Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an aluminum 95 GT Zaskar has been getting lots of miles lately, and more recently developed a nasty BB creak.

I know you can use grease to solve the problem, but what other, more long lasting options are there? I've heard some mention of Teflon tape and anti-seize grease. Do these work any better than normal Park bearing grease?

Another question that's related. Would a sealed, 3 year old bottom bracket that has not be used in sandy condition start to crackle and pop, similar sound to a BB creak? I've often wondered if a BB creak from lack of grease could be from a BB Bearing actually giving up the ghost and just mashing all kinds of stuff.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Food for thought: Many bike sounds are transient, and can verb throughout the frame...

I'm sure you are pretty thorough, but also check (common culprits that often get blamed):

- Seatpost (is it greased, proper torque, etc?)
- Seatpost rails (see above)
- Loose Skewers (these devils get blamed for a lot of stuff!)

Anti-seize works well in the BB shell (at least I've have great results with it). It can be picked up at any auto parts store for about $4-6 a tube.

Hope this helps,

RW

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually got a big jar of that stuff that has lasted me years. I threw some on the cups, and what do ya know, no more squeaks.

I did the "BB Creak Test" where you press on one pedal with all your weight, and if makes a sound, the creaking normally heard is probably from your cups.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I remember reading somewhere about the older Zaskar's always having creaking problems. If I remember right, most of them fixed it temporarily by greasing it but it always came back in a few weeks. Sorry I couldn't help more.

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
My sealed cartridge octalink BB lasts about 3000-4000 miles in all weather riding rain/dust/mud/dirt, after that they wear out, develop a small play and start creaking. So if you used your BB for 3 years may as well replace it, octalink or square taper cartridge bearing BB cost around $20-35, but i know a guy who did not care about creaks and he run his BB for about 17,000 miles in all weather riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts