Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a decent backpack instead of panniers on a rear rack for commuting. I want it to carry my dress clothes and work supplies. It should also be decent enough to take to a meeting. Does anyone have experience with these (or other suggestion)?

1.) Chrome: Welded Rucksack
Welded Rusack Backpack | Waterproof Backpack | Chrome Industries
13.5” wide, 18.5” high, 4.8” deep

2.) SealLine: Urban Backpack
****************1nL2P2E
15 x 18 x 4 inches

3.) Ortlieb: Transporter
http://ortlieb.com/_pdf_en/transporter.pdf
15.4 x 19.7 x 9.1 inches

4.) Ortlieb: Velocity
http://ortlieb.com/_pdf_en/velocity.pdf
11 x 18.5 x 5.9

5.) Osprey: Pixel
Pixel - Osprey Packs, Inc :2014: Official Site
13 x 18 x 7

6.) Mission Workshops: VX Sanction // 20 Liter
// Advanced Project // VX Sanction Rucksack || Mission Workshop
12'' x 18'' x 5''

7.) Mission Workshops: The Rambler
Backpack / Expandable + Weatherproof Rambler Roll Top Bag || Mission Workshop
13'' x 19'' x 5''

Any help/ reviews are much appreciated.

·
7,758 Posts
I don't have experience with any of those but I would be seriously disappointed by a pack without a small outside pocket for easy access to wallet, keys, etc.

·
Natural Born Killer
370 Posts
I don't know what your commute is like but I would highly recommend a pack that provides decent ventilation where it rests against your back. Some of those look like they would be very uncomfortable in warmer weather.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS FOR THE TIP!

I found the Banjo Brothers "Canvas Commuter Backpack" on sale for $69.99 (from $100):
Banjo Brothers Canvas Commuter Backpack at WesternBikeworks

Info:
Canvas Commuter Backpack (waterproof) | Banjo Brothers

Review:
'Canvas Commuter' Bike Backpack a Top Choice for City Riders | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

I think I will like how the waxed cotton canvas ages and conforms to my body, better than the synthetic. And, it still has a waterproof interior.

I can vouch for Banjo Brothers in general making a pretty good "bang for your buck" product (having used both a large backpack and large mess bag), but I can't speak for that particular model.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Make sure the pack you get doesn't create blind spots when you look over your shoulder. Osprey makes a commuter pack that has a low profile and minimal obstruction.

Personally, I don't like riding with a lot of weight on my back. I commuted for years with everything loaded on my back. The last 6 months I've gone to a handlebar bag for my commute. My back thanks me, greatly.

You may take a look at a porteur rack and bag system. Bikes handle much better when the front is loaded compared to the rear. Also, there is lees chance of frame failure with a front load. There are some classy canvas front bags that could double as a briefcase or a respectable duffle bag.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Make sure the pack you get doesn't create blind spots when you look over your shoulder. Osprey makes a commuter pack that has a low profile and minimal obstruction.
I have an Osprey commuter pack that has a built in rain cover and I love it. Also has a laptop sleeve which is water resistant even without the rain cover, a couple easily accessible pockets on the shoulder straps, lots of reflective surfaces on both the pack and the rain cover, a helmet holder. Basically, lots of cool features. It's called the Momentum 34.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Is there really no love anymore for Timbuk2 packs?? I rarely see them mentioned. Perhaps their quality has slipped? I really don't know.

I have a circa 2011 Timbuk2 Swig pack, sized medium methinks. It is awesome. All I could ask for and more!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Is there really no love anymore for Timbuk2 packs?? I rarely see them mentioned. Perhaps their quality has slipped? I really don't know.

I have a circa 2011 Timbuk2 Swig pack, sized medium methinks. It is awesome. All I could ask for and more!
I had one experience with Timbuk2, specifically their panniers. I didn't like them at all. I returned them and got Ortlieb ones instead.

·
Loud hubs save lives!
152 Posts
Deuter has some nice backpacks with excellent ventilation. I have a Race Air EXP, it's on the small size but works well if I'm careful with packing.

·
Registered
191 Posts

I have a Timbuk2 messenger style bag that I commuted with for a while. It was definitely waterproof, but it wasn't comfortable enough for me. My shoulder would be aching by the end and I kept having to adjust it and shift it around. I have a longer commute, so maybe it would be fine for something shorter. Now I commute with an Osprey Talon 22 -- it's not waterproof, but it's super comfortable.

·
7,758 Posts
^^ Osprey works for me all year all weather in Vermont. Choose a model with the integrated rain cover. Or don't get an Osprey and carry a few extra pounds rain or shine every day with a crazy waterproof model from someone else.

·
I'd rather be on my bike
2,749 Posts
I am using a Chrome Metropolis messenger bag for now. Quality is absurd. I got mine used, and it is so well made that most of the new bags that I have looked at, like the Timubk2 just pale in comparison. If I needed to take regular clothes to work with me there is no way that I would use a messenger bag. Luckily I can roll my scrubs up tightly so they don't take much room up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for Deuter. I'm on my second pack from them (Trans Alpine 30), and the previous one lasted ~8 years of daily commuting (and even then, its just the zipper that is partially broken - I still use it as a gym bag). Comfortable, lots of pockets, the hydration bladder pocket fits my laptop, and they come with a stowable rain cover.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I couldn't help but grab one of the Timbuk2 Especial backpacks on sale at Zappos for Memorial Day!

Medio: $111 (from $180):
Timbuk2 Especial Medio Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Tres: $126 (from $210):
Timbuk2 Especial Tres Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Cuatro: $206 (from $230):
Timbuk2 Especial Cuatro Cycling Backpack Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Others:
Timbuk2 Especial, Bags | Shipped Free at Zappos

I ended up with the Tres: based on all of the great recommendations, Thanks! I hope to also use it for carrying my pro camera gear on outdoor assignments (as well as daily bike commuting).

Here are a few online reviews (for both the non-fully-waterproof 2013 model, as well as the newly updated, waterproof 2014 model):
Especial Tres Cycling Backpack 2014
Road Tests :: Timbuk2 Especial Tres - Carryology - Exploring better ways to carry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmmXtCeTuv0
Shameless Traveler
Timbuk2 Especial Tres Review » Gadget Review
Brevity Review: Timbuk2 Especial Tres Cycling Backpack | LaptopMemo
Timbuk2 Especial Tres Backpack | Urban Velo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts