period but hated them-no support, felt like I was wearing a basketball short. Sent em back to the company with a letter and never heard anything from them again. I have tried on the Fox HF short you list and like them too, they will be my next pair. I found all mine on the clearnce rack at SuperGo, do some searching and you will find a deal. V

·
Registered
175 Posts
Second Oakley

I have a Oakley Ballistic shorts, and they are far better than any other bike shorts, IMO. I tried NEMA's Searcher and CJ for a year but didn't like them at all due to their weird padding. I have a Fox HF and MR, and I like them both, but again my Oakley shorts are more comportable than any othe bike shorts I've had.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
I suspect people will tell you that it is crazy to spend large amounts of money on baggy bike shorts. They will tell you to get cheap board shorts at Target .... blah, blah, blah. If you are willing to spend the money, I say the best damn shorts I ever used are the Oakley 2.1 (?) and the Pearl Izumi Canyon. I have also tried Nema, Zoic and Azonic. The Canyons are baggy and long, but light. I love the comfort. Some people hate the chamois design.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Gaffney10 said:
I am a XC rider and I am looking for the best baggy shorts with padding. I would like shorts that are comfortable and that look half way decent. I have been looking at the Fox High Frequency and Mid Ranger as well as other models from Zoic and Nema to name a few. Also, if you happen to know where the best deals are for the clothing that would help...I wear a size 36 so I guess they would be Large...Thanks!!
second, or third, on the pearl.......expensive but I have had mine
for over 2 years and they are just now starting to show
their age...

good to know about the oakley, though.

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
IMO, Fox is overated. Not saying they are bad shorts but for the price, there are a lot better shorts. Fox is selling their name. Haven't tried Oakleys but they sem popular on this thread.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sugoi Gusto

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Sugoi Gusto. Not cheap, but the most comfortable inner short padding I've ever seen. Definitely better than the rest mentioned so far.

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
My vote goes to...

http://www.endurasport.com/mt500-baggy.html . Try a pair and let us know what you think. I agree that Fox clothing is over-rated and they're selling the name, but IMHO, Oakley's even worse.
- Joe

AsianPersuasion said:
IMO, Fox is overated. Not saying they are bad shorts but for the price, there are a lot better shorts. Fox is selling their name. Haven't tried Oakleys but they sem popular on this thread.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
None

I've tried nearly every type of baggy short there is. Of all of them that I've tried, Oakely are the best. But I still don't like them.

If I'm riding in baggy shorts, it's usually a pair of lycra bibs with a pair of shorts over the top of them. This is a much better approach, IMO.

Ken

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Both pair of my Fox High Frequencies have outlasted my Oakleys by over a year. Yeah they are pricy, but not to the extent that Oakleys are, and the Fox Chamois lasts longer. I have also tried Nema, and they are OK, but I always end up cutting out the liner, and wearing them with lycra instead. The Nema's just feel like you're wearing a diaper around.

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
Rei

If you have a REI near you id check out their baggies. They have 2 price points, like ~50 and ~70. I have a pair of the $50 from last year and they are nice, have held up really well. Just got the $70 pair, called the Epic. These things are great, chamois is comfy, liner contains but dosnt squish, Very well made.
Ive never tryed oakley, dont think anyone in the area caries them. But i think the rei stuff is worth a look. Plus they have some pearl and other companies too.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Oakley

I've had a lot of problems in that area and I've tried many brands. I thought Fox were great until I stumbled upon some Oakleys. They are the most comfortable shorts I've found. However, mine close via old fashioned snap buttons and they don't stay closed. So go for a pair that don't use the snaps.

·
Don't touch me!
839 Posts
I'll second that.

I've bought Nema. Fox, and Oakley shells and use bibshorts or regular lycra shorts underneath. I think this is the best approach because the liner and the shell fit independent of each other (duh). A little more expensive in the short term, but you get as nice as a chamois that you want (or are willing to pay for), with any shell that you want. It the shell gets tugged or migrates, your a$$ is covered. Also there is no bunchy diaper sensation. And if you ever want to get all roadie, your bases are covered.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Just bought a new pair of Nema Crown Jewels in Moab this last week, hoping it was better than the last pair I got in 03....these things must be made for the fat downhiller types now...way too big and fits like a diaper as far as the chamois goes...really disappointing as I had hoped they had mended their ways back to the Crown Jewel model of a couple of years ago, but no...but I guess they go where the money is...probably SoCal boys who don't ride uphill much.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Oakley - by far. In fact I haven't worn anything else since I got my first pair about 3 years ago. They are not that expensive if you search for them online - I wouldn't dream of buying them at full price from a shop (though I do buy other stuff at the LBS). The last pair of 2.1s I recieved (for V-day, what a chick...) set my S/O back a mere $42.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.